Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,220

1 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Plastic wrap over egg tub?

Do most people put plastic wrap over their egg tubs then the lid or do you just use the lid? Also, if you use plastic wrap what exactly is the purpose of the plastic wrap? I have read a few threads on using the plastic wrap but I still don't quite understand the theory behind it. Could someone shed some light on this for me please? Thank you!!!
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Plastic wrap over egg tub?

I use Press & Seal, this is how Wysocki showed me to do it and it works. Not exactly sure of any reasons other than holding humidity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FatBoy For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (03-04-2009)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

The plastic keeps the humidity in. Those lids are no where near tight enough too keep the humidity needed for the whole incubation process..

Think of it this way incubation is requires to separate but equal parts,

1: the incubator whose sole job is heat (producing even heat, maintaining even steady heat) that its only job
    2: the egg box whose sole job is humidity (producing even humidity, maintaining even steady humidity)

Put those two things together and you can incubate anything.. How ever if one isn't doing its job.. you get in trouble
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

ARamos8 (03-04-2009),Boanerges (03-04-2009)

Thanks

So with an air tight container you guys burp your egg tubs every how many days? 3, 5, once a week? And when you do lift an edge of the plastic wrap how long to you keep the edge lifted for to give the eggs freah air?
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am a candling addict so once a week I candle them to check growth. I vent mine every 7-10 days (when candling) for anywhere between 5-15 minutes.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (03-04-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    I am a candling addict so once a week I candle them to check growth. I vent mine every 7-10 days (when candling) for anywhere between 5-15 minutes.
    And you vent yours by lifting up a corner of the plastic wrap and leaving the tub in the incubator? Or do you take the plastic wrap completely off and put the lid back on and put it back in the incubator then in 10-15 mins come back and put new plastic wrap back on?
    Very sorry for making you have to go on a long drawn out explanation about this but I just want to make sure I completely understand what is going on!!! I appreciate all the help
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    And you vent yours by lifting up a corner of the plastic wrap and leaving the tub in the incubator? Or do you take the plastic wrap completely off and put the lid back on and put it back in the incubator then in 10-15 mins come back and put new plastic wrap back on?
    Very sorry for making you have to go on a long drawn out explanation about this but I just want to make sure I completely understand what is going on!!! I appreciate all the help
    I pull the whole box out take the plastic wrap off and the whole box is open..

Now understand I don't do this for the sole purpose of air exchange that is a byproduct of my OCD candling problem. Some people don't vent their boxes at all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (03-04-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used the press and seal last year and it worked great. I don't have time to check my eggs that often so in the past I did have some clutches that dryed out a bit before I checked on them again and I did lose a few eggs. I don't think it's that important if you're going to be checking on your eggs pretty often. Also, I don't think that air exchange is that important until the last few weeks of incubation.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (03-04-2009)

Thanks

We also use the Press n Seal and crack the egg boxes once weekly. I usually candle the eggs at that time or take photo's or whatever so they are likely open for a few moments of air exchange but not long enough to cool them unduly.

At day 53 I cut the eggs. After that I just use the lid of the box only and open the box every morning to check on the hatchlings and very lightly mist them from a small mister bottle I keep inside the incubator for that purpose.
    ~~Joanna~~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (03-04-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    We also use the Press n Seal and crack the egg boxes once weekly. I usually candle the eggs at that time or take photo's or whatever so they are likely open for a few moments of air exchange but not long enough to cool them unduly.

At day 53 I cut the eggs. After that I just use the lid of the box only and open the box every morning to check on the hatchlings and very lightly mist them from a small mister bottle I keep inside the incubator for that purpose.
    Okay...How come you choose day 53 to cut the eggs (roughly 60 days to hatch correct)? Why do you choose to cut the egg and not let them pip on their own? Why do you mist the eggs? Isn't the humidity high enough in the egg box already? Thanks
    Jeff Bernard