Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,287

2 members and 3,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Ban on pet primates

You cannot compare snakes with primates. Snakes are driven by instinct, not emotions. People can provide for a large snake as long as they take the necessary steps for protecting themselves, provide correct heating, space, and feeding. Its not rocket science.

Primates, however, are thinking, feeling, beings, with ideas of their own. A snake does not sit there and contimplate whether or not he likes you and whether or not he feels like attacking you because he's bored. (ok, well some of us have that one snake. ) A primate, if not cared for properly (even if he is) makes decisions, thinks about things ahead of time, and can be offended by you. They are not too far down the pole than we are. They are sad, happy, angry, depressed, excited, and have personalities all their own. They are like two year olds with fangs!

I don't think your average joe can support a primate both physically, financially, and mentally. You just can't provide the kind of stimulation he/she needs.

I think strict regulations need to be put into place. I think anyone considering a monkey for a pet (regardless of species) should have to go through a few years of in depth education, a few years of hands on experience (can be done at the same time) and have a home study done with a full inspection on the primate's to-be enclosure. Then and only then can the person be eligible for a permit. And even then, I think yearly or bi-yearly inspections need to be done to ensure the person is caring for the primate correctly. A lot of work, but it would help ensure the safety of the primates.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I'm not trying to argue with you, but elicit further explanation..

How about sugar gliders? Non-domesticated ungulates that are farmed in rural areas(everything from non-domesticated deer to musk ox)? ASFs?

Only the ungulates can I see an argument for them being domesticated to a certain degree.

I don't really consider any mammals except farm mammals, dogs, cats, and a handful of rodents(also farmed to a certain degree, such as rabbits and guinea pigs), to be domesticated. There are some non-domesticated mammals that I don't want to see any regulation over, except possibly in city settings(musk ox for example don't belong in a city, but I would have no problem with a complete lack of state laws about who is allowed to raise them in rural settings).
    No need to worry, a good debate is always healthy, and you bring up an excellent point! I guess sometimes I don't think about species such as sugar gliders or oxen, or rather, I tend to think of them as domesticated, as they are bred in captivity, and compared to some of the critters we had come through, quite "tame". But if I was to make another generalized statement (shame on me!) that also would not work properly.

This is a hard thing to ponder. How to do you regulate the ownership of potentially dangerous and easily abused animals without stepping on the rights to keep them?

I don't like seeing primates in regular homes, or baby tigers, or declawed bobcats (GR!), or anything of the sort.

I want to be able to keep foxes and wild cats and wolves if I choose to again.

But how to differentiate between experienced keepers like myself, and someone who buys a bobcat off the internet because its "Way cool". And who's to say that person buying that bobcat won't turn into a great owner and do the right thing? And who's to say they'll break off his teeth, declaw him, and then dump him in our rescue when he's torn up their house beyond belief. (True story, about five times over)

I like the ideas of permits and regulations . . . but I don't like the idea of some stranger coming to my house and telling me whether my facilities are good enough.

Its hard to find a middle ground here, where we regulate these animals without stepping on rights.

I also apologize once again for my generalized statement. I think my brain was fluff yesterday!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Yes, unfortunately most of us would love for other people to be regulated, while we would not be. Sigh.
    I don't think I've seen/heard of more than half a dozen private individuals that keep primates(of monkeys or apes) properly. And of those half dozen people, almost every one has had a injury to themselves, or others, at the hands of their animals.
    I do know of a lot of folks keeping large boids, venomous, or giant lizards, some without any incidents, most with minor ones.
    I know TONS of folks with dog bite incidents. So what does that tell me really? Technically, that says that dogs should be outlawed. That's not going to happen, though is it?
    Discussion is good. I hate that I feel there is a NEED to ban primates, but I just haven't seen any good in keeping them by private individuals. I know there ARE some folks good at keeping them, just those are so very rare.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Yes, unfortunately most of us would love for other people to be regulated, while we would not be. Sigh.
    I don't think I've seen/heard of more than half a dozen private individuals that keep primates(of monkeys or apes) properly. And of those half dozen people, almost every one has had a injury to themselves, or others, at the hands of their animals.
    I do know of a lot of folks keeping large boids, venomous, or giant lizards, some without any incidents, most with minor ones.
    I know TONS of folks with dog bite incidents. So what does that tell me really? Technically, that says that dogs should be outlawed. That's not going to happen, though is it?
    Discussion is good. I hate that I feel there is a NEED to ban primates, but I just haven't seen any good in keeping them by private individuals. I know there ARE some folks good at keeping them, just those are so very rare.
    EDUCATION. I say this over and over. Banning something keeps the people ignorant of it. It doesn't solve the problem - it just makes it more attractive to the underground traders. I grew up with a pet monkey. I hated that booger - he was MEAN! But, I can definitely remember good times when he would scratch my head looking for lice or something, or we would play peek-a-boo and stuff. I was fond of him even if he throws his food at me all the time and screams like a banshee if he feels neglected! My aunt and uncle (it was actually their pet, I spent summers with them) love him to bits. They don't treat him like a child or anything, they treated him like a pet MONKEY! But growing up with that monkey, I know I will never own one until I can devote all the time and effort that it needs! It is all about EDUCATION. Instead of spending all that money and energy keeping up a ban, spend the same money and energy educating people about them.

And permits is okay with me. They implemented a permit system for any snake with a potential of growing 8+ feet here in Florida. With the crisis happening in the Everglades, having somebody coming to my house to inspect my enclosure is a small price to pay to keep these snakes away from irresponsible owners.

Banning them all together does not accomplish the purpose. I am going to tell you, if you have a teen-ager and you tell him, NOPE! You can't have cocaine! No, no, no. He will just go to somebody else's house and get his cocaine fix from there. But, if you educate him on the effects of cocaine and why he should avoid it, you'll have a better chance of keeping him away from that stuff.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

You hit the nail on the head right there. Education is the key.

Thanks

I know that primate owners are saddened but I think primates are just too dangerous. Snakes, sure, they can kill you, but just look at the latest primate attacks. They're ripping people's faces off. To me, primates are just too unpredictable and powerful.
    I'm not afraid of snakes, because I got Balls!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMolenater2 View Post
    I know that primate owners are saddened but I think primates are just too dangerous. Snakes, sure, they can kill you, but just look at the latest primate attacks. They're ripping people's faces off. To me, primates are just too unpredictable and powerful.
    Death is less than ripping a face off?
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Dogs can rip off a face too. But a nasty dog attack is not unusual news. A primate attack is.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mooingtricycle View Post
    Death is less than ripping a face off?
    For me, yeah.

Thanks

Before you know it you will have to get a permit to go take a poop.
    Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs
    "Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident."

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy."

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast