Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

4 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Strange feeding habits

Hey,

I got a new BP, said to be hatched in October '08, bred by Marc Bailey. He said that he was feeding on live mice.

So a week after I get him, I offer a f/t adult mouse. After two minutes of looking at it, he strikes and constricts.

Another week later, he does not seem to be interested, but starts eating within 15 mins of me leaving the mouse in front of his hide (w/o constricting).

Four days later, I offer food, but he's not interested at all.

Today, two days after I last offered food, he's out and about so I decide to offer him another mouse. Does not seem interested, but oh yes, he starts eating it within 5 minutes of me leaving the mouse in front of his hide.

I told myself that if he misses two consecutive feedings, he's going into a smaller tub and I'll put that inside his cage.

The questions:

-Should he be striking his food and have a better feeding response?
    -If I put him in a tub, there's no room for both his small RBI hides AND his water bowl. Should I a) put one hide in or b) get a smaller water bowl with both hides?

OH, his cage right now is 24x18x15 (yes, I know this might be the cause, but he has perfect fitting hides nonetheless), and hot temps ~93, cool temps 82-85, ambient ~80. Poops normally.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Re: Strange feeding habits

A couple of things, Dutch. If he's eating without constricting, at least he's eating, right? It's better than the alternative. You know I feed only F/T at this time since all my guys will take it, and every once in a while, one of them will just ease over and eat it with out striking...then the next week they'll hit it like a dump truck. As long as they're eating, I try not to stress out about it too much.

Also, before you make the change to the tub, you could try crumpling up some big balls of newspaper and putting them in the cage. Might give the snake a feeling of being in a smaller enclosure. That way you can still have all the cage furniture you need in there.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    A couple of things, Dutch. If he's eating without constricting, at least he's eating, right? It's better than the alternative. You know I feed only F/T at this time since all my guys will take it, and every once in a while, one of them will just ease over and eat it with out striking...then the next week they'll hit it like a dump truck. As long as they're eating, I try not to stress out about it too much.

Also, before you make the change to the tub, you could try crumpling up some big balls of newspaper and putting them in the cage. Might give the snake a feeling of being in a smaller enclosure. That way you can still have all the cage furniture you need in there.
    Yeah Slim, that's what I thought too, but the snake was obviously constricting a month ago as it was still eating live.

The switch to tub will be temporary, until he's big enough for the actual cage.

I'll try the newspaper as well, but I also have extra sphagnum moss.

Like I said, two consecutive feedings missed and he's going in the tub.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Hey,

I got a new BP, said to be hatched in October '08, bred by Marc Bailey. He said that he was feeding on live mice.

So a week after I get him, I offer a f/t adult mouse. After two minutes of looking at it, he strikes and constricts.

Another week later, he does not seem to be interested, but starts eating within 15 mins of me leaving the mouse in front of his hide (w/o constricting).

Four days later, I offer food, but he's not interested at all.

Today, two days after I last offered food, he's out and about so I decide to offer him another mouse. Does not seem interested, but oh yes, he starts eating it within 5 minutes of me leaving the mouse in front of his hide.

I told myself that if he misses two consecutive feedings, he's going into a smaller tub and I'll put that inside his cage.

The questions:

-Should he be striking his food and have a better feeding response?
    -If I put him in a tub, there's no room for both his small RBI hides AND his water bowl. Should I a) put one hide in or b) get a smaller water bowl with both hides?

OH, his cage right now is 24x18x15 (yes, I know this might be the cause, but he has perfect fitting hides nonetheless), and hot temps ~93, cool temps 82-85, ambient ~80. Poops normally.
    Nothing wrong with him eating without constricting, so long as he's eating there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Maybe he's smart enough to know that the animal is already dead, why waste the energy to constrict?

JonV

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nevohraalnavnoj For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (02-25-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Is this your Normal guy or your Bino?

I understand about the tub, but keep in mind that switching to a tub is also another change to the environment that he'll have to get used to...know what I'm sayin' Bro?
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Is this your Normal guy or your Bino?

I understand about the tub, but keep in mind that switching to a tub is also another change to the environment that he'll have to get used to...know what I'm sayin' Bro?
    It's my bino.

Yeah, I realize the tub thing. That's why I only want to do it after two missed feedings and I won't switch him back for another year then or so.

But I'll see how it goes, thanks guys.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Thanks

I've had fed F/T a few times and one of my normals doesn't strike or constrict, he just swallows it. I don't think theres a problem there bud.
    2.2 normals Lucifer, Herbie Hancock, Cruella De Ville and Lillith

*fingers crossed for pastel and spider*

Thanks

why waste energy striking and constricting when you can just eat away. some snakes that are just fed f/t does this and some dont and i have seen some do it one week and back to the regular way the week after. heck ive seen one try it with a live rodent once that was interesting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    why waste energy striking and constricting when you can just eat away. some snakes that are just fed f/t does this and some dont and i have seen some do it one week and back to the regular way the week after. heck ive seen one try it with a live rodent once that was interesting
    The main problem was that the snake didn't even seem interested, and only started feeding when the mouse was in its enclosure without me offering it to him.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?