Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

2 members and 3,416 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Last meal 1/19/09 - refusing to eat

I'm not panicking - yet... but I did think it was a good idea to post and see if those with more knowledge and experience have anything to add. Nothing has changed in his environment, and as you can see from the chart that follows, my BP has been an aggressive eater - eating anywhere from 9% to 26% of his body weight twice a month for the first 8 months that I had him.

But his last meal was 1/19/09, and he's refused any further meals. For the last 4 weeks I've been mommy to 3 adorable rats, but I really don't want to be a rat mommy. I tried pre-scenting with a mouse last week, and it still didn't work. He's either scared or just not interested.

At what point do I start to really worry?

We're all a little weird and life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up in mutual weirdness and call it love.

Thanks

Re: Last meal 1/19/09 - refusing to eat

I have three that stopped feeding between 1/1 & 1/19 they are still off feed,male mojave 451g,female pastel 1017g,normal female 3660g.I still try every week no luck,Im not stressing at all(well maybe on my pastel because I want to breed her next year)this is what they do,try a ASF rat that may work.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greghall View Post
    this is what they do
    Do you mean this is just what BP's do from time to time? Or is it this time of year? Or what?

I'm looking at his growth and wondering if he's just all grown up now, and going to slow down on his food intake. Starting in December he had his biggest meal ever, and then went down to his smallest meal ever (logical) but that's when he got his first "taste" (or lack thereof?) of refusal.... and has been refusing since... at least part of what was offered to him.
    We're all a little weird and life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up in mutual weirdness and call it love.

Thanks

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree here, but maybe the refusals started with you offering a significantly bigger rat than it had ever seen before. But the length of time that it has not eaten so far is really nothing to be worried about although non feeding is aggravating to us all.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by judiilana View Post
    Do you mean this is just what BP's do from time to time? Or is it this time of year? Or what?

I'm looking at his growth and wondering if he's just all grown up now, and going to slow down on his food intake. Starting in December he had his biggest meal ever, and then went down to his smallest meal ever (logical) but that's when he got his first "taste" (or lack thereof?) of refusal.... and has been refusing since... at least part of what was offered to him.
    ALL OF THE ABOVE! try different prey,smaller size every week,switch up tubs,hides even a car ride,Im not going to worry about mine till april thats when alot go back on feed.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

My male hasn't eaten in months. Last year he went 6 months and still looked and acted perfectly healthy otherwise. Most likely, just that time of year...
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

We are welcoming you with open arms to the Non-Feeding-Snake club.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=85425

You will soon be getting a virtual t-shirt and ID card.

My pastel went on a no-food-diet a few days after yours. SHE FINALLY ATE TODAY! YEAY! I moved her out of her 55gal to a 20gal last Sunday. I don't know if the change in enclosure did it, or if it was just "time" for her to start eating. Really, I have stopped worrying about it every time she refuses. I just look at her enclosure and ask myself what can I improve on... whether it does the trick or not, I don't really much care - well, not yet. When she starts to lose significant weight, then it's off to the vet we go.

By the way, AWESOME record keeping you got there! I am VERY impressed!
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Good lord he gets way too much food. I would go off feed too if I got Thanksgiving dinner every single day.. Jeez.

Stick with about 50-65g of food every 7-10 days. He's an adult and as a male, doesn't need much at all to maintain his weight and grow. He hardly needs 250g of food.. No wonder he's refusing. Not even huge breeder females get that much.

Let him rest for 2-3 weeks without trying to feed him, then try a weaned/small rat that is 50-65g or two medium adult mice. He doesn't NEED anymore than that. He's only taking 4-5 mice at a time because he's still in "Feed Mode". Of course he'll eat it if it's offered.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Good lord he gets way too much food. I would go off feed too if I got Thanksgiving dinner every single day.. Jeez.

Stick with about 50-65g of food every 7-10 days. He's an adult and as a male, doesn't need much at all to maintain his weight and grow. He hardly needs 250g of food.. No wonder he's refusing. Not even huge breeder females get that much.

Let him rest for 2-3 weeks without trying to feed him, then try a weaned/small rat that is 50-65g or two medium adult mice. He doesn't NEED anymore than that. He's only taking 4-5 mice at a time because he's still in "Feed Mode". Of course he'll eat it if it's offered.
    Hi Becky, new to snakes here. I was reading some posts that says to feed the snake 10%-15% of his body weight. I guess that just applies to juvies? That always confused me because they also say an ASF cannot outgrow a bp, while a rat will - which, to me, implies that a big rat (100+g) will be too big for an adult bp.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

I don't do the 10-15% of body weight. I look at the snake and calculate in my mind how much they reasonably can take and what they cannot. If they did well with two medium adult mice last time, then that's what they get. If they did well with one hopper mouse last feed, that's what they get or they get bumped up to a small adult.

My adult females don't get anymore than about 80-100g of food every 7-10 days(longer if they don't look like they need it). The OP has an adult male who can easily gain tons of weight off of 65g of food or less every 7-10 days.

Smaller more frequent meals, in general, will get better results than huge, less frequent meals. 330g of food, which is what he got for ONE meal, is absolutely too much food. I can't think of anyone who feeds even their largest adult females that much. Not even Blood Pythons get that much food since their metabolisms are even slower than Ball Pythons.

Feeding that much in one meal is just going to lead to a huge bowel movement since most of that food will go to waste. Frequent large bowel movements means the snake is getting too much and it's just passing on through. Less frequent, small bowel movements means they are digesting everything and are using the nutrients instead of just converting to waste.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast