Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,571

4 members and 2,567 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question Length of snake vs Dimensions of tank

Okay, I know this topic has been discussed before but every response I get and every care sheet I look at seems to give me different answers that are in no way similar or related. I'm in the process of buying new tanks for my balls so I would like to clear up any misconceptions before I go ahead and settle on the tank sizes.

As far as I'm concerned:

The avg female ball python: 4'-4.5' (48"-54")
    The avg male ball python: 3'-3.5' (36"-42")

I know this varies from snake to snake based on feeding schedules

This is where the confusion kicks in...
    Some say:

- The length of the tank should be at least half of the ball python's length so a 20 gallon (24 inches in length) should suffice for 3 foot male ball.

- The length + width of the tank should accommodate the length of the snake so a 20L gallon (30"x12") should suffice for a ball python up to 42".

Do any of you support any of these rules of thumb or have any to share?

I'm currently looking into getting two 20L gallons for both my balls. My female is about 2.5 feet and my male is 3 feet. I've got a storage system from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S89850851) where the tanks are going to go and I would just like to make sure that these tanks will be okay until they outgrow them.

Tubs are not an option for me since I only own 2 ball pythons and probably won't be getting any more for another couple of years. Although I appreciate the fact that many of you will start suggesting that I get tubs, let's try and stay on topic

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Length of snake vs Dimensions of tank

Ha Ha Ha

I just replied to a similar thread... average adult BP enclosure on the market is 33.5" x 17.5" x 6" and larger. He would be great in a 20 gal. but you would want to consider upgrading the size further down the road.

Back in the day I used to have 2 adult males in a 40 gal. tank and they loved it but it was hard to keep the humidity up due to the screen top but covering about 80% of it with plastic helps as well as a humid hide. I switched to rack systems cause of the amount of snakes I have now and not necessarily because of the size.
    ~Jessica~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsmorphs2 View Post
    Ha Ha Ha

I just replied to a similar thread... average adult BP enclosure on the market is 33.5" x 17.5" x 6" and larger. He would be great in a 20 gal. but you would want to consider upgrading the size further down the road.

Back in the day I used to have 2 adult males in a 40 gal. tank and they loved it but it was hard to keep the humidity up due to the screen top but covering about 80% of it with plastic helps as well as a humid hide. I switched to rack systems cause of the amount of snakes I have now and not necessarily because of the size.
    I've got each of them in their own 20G right now. But the male seems a bit cramped in his so I'm upgrading to a 20L and hoping it will last him from then on.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

^^Bump^^

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Anyone? Anyone? ...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Unless you have a humongous female, a 20L should be fine for them for their whole life. As long as you can fit two appropriately sized hides and a water bowl, you should be fine.

I use tubs and only have two snakes (Shameless tub plug), so I am not really familiar with the dimensions of tanks vs size of a BP. The biggest tub I would use for an adult BP would be a 32qt which is about 8 gallons. Then again, tubs lack a lot of the height that tanks offer. Based on this, I would assume a 20L would be suitable.

I would be a little wary of that shelving unit though:
    Product description & measurements
    Post/ shelf:
    Solid pine or spruce
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Unless you have a humongous female, a 20L should be fine for them for their whole life. As long as you can fit two appropriately sized hides and a water bowl, you should be fine.

I use tubs and only have two snakes (Shameless tub plug), so I am not really familiar with the dimensions of tanks vs size of a BP. The biggest tub I would use for an adult BP would be a 32qt which is about 8 gallons. Then again, tubs lack a lot of the height that tanks offer. Based on this, I would assume a 20L would be suitable.

I would be a little wary of that shelving unit though:
    Product description & measurements
    Post/ shelf:
    Solid pine or spruce
    Thank you for the response.
    The measurements are just right to fit the dimensions of the tank
    The snakes won't be coming into any contact with the pine. I was also planning on treating it with lacquer before using it. Will any of this cause a problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Thank you for the response.
    The measurements are just right to fit the dimensions of the tank
    The snakes won't be coming into any contact with the pine. I was also planning on treating it with lacquer before using it. Will any of this cause a problem?
    I am not really an expert on woods (although I should be, being an architecture major) but I am pretty sure it is the oils in the pine that cause the problems, and the oils also give off a smell. If you seal it with something, it should be fine, but don't quote me on that.

Thats nice it fits the tank dimensions!
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I am not really an expert on woods (although I should be, being an architecture major) but I am pretty sure it is the oils in the pine that cause the problems, and the oils also give off a smell. If you seal it with something, it should be fine, but don't quote me on that.

Thats nice it fits the tank dimensions!
    Hm... I hope this won't cause a problem
    I'll definitely seal it with something
    I know pine is harmful to the snakey-poos
    I just didn't realize that's what the shelf was made out of until you brought it to my attention...

Thanks

When I looked for info how big viv I should have everyone around gave me answer: 2/3 of snake's width... so for adult BP it's length 1000 - 1200mm (3.2 - 3.9ft). that's why I have 1000x500x500 (lengthxwidthxheight in mm). Hope it makes sense

0.1 - Normal Ball Python... Note: English is not my native... so please bear with me