Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

0 members and 3,325 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Cleaning bedding...

I am using Aspen Snake Bedding. Is it easy to tell the spots where a snake pees in the bedding? I heard to just scoup them out, but will I easily see that they are there or will I have to look for them? Of course I can easily see a poo, but is peeing just as noticable?

Also can I tell if my snake is drinking water? I never see my snake leave its hide so I just don't know if it is drinking or if it even moves at all in the cage. I only just bought my Ball Python earlyer this week (it's about 6 months old). I never see it leave it's one cool hide (I have two one on the hot side and one on the cool side beside the water). The only times I have known that it has moved, is today there was poo outside the hide, and the first couple days I only ever saw it in the cool hide so I put it in the warm hide in the evening and it stayed there all evening but in the morning It was again in the cool hide and has seemed to stay there ever since(besides noticing the poo today). Like I said I only got it earlyer this week, so iss it just excessively hiding because it is getting used to it's new home, or do they usually never come out? I was told the snake will move from one side of the cage to the other depending on if it wants to be warmer or cooler. I know they generally just chill in their hide I just wish I knew it was actually drinking water and moving if it is too cold or if it is just staying there because it likes the temp. Or does it just need more time to ease into its new habbitat before he starts to move around. I am expecting everyone to tell me that everything will be fine and that I am just worrying too much becasue I am a new owner, but i am a better safe then sorry kinda person so I wanted to hear others opinions on the matter. I have studdied a lot about how to care for a ball, just never actually learned on how they are gonna act in their environment.

Thanks

Re: Cleaning bedding...

I'm not sure if your new ball being in the hide on the cool side so often is an issue. I do know that they will remain in their hides almost 90% of the time. They are nocturnal, so you'll see him out and about moreso at night.

What are your temps on the warm side and on the cool side? Also, if you can post a pic of your setup, that'd help too!

Edit:
    I also use aspen bedding and haven't had any problems spotting their sewage! The urine is usually white/yellowish and hardens into a lump that looks somewhat like calcium. I'm still learning myself, so anything I post that is incorrect, please correct me!
    Last edited by CruelHerbie; 02-21-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: missed the bedding
    2.2 normals Lucifer, Herbie Hancock, Cruella De Ville and Lillith

*fingers crossed for pastel and spider*

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

A hiding BP is a happy BP!

I use aspen bedding and it is pretty obvious when they have peed. Aspen absorbs it pretty well so you won't have to dump out all the bedding just to clean up the pee pee. I just pick up all the bedding in the spot where the pee is. Tada!

As for drinking, I have seen my ball python drink once. It is a rare sight. I usually catch her right before or after she drinks. She hates being watched I guess

What are you temps? How are you measuring them? What is your heat source and how are your controlling it? What kind of hides do you have?

I only ask because generally a ball python will spend most of its time on the warm end. Its not uncommon for a snake to be on the cool end, but I just want to make sure you are doing whats right for your new darling!!

Congrats and welcome!
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Yeah, I think that I've witnessed only one of my balls drink and that was on one occasion.

Thanks

A couple of my balls have drank water when I was holding them. I would be putting them back in their tub and had just changed the water. Keep in mind, I've had them much longer than a week so they are used to me.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CruelHerbie View Post
    I'm not sure if your new ball being in the hide on the cool side so often is an issue. I do know that they will remain in their hides almost 90% of the time. They are nocturnal, so you'll see him out and about moreso at night.

What are your temps on the warm side and on the cool side? Also, if you can post a pic of your setup, that'd help too!

Edit:
    I also use aspen bedding and haven't had any problems spotting their sewage! The urine is usually white/yellowish and hardens into a lump that looks somewhat like calcium. I'm still learning myself, so anything I post that is incorrect, please correct me!
    Right now I got :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:ty stick on themometers, so I need to get ones with a probe. Their temp difference is usually only like 5 degrees but again they aren't great, to the touch I can tell a differnce in temp to the two hides. I do have a setup pic posted. It's in the "I got my first ball python" post in the general forum. THe black hide is the cool, the rock is the hot. THe UTH is by the hot. I knew they were nocturnal and do go out more at night, just when I am watching TV at night with all the lights off he still never came out. I figured this was probably normal, but didn't know for sure.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    Right now I got :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:ty stick on themometers, .
    I didn't know I would get the CENSOR faces.LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    I didn't know I would get the CENSOR faces.LOL
    Yeah, welcome to the G rated forum

How are you controlling your UTH?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Also, you can pick up an Acu-Rite thermometer that will monitor the heat on both sides via a probe and also the humidity. You can find them at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot. I found mine in the paint section at Walmart. Its a good way to go as they're reliable and only $12.00! I would also suggest you get some velcro tape as you have to mount the unit in the tank

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CruelHerbie For This Useful Post:

vangarret2000 (02-21-2009)