Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,983

4 members and 2,979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

feeding live for the 1st few times

Hello again,

1st thanks for all the wonderful advise on this site...it is awesome info for a beginner.

Anyway, My bo (5 month BP) ate live (fuzzy)for the first time on 2/17. He has been feeding on frozen as he came from petsmart. But, I could not get him to eat for over a month until I gave him a live fuzzy. So, I think I am going to keep feeding live at least until I get him on a good feeding schedule. I think he is big enough for a hopper. But, am worried with his lack of experiance with the live if he will get hurt. So, should I keep on with the fuzzy until he gets more experiance hunting?

Thanks!
    MB

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: feeding live for the 1st few times

Hatchling ball pythons can take a live hopper mouse as their first meal, so you should be fine with a small adult mouse.

Pre-scent, by placing the enclosure you have the mouse in near the snake's enclosure for about 15 to 30 minutes. When you see your snake peek its head out of the hide looking interested, drop the mouse at the opposite end of the enclosure to give your snake time to set up for the strike.

Once every five to seven days should be a good schedule for a young ball python.