Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,208

1 members and 3,207 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Pros and Cons of Asf verses reg rats

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    This is just my take on ASF's

1. They don't smell as bad as rats (urine)
    2. You can leave the male with the females, you can't with regular rats
    3. They don't get as big as regular rats so they won't outgrow your BP

Mike C can answer more I'm sure

just wondering,why can't you leave male reg. rats with females?
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks

I think they are both suitable animals to keep, depending on what animals you're feeding them too. In that respect, I can honestly say that neither is better than the other, but that you should use which animal is best for YOUR situation.

There are key differences.

ASF's are smaller, so they will be an ideal feeding size for smaller snakes like colubrids and small pythons for a longer period of time.

ASF's thrive in a colony environment, where the only space you need is for the grow ups. Whereas domestic rats are just plain larger in size (up to 8x in weight) and need more room, food, water etc.

Since ASF's are smaller, they don't produce as much waste as an adult norway rat and this affects the odor, but compared to a domestic rat of the same size, they do produce the same amounts. Now, where the baby rats are still nursing from the mother, the ASF's are already eating lab block and seeds.

I personally find the ASF's urine and waste to smell incredibly horribly terrible compared to norway rats, although it isnt a very STRONGLY permeating odor.

ASF's aren't very domestic, and frighten easily until they are older and used to humans. Norway rats are generally calm with humans, and actually can make great pets if you wish to socialize with them regularly.

ASF's are incredible chewers, and for some people that is reason enough to not keep them. They are busy animals and need stimulation to keep from destroying their habitat.

Again, ASF's are illegal in a lot of states because they are viewed as an aggressivly invasive species that can do a lot of damage to the natural environment in a short amount time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

ThyTempest (02-23-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

a question that sort of goes with this... is it possible to control the population in an ASF colony? I'm afraid with ASFs I will be overpopulated rather quickly, while with rats I can simply not introduce the male anymore if i get overrun. I'm planning on freezing the majority btw, so size really doesn't matter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smith285 View Post
    a question that sort of goes with this... is it possible to control the population in an ASF colony? I'm afraid with ASFs I will be overpopulated rather quickly, while with rats I can simply not introduce the male anymore if i get overrun. I'm planning on freezing the majority btw, so size really doesn't matter
    A kind of simple way to control the population is to remove the male, and feed him off once you have a litter. Then, leave a male in with the females to grow up with him. I have done it multiple times, and they should do just fine. If not, you can put the siblings together, but the wait period is longer for them to start up again.

It isn't a perfect system, it will take a while to get them going again, but it is a simple way to do it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

Smith285 (02-23-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post

You don't feel bad feeding off an ASF.

X 10!!!!!! The line of ASFs that I purchased have given me so many problems...

Thanks

My male got out today ( thank's son) and the bugger bit me! The bite was smaller then a domestic rat's bite but it still bled like crazy! Domestic rats can seperate thier top teeth so it does more damage.
    Too many pets to list!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    Rats stink.

You don't feel bad feeding off an ASF.
    LOL thats true. I get bit while changing out the food and water. The biters are the first to get fed off and i always feel better like Sweet revenge.

A couple days ago i lifted up the hide to check on a couple litters that dropped the night before. I made the mistake of sticking my finger into the opening of the hide to get a better grip. Im still bleeding...
    My friends come over and ask if they can hold the ASF's. I smile and say sure. While im passing them the rat im holding the tail and humming the music to JAWS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12