Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

1 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pros and Cons of Asf verses reg rats

Hi am hoping to start raising feeders but wanted some opinions of the pros and cons of each of these.

Does one breed longer than the other?
    Does one have more babies in a litter?
    Is one easier than the other?
    Can you keep all rats together like the ASFs?
    Is one healthier than the other?

Just anything at all you all can tell me about these two would be greatly appreciated.

Think hubby is going to make me a rack with cement pans. We only found small and large and really wanted med but might have to go with one of those.

Anyway any info you can share would be greatly appreciated
    rhsm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Pros and Cons of Asf verses reg rats

This is just my take on ASF's

1. They don't smell as bad as rats (urine)
    2. You can leave the male with the females, you can't with regular rats
    3. They don't get as big as regular rats so they won't outgrow your BP

Mike C can answer more I'm sure
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rats grow very fast which is great but they also outgrow ideal size very fast
    Rats are friendly
    Rat have a longer productive life

ASF grow slow but never outgrow ideal size
    ASF do not smell
    ASF have a tendency to bite (watch out for your fingers)
    ASF are illegal in some states
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Breeding longevity I think is about the same as far as I know, but ASF's can and typically do breed back to back since the male is left in with the breeding colony. I say typically because almost everyone elses ASF's breed like machines...and mine don't. Also, keep in mind that while ASF's breed back to back, that is typically not recommended for rats. We give our moms at least a 2 week break in between litters, and usually it is more like a month, especially if she lost some weight while nursing.

Both rats and ASF's are really easy. On one hand, rats are more tame/calm and will be easier to clean, remove babies, etc...but ASF's wont need to be cleaned nearly as often. We clean our rat tubs every week or so, depending on the tub, and our ASF's only need cleaning every 2-3 weeks.

Litter size varies more from female to female than from species to species in my opinion. Our ASF's litters from young and/or virgin moms have been anywhere from 9-12. Our rats vary from 8-14. From what I hear with other peoples experiences, I think ASF's litters tend to be bigger, but not until the female is into the swing of breeding.

Not really sure what you mean by the last two questions...but ASF colonies are usually permanent once they are estabilished. Most people have a hard time introducing or reintroducing another ASF once it has been removed. Rats typically move around and socialize without any problems, just make sure that if you have more than one male in a tub, it is an only male tub. Also, take special care not to overcrowd in any case, but especially the males and birthing moms.

As far as healthiness...if you mean is one a better feeder, than no, they are both the same. However, keep the size and growth rates in mind. Rat pinks start out much bigger than ASF/mice pinks, and grow very fast, and will be quite large within a month or so. ASF's start out much smaller, grow slower and overall do not get as big as adults. Adult females are about the size of a big retired breeder mouse, and the boys are about the size of a small rat.

If you are going to use a rack, make sure you build it right for the species you want to use. ASF's need 1/4" hardware cloth and rats need 1/2".

PS- I like our rats way more than our ASF's. We got our ASF's for a picky bp, and she still isnt eating. We enjoy having and breeding our rats just as much , if not more, than our reptile/exotics collection. I agree, ASF's smell is almost unnoticeable, while you will definitely know if you are breeding rats. The biggest thing is to just keep on top of cleaning them, vacuuming a lot, and if you can, have plenty of ventilation. An exhaust fans helps a ton (Thanks Connie)...unfortunately we really dont have a good setup to run one, especially in the winter.

PSS- Another thing I forgot to include. Escapee ability and motive. Rats are content to chill, and even when we have had "escapes" (open the tub, they jump up on top of the food and cruise around) you can tell they are content with being around you and dont fuss about going back in their tubs. Escapee ASF's are a pain to catch in the first place, and we have had so many rocket jump right back out the second they touch the ground, barely getting out again before we shut the lid. Grr!
    Last edited by ThyTempest; 02-21-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Pros
    less smell
    BPs love them
    large litters
    they become pregnant as soon as they birth a litter.

Cons
    they grow slowly
    they'll chew out of plastic enclosures, and will destroy some styles of water-bottle
    some lines are biters
    they jump fast and far, and bounce like a superball when dropped in a tub.
    they're illegal in some states

Thanks

I dont have too much problems with my ASF. I like them for the large litter size. They are slower growers but for picky balls they usually do the trick.
    They can be jumpy. I personally still clean them twice a week with my other rodents. because they are in the house and the smell of them does bother me. I think Id die if I went three weeks.
    I havent had a problem with them ruining things like water bottles or chewing out of their cages. Typically my breeders I keep for about a year. I have had lots of fun breeding them. Working with different color, pattern. and my pink eyes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I love my ASF except I have only found one plastic container that they havent chewed out of tho!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

A pro for "regular" rats is that they are also good for cross species feeding. They may outgrow BPs, but if you have any snakes that are larger(bloods, boas, large carpets?) you may very well want a source for rats that are too big for BP feeding.

I'm planning on eventually picking up few snakes of some larger species eventually, and will likely breed reg. rats rather than ASFs for that particular reason.

Plus I can keep the breeders as pets, I love rats they're just so fun.

Thanks

Cons they grow slooooowwwww!
    Pros everything is better than reg. Rats!
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Rats stink.

You don't feel bad feeding off an ASF.