Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

2 members and 3,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Feeding Rats Dog Food?

It's all about reading labels. I've been using Sprout Dog food from Mills Fleet Farm for many years now. I occaisionally suppliment with sunflower seeds, but not too often. It doesn't seem to affect production.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Whitehead View Post
    I give my rats a combination...

Rat Chow, dog food (low protien), pasta, and some dried breads... half Rat chow, the rest is a combo of the other products.

Bruce
    Pretty much the same here. The dog food is high protein, but I offer it rarely. I also offer Total cereal and rolled oats as part of the add ons to the base (Mazuri). Every once in a while I'll offer a tiny bit of salad, Cheerios, fruits, etc. as treats. I have to say, I have 3 rats + 2 litters right now and it really doesn't smell much at all. And they all have really good sizes on them.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
    be careful with sunflowers seeds and amounts....

they are super high in fat, if your rats plump up big, back off.

I feed block/hog feed/seed

Seed is the thing that the amount you offer is based on how the rats look.

Rats can live very happily on block alone....hog food stretches the lab block

The seed is more of a treat that anything but it does add minerals
    I just feed them the sunflower seeds to add some healthy fat to their diet. I definitely don't over do them.

Thanks

I'm curious if anyone is concerned about the BHA in the Mazuri? I know it's controversial, but I don't feel comfortable feeding that to any animals (or myself!). Do you think it's possible to be somehow stored in the rodent and then into the snake?

I'm currently using a mix of dog foods on my pet rats, and the Kaytee Block. ProPac and Natural Balance Vegetarian are the two dog foods I use. I'm looking into getting the Harlan too, but was just curious about the BHA and if it's a concern at all.

Thanks for all the info and ideas everyone, I'm learning a lot for when I start raising feeders.

Thanks

Is Rabbit food OK for rats? The one I was looking at seemed to be about the same nutrient-wise, but I dont know if the difference in ingredients (more alfalfa, less seed/nut/corn) would cause any issues. The reason I ask is that its readily available at wal-mart for only $7/20lb bag.
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@OutbackReptiles View Post
    Is Rabbit food OK for rats? The one I was looking at seemed to be about the same nutrient-wise, but I dont know if the difference in ingredients (more alfalfa, less seed/nut/corn) would cause any issues. The reason I ask is that its readily available at wal-mart for only $7/20lb bag.
    No, they can't digest the alfalfa and won't thrive on that food. I buy Mazuri 6f for $18/50 lbs, so it is a little cheaper than the rabbit food, and I know that my rats are getting a balanced diet. You can also try one of the "people-food" mixes (as I call them) for your rats, if the Mazuri is out of reach.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sassy-pants View Post
    No, they can't digest the alfalfa and won't thrive on that food. I buy Mazuri 6f for $18/50 lbs, so it is a little cheaper than the rabbit food, and I know that my rats are getting a balanced diet. You can also try one of the "people-food" mixes (as I call them) for your rats, if the Mazuri is out of reach.
    Thank you. Good thing I asked

I'll probably try to pick up some Mazuri from White Plains tomorrow. I have been feeding low protein dog food but its causing the nasty poo problem ( I assume due to the meat content )
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sassy-pants View Post

where are you located?

Thanks

Colorado. Why?

Thanks

I've been trying to get my hands on some Mazuri6f for a while. Ordering it online costs me $55 for a 50lb bag and that is just too much so I'm calling around today to see if anyone can order it in for me for a cheaper price. I've been feeding some cheap block food since my only other option is paying $7/2lb of Mazuri or feeding dog food, so I've been feeding a mix of dog food and this block and everyone is doing fine on it. I have two mice that just had decent sized litters (19 babies total). I'm about to go check the dog food's ingredients and see if this would be an acceptable diet until I can get block. They are greasy on it and smell bad though, so maybe I won't use it once its gone. Can anyone recommend a diet that won't make them greasy but is a good price? (other than Mazuri and such, as I am having a hard time finding someone to order those types of foods)
    Under Construction.....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast