Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,445

2 members and 2,443 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Sweet hybrid hook up

Not into hybrids, but don't knock others. One question, is crossing different species of boas considered hybrids? ex Hogg Island X Puruvian or Normal X Hogg. Just wondering, my partner who deals with the boas crossed a Hogg X normal and got some pretty good looking babies. Also saw a cross between a Puruvian and Hypo normal and it looked very nice. Are these hybrids or just crosses??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    Not gonna hate here.....totally think that this is a waste, but not gonna go there.

My serious question to you...for reals....

Why? To do it just to do it?

What is the purpose of this?

Please, not tryin to hate, just want to know.
    Pat i too am into hybrids. i think they are amazing animals. they are very different looking and have interesting patterns. i like just about all hybrids out there. the corn hybrids are little.....idk. but the pyton ones just look really cool.

so the answer to your question for most would be just for looks.

Thanks

I am interested to see what pops out I am not against hybrids, but do think that they should be microchiped so that if they are resold they can be identified (of course I think any animal that will be sold should be microchipped}. But that is just my own humble opion. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Portal Reptile View Post
    because i like them....
    Wow. Just wow.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Not into hybrids, but don't knock others. One question, is crossing different species of boas considered hybrids? ex Hogg Island X Puruvian or Normal X Hogg. Just wondering, my partner who deals with the boas crossed a Hogg X normal and got some pretty good looking babies. Also saw a cross between a Puruvian and Hypo normal and it looked very nice. Are these hybrids or just crosses??
    If they are the same species and subspecies, then they are not hybrids. That doesn't mean they are pure blooded either. Many people in the boa world would consider them mutts. It would be no different then crossing a cornsnake from Florida with a cornsnake from North Carolina. They are two completely different populations with different looks, but the same species.

There are probably as many people who are as passionate about locality pure animals as there are people who are passionate about hybrids. I see them as two extreme ends of the snake keeping hobby as a whole.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (02-19-2009),Holbeird (02-23-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    If they are the same species and subspecies, then they are not hybrids. That doesn't mean they are pure blooded either. Many people in the boa world would consider them mutts. It would be no different then crossing a cornsnake from Florida with a cornsnake from North Carolina. They are two completely different populations with different looks, but the same species.

There are probably as many people who are as passionate about locality pure animals as there are people who are passionate about hybrids. I see them as two extreme ends of the snake keeping hobby as a whole.
    Exactly how do the genetics work with hybrids like carpets and balls? Both have different body structures, and one gets much larger but is not as thick in proportion body wise as the ball.
    I'm going to assume all babies are sterile as well?

Thanks

What are you going to do with the offspring?

Do you have a guaranteed way to prevent these animals from getting mixed up later on when/if they are in other peoples hands and muddying up bloodlines in the future?

I wont hate on it, if you are approaching this in a responsible manner, and can Guarantee that the offspring you produce will never ever get mixed up into the bloodlines of either species. ( I will give the same to ANYONE producing hybrids)

If you have no plan... you need to start thinking of one.
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mooingtricycle For This Useful Post:

Holbeird (02-23-2009),Spaniard (02-19-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mooingtricycle View Post
    What are you going to do with the offspring?

Do you have a guaranteed way to prevent these animals from getting mixed up later on when/if they are in other peoples hands and muddying up bloodlines in the future?

I wont hate on it, if you are approaching this in a responsible manner, and can Guarantee that the offspring you produce will never ever get mixed up into the bloodlines of either species. ( I will give the same to ANYONE producing hybrids)

If you have no plan... you need to start thinking of one.
    There is no way, down the road at least. He can microchip all the babies and sell them for what they are, but then all of those people have the same responsability. How can anyone who produces hybrids guarantee that somewhere down the road someone with F3s or F4s all bred back to pure bps or pure carpets will be as honest. I think that's the last thing the carpet hobby needs at this point. And we've seen this exact issue happen with every species that's been hybridized; corns, carpets, boas... Truely responsible and honestly represented hybrids don't happen in the long run, no matter how responsible the intentions are at the begining of a project.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    There is no way, down the road at least. He can microchip all the babies and sell them for what they are, but then all of those people have the same responsability. How can anyone who produces hybrids guarantee that somewhere down the road someone with F3s or F4s all bred back to pure bps or pure carpets will be as honest. I think that's the last thing the carpet hobby needs at this point. And we've seen this exact issue happen with every species that's been hybridized; corns, carpets, boas... Truely responsible and honestly represented hybrids don't happen in the long run, no matter how responsible the intentions are at the begining of a project.
    ( Youre replying to one of the hybrid haters... massively so)
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

Registered User Lance Portal Reptile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    Thats your answer to my serious questions?????!?!?!?

You go ahead and continue to mud up bloodlines my friend......go ahead
    i dont think i need to justify why i like different things....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lance Portal Reptile For This Useful Post:

fattielumpkin (02-19-2009)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast