Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

1 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

If BPs can't "see" red...

I have heard they can't see red and that is why you can put in a red viewing light and they have no idea. Question: What would housing one in a red tub do? I saw some for cheap at walmart, they had locking tops and everything. Just curious.
    Steffen, pronounced with f's, not v's
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

Re: If BPs can't "see" red...

i think theyd percive the red on the tub as black or grey depending on how much visible light there is ... but one concern that pops out at me is - would they be able to get any light at all in a solid colour tub ?... cuz they need more or less a 12 hour ambiant light schedual so they know when its daytime, so theyll sleep n whenn its night time.

Thanks

the tubs I saw were clear but had a red tint to them, not solid. So would it allow them to see prey better? Kinda like looking at something bright red on a black background.
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

They don't need any photo period what-soever.
    ~Steffe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

nixer (02-16-2009)

Thanks

Bps do not need light whats so ever, being nocternal.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beardedragon For This Useful Post:

nixer (02-16-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

BPs may not `need`sunlight, but they do benefit from a day night cycle... that is part of a feedback loop that helps all animals regulate.

Just because I am not up all night, does not mean that the sun setting does not trigger several physical, psychological, and physiological processes that contribute to me actually deciding it is time to crawl into a bed so that I do not end up face down on my computer keypad.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Whitehead For This Useful Post:

Slim (02-16-2009),SnM_Man (02-16-2009)

Thanks

umm .. i believe they do... there is alot of debates whether they need UVA/B light ... but if they dont have a photo period they wont know when to rest n when to hunt ... case in point i had mine in my closet for awhile n left the doors shut on it for a few days when i was outta town ... when i came back she was lookin for lunch instead of a midnight snack

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnM_Man View Post
    umm .. i believe they do... there is alot of debates whether they need UVA/B light ... but if they dont have a photo period they wont know when to rest n when to hunt ... case in point i had mine in my closet for awhile n left the doors shut on it for a few days when i was outta town ... when i came back she was lookin for lunch instead of a midnight snack
    Can I see those debates?

In the wild, Bps spend 90% of their life in rodent holes and termite mounds, in darkness. I guess my snakes cycle is when I turn my beardies lights on in the morning and off at night, not that it helps the snakes any.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Can I see those debates?

In the wild, Bps spend 90% of their life in rodent holes and termite mounds, in darkness. I guess my snakes cycle is when I turn my beardies lights on in the morning and off at night, not that it helps the snakes any.
    well 90% isnt 100% and studies show that pretty much any animal will benifit from some UVA/B rays because it causes the production of vitiman D3 which promotes calcium absorption but this subjectin its self is another topic... so start another thread ... i hate when my threads get hi-jack

Thanks

I realized that happened after post 4, but oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast