Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,451

1 members and 3,450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

a lil new please help. heating and humidity. Please!!!!!!!!!

I just got a baby ball python the other day. It looks like i got everything under control except the most important part heating and humidity. I am in the middle of purchasing a thermostat and humidistat. And was just curious how the thermostat works. Like i know the concept but do you plug your light into the thermostat or what? And if so what type of light and wattage should I use. I have a 20gallon glass tank with mesh top. And how would i keep the humidity and temp at a steady level since i have mesh top. Please help. Much appreciation!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU...

Thanks

Re: a lil new please help. heating and humidity. Please!!!!!!!!!

It depends on what brand you get, but with most thermostats you hook them up to the light and it senses the temperature in the cage. If it gets over a certain temp (you set it), it will shut off, then turn back on when the temps get too low (again, you set it). However, lights going on and off during the day can stress your snake out. I suggest buying a rheostat (dimmer)($10 @ Home Depot), which you can manually use to turn the light down a little bit. If you see the temps are getting a bit too high or low, you turn the knob on the rheostat up or down.

The light wattage all depends on the temp of your house, size of your enclosure, etc. But if you have a rheostat, the wattage doesn't matter so much because you can adjust it if it is too hot or too cold. Personally, I suggest using a heat pad. That way, you don't have to turn the light off at night and on during the day. Another option is a ceramic heat emitter, which doesn't give off any light, although it dries out the enclosure.

Spray the enclosure regularly for humidity. However, if you live in a desert area (like me), that may not be enough. If you simply cannot get the humidity above 50% (75% while shedding), you may need to move your snake to a plastic bin with holes drilled in the sides.

I know; its really complicated. It's mostly about trial and error.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, post here or message me!

Thanks

Woah, wait a second.

Identical duplicated thread. Slow down there...

Thanks

ok thank you so just to make sure i'm clear on the situation. Get a thermometer, hydrometer and a rheostat. and that should get me on the right path? And one last thing pease. The rheostat has inputs for the light(therefor being able to control lighting) right? Excuse my ignorance just wanna make sure i get everything right so i can make him comfortable. oh and what light should i use to plug into the dimmer i know wattage varies but any suggest. on light brand and fixture type.? thank you so much youve been alot of help so far. Much appreciated. Oh and blackcrystal22... thanks for your two since captain obvious, no dissrespect intended

Thanks

http://images.lowes.com/product/027557/027557390927.jpg
    Here is a picture of the type of rheostat I use for my bearded dragon. It is very simple; plug it in and plug the light into that. I must warn you; this particular rheostat does not work with flourescent bulbs or strips or heat pads.

As for the brand, there are so many. I used this ZooMed halogen bulb: http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...heat-lamp.html

Again, with fixtures, you can use just about anything. Most household light fixtures would probably work. I reccommend this one: http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...lamp-lamp.html because it is ceramic, therefore not affected by extremely hot bulbs, and it comes with a clamp that you can use.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Herps View Post
    http://images.lowes.com/product/027557/027557390927.jpg
    Here is a picture of the type of rheostat I use for my bearded dragon. It is very simple; plug it in and plug the light into that. I must warn you; this particular rheostat does not work with flourescent bulbs or strips or heat pads.

As for the brand, there are so many. I used this ZooMed halogen bulb: http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...heat-lamp.html

Again, with fixtures, you can use just about anything. Most household light fixtures would probably work. I reccommend this one: http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...lamp-lamp.html because it is ceramic, therefore not affected by extremely hot bulbs, and it comes with a clamp that you can use.
    Those dimmers work fine with heat pads...
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Really? That's weird. I just got 2, one for my BP's heat pad, and one for my soon-to-be BRB's heat pad, but it didn't work. I'll try again...

Thanks

Really? That's weird. I just got 2, one for my BP's heat pad, and one for my soon-to-be BRB's heat pad, but it didn't work. I'll try again...
    How did it not work?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I plugged it in, then plugged the heat pad into it, then turned it up so it was only dimmed the slightest bit. After a half hour or so, I checked the temps, and it was really low. I felt the heat pad and it was off. It went right back on again when unplugged the dimmer...

Thanks

I plugged it in, then plugged the heat pad into it, then turned it up so it was only dimmed the slightest bit. After a half hour or so, I checked the temps, and it was really low. I felt the heat pad and it was off. It went right back on again when unplugged the dimmer...
    What kind of UTH are you using? I have one plugged into a UTH right now and it works fine.
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast