Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

1 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

View Poll Results: In your opinion, are ball pythons a domesticated species?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 20.68%
  • No

307 74.70%
  • No Opinion

19 4.62%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Are ball pythons a domesticated species?

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    This is from wikipedia

According to evolutionary biologist Jared Diamond, animal species must meet six criteria in order to be considered for domestication:
    1. Flexible diet — Creatures that are willing to consume a wide variety of food sources and can live off less cumulative food from the food pyramid (such as corn or wheat) are less expensive to keep in captivity. Carnivores by their very nature only feed on meat, which requires the expenditure of many animals.
    2. Reasonably fast growth rate — Fast maturity rate compared to the human life span allows breeding intervention and makes the animal useful within an acceptable duration of caretaking. Large animals such as elephants require many years before they reach a useful size.
    3. Ability to be bred in captivity — Creatures that are reluctant to breed when kept in captivity do not produce useful offspring, and instead are limited to capture in their wild state. Creatures such as the panda, antelope and giant forest hogs are territorial when breeding and cannot be maintained in crowded enclosures in captivity.
    4. Pleasant disposition — Large creatures that are aggressive toward humans are dangerous to keep in captivity. The African buffalo has an unpredictable nature and is highly dangerous to humans. Although similar to domesticated pigs in many ways, American peccaries and Africa's warthogs and bushpigs are also dangerous in captivity.
    5. Temperament which makes it unlikely to panic — A creature with a nervous disposition is difficult to keep in captivity as they will attempt to flee whenever they are startled. The gazelle is very flighty and it has a powerful leap that allows it to escape an enclosed pen. Some animals, such as Domestic sheep, still have a strong tendency to panic when their flight zone is crossed. However, most sheep also show a flocking instinct, whereby they stay close together when pressed. Livestock with such an instinct may be herded by people and dogs.
    6. Modifiable social hierarchy — Social creatures that recognize a hierarchy of dominance can be raised to recognize a human as the pack leader.
    Based on 4, and 6 I have determined that women are not domesticated.....

j/k

Thanks

I don't see how you could consider really any reptiles domesticated. They aren't really people animals in general, they don't come when called or fetch sticks or cuddle with you when you are sad, it's just not a reptile thing to do, especially not a snake thing.

Look a ball python's only real thoughts when out of it's enclosure are to get somewhere secure, or find food. They aren't thinking of playing with you or sleeping in your lap (unless they feel really secure there). These animals are not domesticated, they are very much wild animals placed into captivity. What we consider to be domestication of an animal requires, as has been said, an animal with a social structure. A mouse or a rat could be seen as a domesticated animal, they will show humans affection and play with us and what have you, however a snake is not that kind of animal, it will not feel a need to be close to you or anything of the sort, it would rather be... well alone and secure.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Ball Pythons (and just about every other house snake out there) are not really domesticated, they can be docile (by nature) but they are not what I would call tame, just considered tolerant but they really do NOT like to be held or out of their hide box execpt for feedings and mating.

I read someone earlier say their parrots aren't considered domesticated either and I would have to disagree. I also have a few pairs of Timneh African Greys and they on the other hand when cative bred and hand fed/raised DO enjoy being handled and in fact get mad at you when you don't pay them enough attention and give them their 6 hours a day outside of the cage. They are great with kids and other pets and would rather hang around your shoulder all day than sit on any perch, can be hand fed and can trained to do things. Thats what I would consider domesticated. Execptions to this do apply as no 2 birds are the same but the same goes for cats and dogs and they are considered the MOST domesticated animals on the planet.
    Last edited by JKExotics; 02-10-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think a lot of people are mixing up the term 'domesticated' with the term 'pet'. Not every domesticated animal would be considered a pet. There are several varieties of ball python morph that could not be found in nature, designer snakes mixing a variety of different morphs. Lines or ball pythons that of necessity have been captive bred for several generations. Could they be considered domesticated?
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

No but are getting there.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

Ball pythons are no where close to being domesticated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JKExotics View Post
    I read someone earlier say their parrots aren't considered domesticated either and I would have to disagree. I also have a few pairs of Timneh African Greys and they on the other hand when cative bred and hand fed/raised DO enjoy being handled and in fact get mad at you when you don't pay them enough attention and give them their 6 hours a day outside of the cage. They are great with kids and other pets and would rather hang around your shoulder all day than sit on any perch, can be hand fed and can trained to do things. Thats what I would consider domesticated. Execptions to this do apply as no 2 birds are the same but the same goes for cats and dogs and they are considered the MOST domesticated animals on the planet.
    That would be me. I have 11 birds and have worked with many more, none of them domesticated. Companions yes, pets no. A lot of the birds in the market today are only one generation removed from their wild relatives. You can still find wild caught breeder pairs too, especially the AGs. That's not domesticated. There is a difference between being imprinted on humans at an early age and being truly domesticated.
    `*`

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    Yeah not even close. Although I think that the definition that Freakie_Frog quoted for us is more rigid than most people would accept I think that BP's are way off the mark. Cats for instance are not domestic as they do not recognize a social hierarchy and they do not have a flexible diet, but your average person would say that they are domesticated because they thrive along side humans and the modern pet food industry has made a dry food that fits their dietary needs readily available to those in industrialized nations.
    I have to disagree with you here. Cats know exactly who their owner is, they are just too close minded to pay attention some times. And they have a VERY Flexible diet. Seriously, cats will eat anything. At least mine will.

They do have a hierarchy as well. I mean, what is the definition of a pride?

Sorry, this is a bit off topic. I chose No for BPs being domesticated.
    1.0.0 Normal BP: Vincent Vega

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Dan For This Useful Post:

Ponthieux (02-14-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dan View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. Cats know exactly who their owner is, they are just too close minded to pay attention some times.
    I have to agree, cats live in packs too. You might be thinking of a tom cat prowling around by himself, but you will usually find cats in groups.

My cat knows I'm the boss, don't mean he listens all the time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

Ponthieux (02-14-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    That would be me. I have 11 birds and have worked with many more, none of them domesticated. Companions yes, pets no. A lot of the birds in the market today are only one generation removed from their wild relatives. You can still find wild caught breeder pairs too, especially the AGs. That's not domesticated. There is a difference between being imprinted on humans at an early age and being truly domesticated.
    I can trace my two adults at least 2 generations back via the captive bred breeder I got them from years ago, my two babies were born here. Although I don't necessarily disagree with what you said about AGs especially Greys from pet stores, there really are some horror stories out there. I do think a Grey can be domesticated if you start early enough and alot of the wild instincts simply disappear or in some cases when started early enough never develop. If it's paid attention to, if it has plenty of toys, and gets out enough I think they can be domesticated. Greys are also notorious pluckers, we're happy to say we havn't seen it yet. Xcross-fingersX

Nice to meet you by the way, glade to see a fellow bird brain on here. Do you have any pictures of your birds? I'd love to see them, I'll upload some baby Grey pics tonight when I get home.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast