Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

3 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question ball python heating and humidity trouble

i just bought a baby ball python about 6 days ago and im having trouble keeping my tank at the right temprature and humidity levels..
    my thermometer says its like 100 degrees and my humidity meter says it 60 %
    idk what to do ive tried restricting the flow of air and putting a damp towel over the top of of the mest lid.. idk what else to do ?

any tips or ideas would help alot! thanks!

Jack

Thanks

Re: ball python heating and humidity trouble

turn down the thermostat...
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

what do you mean by thermostat ?
    i have a heat bulb that the guy at the store recomended..

i had a bearded drangon at one point and it was the same bulb that i was
    using then.. but idk is there any other options i can do like wattages of bulbs or what ?

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Okay way to hot in there. Go to the store and buy an Acu-Rite for proper measurement of temps. Then go to a hardware store an buy a light dimmer with the correct wattage for now.
    Then go online and look at Herpstat, Helix or any other proportional thermostat.

A thermostat measures the temps and gives power to the heat sources to keep the temperature at what you set it. On/Off are cheap but have swings in temps. Proportional ones are spot on but more expensive

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Forgot to add:
    Whats your substrate?
    Do you have 2 Hide boxes?
    How are you measuring temps?
    Do you have a pic of your enclosure?

Thanks

eulenspiegel nailed it. You really need a thermostat to control the heat in the cage, the highest temperature the cage should reach is 95, 90-94 is preferred by most BPs.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

well im new at this
    so bear with me what do you mean by substrate?
    yeah i have two hide boxes but i made a substitue out ouf cardbord untill i get a little more money.. what are the prefered hide boxes ?
    also the acu-rite is it at petsmart or petco ? would i have to order it online ?
    and what is the correct wattage ? cause the bulb the guy sold me is like a 100 watts or something idk ?
    and to measure my temps is just a thermometer that you stick on the side of the tank...same with the humidity gage thing.. both purchased at petco.

i have a ten gallon aquarium that im just using till it gets bigger and when i have more money to afford the larger tank..
    i just wanna know what the best options are to make sure the tank is in good condtions for the while i have my snake in this enclosure to ensure the snakes good health...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcallisterjack View Post
    well im new at this
    so bear with me what do you mean by substrate?
    yeah i have two hide boxes but i made a substitue out ouf cardbord untill i get a little more money.. what are the prefered hide boxes ?
    also the acu-rite is it at petsmart or petco ? would i have to order it online ?
    and what is the correct wattage ? cause the bulb the guy sold me is like a 100 watts or something idk ?
    and to measure my temps is just a thermometer that you stick on the side of the tank...same with the humidity gage thing.. both purchased at petco.

i have a ten gallon aquarium that im just using till it gets bigger and when i have more money to afford the larger tank..
    i just wanna know what the best options are to make sure the tank is in good condtions for the while i have my snake in this enclosure to ensure the snakes good health...
    Substrate is the bedding of the tank; i.e., aspen, reptibark, cypress mulch, etc. What do you use?

Preferred hide boxes are dark, tight fitting areas. Cardboard boxes will actually do fine. I got sick of looking for decent hide boxes so I got mine from Reptile Basics

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Hide-Boxes-p-1-c-282.html

The acu-rite is not at pet stores... I got mine at wal-mart, but they're also at Home Depot, Target, Lowe's, etc. The unit itself measures ambient air temperatures and humidity, and there's a remote probe running from it with which you can measure the hot side of the tank. They run about 13-15 dollars.

I don't know anything about rheostats, I only use thermostats.

The stick on thermometers and hygrometers just do not work. You should get the acu-rite
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Thanks

i have aspen as the abstrate in the tank..
    ok i will get the acu-rite and the new hide boxes the prices are very reasonable.
    thanks for the tips!
    i have one more question..
    what should i do about my heating problem ?
    new bulbs or something else that works..
    ive heard about heating pads but im not sure about them ?

Registered User MUSTANGGTANDGSXR's Avatar
    Thanks

under tank heaters are the best way to go. get one of those with a thermostat, and put it on the hot side and a 50w bulb for ambient. foil treat your screen top. abd enjoy the hobby. by the way. this will not be your only bp. it gets addicting.

edit-

forgot to mention... cover 3 sides of the tank with foam core board or some kind of insulation. helps with temps
    Racing... because baseball, basketball, football and soccer only use one ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast