Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

2 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My New Emerald Tree Boa (DUW)

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    Hehe, I plan on getting both! But..sorry, ETBs own GTPs..
    , no she di int.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to juddb For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (02-07-2009)

Thanks

Wow! She's gorgeous! I love her tounge in the one pic.

I never knew how much ETBs looked like GTPs. I haven't researched many other snakes besides BPs so I don't really know anything about any of the boas. But when I started seeing pics of GTPs I fell in love... How do ETPs compare to GTPs for care requirments, tempermant and price? I'm not in love with the fact that you're not supposed to handle GTPs until they're a year old.

I don't mean to hijack the thread by any means, just a quick question, hopefully get an answer in 1 or 2 posts and we can go back to fawning over this beauty.

Thanks

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dizzy For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (02-07-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Wow! She's gorgeous! I love her tounge in the one pic.

I never knew how much ETBs looked like GTPs. I haven't researched many other snakes besides BPs so I don't really know anything about any of the boas. But when I started seeing pics of GTPs I fell in love... How do ETPs compare to GTPs for care requirments, tempermant and price? I'm not in love with the fact that you're not supposed to handle GTPs until they're a year old.

I don't mean to hijack the thread by any means, just a quick question, hopefully get an answer in 1 or 2 posts and we can go back to fawning over this beauty.

Thanks
    No worries, I enjoy answering questions about them!

I like to think of it as being Green Tree Pythons looking like Emerald Tree Boas.

Seriously though, they are both arboreal boids, but they have several differences, as well as similarities.

Starting at birth, and before hand. Green Tree Pythons are oviparous (egg layers), while Emerald Tree Boas are ovoviviparous (live birth). Emerald Tree Boas are also larger and less fragile at birth.

You should not handle Green Tree Pythons because possible damage to the spine. Vs. Emerald Tree Boas who can be gently handled. As long as you have a removable perch, and don't try to unwrap them, you can technically "handle" both.

Both go through an ontogenetic color change. Green Tree Pythons don't start their color change for a year, possibly more. Their change happens quite suddenly. Vs. Emerald Tree Boa who start changing colors at 3 months (sometimes earlier) and it can take some of them nearly a year to complete their change.

There are cosmetic differences as well. Green Tree Pythons have a short, stocky head, large bumps above their nostrils and a more pronounced spine, along with other things (such as color).

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83851 Green Tree Python

Temperament is debatable. Some say Emeralds are calmer, others say Green Tree Pythons are. I believe both species, depending on the individual animal, can be calmed enough to manage them.

Price, they are quite similar in. Locality of the animal plays a large part in price. A Northern Emerald will run you around $400, and most localities of Green Tree Python will run you similar ($300-$400).

As far as care, I'd say Green Tree Pythons can be a little more difficult, especially as neonates. Once they are adults, both become quite a bit easier to keep.

http://www.sprucenubblefarm.com/chon...ncaresheet.php Green Tree Python Care Sheet

http://www.emeraldtreeboa.org/daemons/etbcare.htm Emerald Tree Boa Care Sheet

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

dizzy (02-07-2009),juddb (02-09-2009),Mettle (04-30-2009)

Thanks

Very nice write up!

Only part I'd like to contend with is the color change. Aaron F. (Iherp creator) had a 16 gram (I believe) neonate start it's change. Early change is becoming more common. I've got a 34G neo with green on it's nose. The Biak local of green trees can take up to 2 years from birth to complete it's color change.

The labial pits and head shape of the emerald really give it away and make them the most different for someone not sure of what they are comparing. The scales on a chondro are much smaller than a emerald too (IMO)
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidG For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (02-09-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    I like to think of it as being Green Tree Pythons looking like Emerald Tree Boas.
    Oh SNAP! She's been talkin smack on the chondro scene. No, nice post Crissy! Like David said from time to time chondro's start the color change early, but its not common. Again, excellent post girl Its time for a emerald/chondro cage fight

10. The Following User Says Thank You to juddb For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (02-09-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    Very nice write up!

Only part I'd like to contend with is the color change. Aaron F. (Iherp creator) had a 16 gram (I believe) neonate start it's change. Early change is becoming more common. I've got a 34G neo with green on it's nose. The Biak local of green trees can take up to 2 years from birth to complete it's color change.

The labial pits and head shape of the emerald really give it away and make them the most different for someone not sure of what they are comparing. The scales on a chondro are much smaller than a emerald too (IMO)
    I had no idea they could start changing colors so soon. I guess it wasn't very common, so I never ran across where it was stated. Thanks so much for the information.

I agree about the Supralabial pits, they are a dead giveaway!

When I first started really looking at arboreal boids, I always got confused telling the difference between ETBs/GTPs. Then I saw a photo of an ETBs head, straight down. I never had a problem again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juddb View Post
    Oh SNAP! She's been talkin smack on the chondro scene. No, nice post Crissy! Like David said from time to time chondro's start the color change early, but its not common. Again, excellent post girl Its time for a emerald/chondro cage fight
    Thanks!

Hehe, I wouldn't want to have to fight you over which one owns. It would destroy your spirit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

juddb (02-10-2009)

Thanks

unbelievable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to juddb For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (02-10-2009)

Thanks

Nice lookin' ETB ya got there, Crissy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobtard For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (02-10-2009)

Thanks

This post is quite active still! I'm actually pretty glad. It's full of information and not much conflict (even though the chondro rules an ETB <had to do it).
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidG For This Useful Post:

juddb (02-11-2009)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast