Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

1 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: WARNING - BAN ON BOAS & PYTHONS!! - HR6311 Reintroduced as HR669

Signed and signed. I really hope these ppl get their heads out of their you know whats and stop trying to propose this. It is really a pointless proposition. I could understand maybe some sort of necessary certification of something along those lines as opposed to a ban. Hell they could make you take some test or class on snakes and charge you or something I really wouldnt mind. But hey who am I but some schmo who keep "dangerous animal" that in a heartbeat would eat your children. lol. I hope they get some sense about them.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sg1trogdor For This Useful Post:

sweety314 (02-08-2009)

Thanks

Well If I read that correctly its still just a ban on importing animals correct? Not on banning the owning of boas or pythons. Which I am sure im missing the bigger picture here but I don't and wouldn't knowingly buy a WC animal anyways so whats the deal. Still a stupid proposal but I don't see it affecting us too much right? Or do wild caught animals play more of a role than I am thinking. I am only talking about snakes here not lizards or amphibians which I know there's a lot of wild caught specimens out there. Just curious. I tend to read more into things than is really there sometimes. Please correct me if I am missing the bigger picture here as politely as possible

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sg1trogdor View Post
    Well If I read that correctly its still just a ban on importing animals correct? Not on banning the owning of boas or pythons. Which I am sure im missing the bigger picture here but I don't and wouldn't knowingly buy a WC animal anyways so whats the deal. Still a stupid proposal but I don't see it affecting us too much right? Or do wild caught animals play more of a role than I am thinking. I am only talking about snakes here not lizards or amphibians which I know there's a lot of wild caught specimens out there. Just curious. I tend to read more into things than is really there sometimes. Please correct me if I am missing the bigger picture here as politely as possible
    is not a proposal this is an actual bill introduced before the house of representatives. this is all animals period from importation!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    is not a proposal this is an actual bill introduced before the house of representatives. this is all animals period from importation!
    Booh.

Thanks

ill do my part

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Bump to top
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

I just wanted to share some thoughts on the subject so people know exactly what this bill is about.

1. No Importing/Exporting of any Non-Native Wildlife. I understand the number of Ball Pythons that come into the US can be ridiculous at times. But does that mean go ahead and stop Importing/Exporting of all Boas/Pythons? That would mean Epicrates Subflavus and Morelia Boeleni would both most likely not be kept in captive collections anymore.

2. Cannot Transportation between State lines. That basically means you cannot sell anything outside of your own state, which if you go down to #4, this would affect all of the same people and businesses!

3. Cannot violate any Term/Condition of a Permit System. That goes without saying. Although it doesn't matter if you can't own anything.

4. Cannot Possess, Sell, Purchase, or Barter any snake that is not allowed to be Imported/Exported. So basically this is the Goodbye to the hobby. Breeders, Rodent Suppliers, Rodent Food Suppliers, Bedding Companies, Reptile Supply Companies, Cage Companies, Exotic Pet Stores, etc. etc. etc. will all either be drastically affected, if not completely put out of business.

5. Cannot release any non-native wildlife into the wild. Goes without saying.

6. Cannot breed any non-native wildlife. Well, there goes everyone that has ever bred a Python/Boa or ever planned/dreamed on breeding a Python/Boa. There goes captive collections in only a matter of years, especially if no new animals are being brought in.

I can't understand how anyone could agree with this bill in anyway what-so-ever. This would of course have an impact on the economy and thousands upon thousands of businesses and lives. I know that a lot of you think that the numbers of Ball Pythons coming into the United States should be cut back and that's fine, but this bill is NOT the answer.

I can see where people are coming from on the large constrictors. But I can tell you once they start putting regulations on them, they are going to get more and more strict until the point that you just can't keep them anymore. Does anyone actually think they're just going to stop at large constrictors and not continue to put more regulations on owning exotic reptiles?

I strongly feel people really need to start fighting for this hobby as a whole and not just what they like and keep. This hobby will never make it if we can't ban together and fight for it entirely. We can't just fight for Ball Pythons guys/gals, there are many other species that aren't as commonly kept that need our help too!

There are many species, people, and businesses that would be affected by this, so PLEASE write your congressman. Be polite and sensible with your letters, there are many things that will be affected aside from just your rights to keep reptiles.

I have many thoughts on this and I just wanted to share a few. Thanks everyone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_Renick For This Useful Post:

sweety314 (02-08-2009)

Thanks

I've signed the petition, and sent out the message it gives you, on the email to forward to friends, to all my 1,010 contacts on youtube, through a big broadcast message.

Thanks

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=h111-669

That's a link to the full text of H.R. 669, if anyone hasn't already found it

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Keep in mind folks, that "Non-native wildlife" includes a lot more than the reptiles we love - near as I can see, that definition would include every single non-domesticated animal. By its strictest definition, that could be just about every single non-native species except cats, dogs and traditional livestock.

That's parakeets.

Ferrets.

Canaries.

Hamsters.

Parrots.

Guinea pigs.

Tropical fish, from neon tetras to snakeheads. Tilapia? Who's writing the definitions? P.E.T.A.? Hope you like tofu.

The upside is - we're not quite alone here - though the bird hobby has already lost most of its importing, they still rely on captive breeding and transportation across State lines. So does the tropical fish industry. (And compare the size of the fish section with the size of the reptile section at your local pet shop.) Of course, there'll be exceptions made for laboratory research - which H.S.U.S. and P.E.T.A. activists can then concentrate their efforts on - and release all those animals into the environment.

My (fairly cynical) $.02 - and I may owe you change.

~Bruce

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrucenBruce For This Useful Post:

sweety314 (02-08-2009)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast