Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

3 members and 3,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

does female have to be 2nd or 3rd winter to breed?

I was wondering if a female ball has to be on 2nd or 3rd year to start breeding? for example if i had a female born march 08 will she be ready for november 09 if apporiate weight? thank you very much
    2.0 normals
    0.1 mojave ball python (Jojo)
    1.0 albino ball python
    1.1 pastel
    0.1 het albino
    1.1 yellow bellies
    0.1 lemon pastel
    1.0 OG
    0.1 het OG
    0.1 Bearded dragon
    1.0 argentine black and white tegu

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: does female have to be 2nd or 3rd winter to breed?

You will have much better luck with the third winter, it is possible the second winter but most likely she wont go until the third.

Thanks

Age may be a factor. Body weight IS a factor. And this is a somewhat circular argument. Most ball python breeders focus on age as a secondary issue. Weight is the most commonly used benchmark and the most often quoted weight for females is 1,500 grams. Yes, I'm sure we will hear from many who have had animals breed at less than that but it's a number most of us like to see on the scale. In general (and I do mean in general) larger females are likely to lay more eggs. This is, however, not even close to a guarantee. I've had crazy things happen with clutch sizes in ball pythons big and small.

How long it takes a female to get to 1,500 grams is one of life's lessons in patience and frustration. Many ball python breeders, in an effort to get their animals to breeding weight for the second winter, find that right around 1,000 grams something magical happens: your ball python decides to stop eating. For how long? Welcome to ball python breeding. Could be a month. Could be six months. Your desire to get your ball python up to size is not really your decision. It's hers. She will eat when it suits her. If she continues to eat regularly enough you may find success in your second winter. If not, it will be the third (or, heaven forbid, the fourth).

And let us not forget the math. For professional breeders and serious hobbyists there is the ever-present awareness that the decline of prices in the ball python market has been nothing short of meteoric over the past years. Intentionally holding a 2nd year female that has sufficient body weight for another year is about as beneficial as burning money to keep yourself warm.
    Colin Weaver
    East Coast Reptile Breeders
    http://www.ballpythonbreeder.com/
    Email: colin@ballpythonbreeder.com
    Phone: 757-572-1987 (Call or Text)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColinWeaver For This Useful Post:

Ladydragon (01-31-2009),lguizar12 (01-29-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColinWeaver View Post
    Age may be a factor. Body weight IS a factor. And this is a somewhat circular argument. Most ball python breeders focus on age as a secondary issue. Weight is the most commonly used benchmark and the most often quoted weight for females is 1,500 grams. Yes, I'm sure we will hear from many who have had animals breed at less than that but it's a number most of us like to see on the scale. In general (and I do mean in general) larger females are likely to lay more eggs. This is, however, not even close to a guarantee. I've had crazy things happen with clutch sizes in ball pythons big and small.

How long it takes a female to get to 1,500 grams is one of life's lessons in patience and frustration. Many ball python breeders, in an effort to get their animals to breeding weight for the second winter, find that right around 1,000 grams something magical happens: your ball python decides to stop eating. For how long? Welcome to ball python breeding. Could be a month. Could be six months. Your desire to get your ball python up to size is not really your decision. It's hers. She will eat when it suits her. If she continues to eat regularly enough you may find success in your second winter. If not, it will be the third (or, heaven forbid, the fourth).

And let us not forget the math. For professional breeders and serious hobbyists there is the ever-present awareness that the decline of prices in the ball python market has been nothing short of meteoric over the past years. Intentionally holding a 2nd year female that has sufficient body weight for another year is about as beneficial as burning money to keep yourself warm.
    Colin your post is very true, my post was assuming that they had already reached their weight( I know I shouldnt assume). Some will go the second winter but the likelyhood of them taking is much higher the third winter as opposed to the second, thats all.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Ladydragon (01-31-2009),lguizar12 (01-29-2009)

Thanks

This albino girl is an August 07 hatch and right now is 1700g, she was only fed once a week and some nice follicles right now

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FIREball For This Useful Post:

lguizar12 (01-29-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lguizar12 View Post
    I was wondering if a female ball has to be on 2nd or 3rd year to start breeding? for example if i had a female born march 08 will she be ready for november 09 if apporiate weight? thank you very much
    I say no I have 3 06's that I will still hold off on breeding til next year. I understand that in the wild they wouldn't wait for 3 years etc. But they arent in the wild they are in my snake room and I feel more secure with breeding them when I know for sure it can be done safely (even though anything can happen).
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

This is a good question. I am also testing the waters with a 1 year old that hit 1600 grams at the 1 year mark and is 1700 3 months later(breeding season). She has follicles and has locked up at least 2 times. I am not sure what will happend but .. I hope I beat the odds. Am I wrong for trying not to burn $$$$ and breed at an early age?

Originally Posted by ColinWeaver ...How long it takes a female to get to 1,500 grams is one of life's lessons in patience and frustration. Many ball python breeders, in an effort to get their animals to breeding weight for the second winter, find that right around 1,000 grams something magical happens: your ball python decides to stop eating....
    This is interesting you mentioned this because I have 4 females sitting at 1000-1200 grams over 2 and 3 years old. Great eaters until the 1000 mark. I love BPs...
    Last edited by Hyper Joe; 01-31-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Joseph
    Hyper Reptilia
    "Where our reptiles come first"