Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,437

2 members and 3,435 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: "Blonde" Hognoses

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA View Post
    Oh.....and as far as I have seen so far.....no "blonde" morph is out there. Just so you know.

There is a "blonde" morph of the Mexican Hognose. Richard Evans had it years ago, produced some hets, and then apparently sold the only visual in 2004-2005 to a Japanese man that did not want to breed it.

I know where one pair of hets landed, but they never got any eggs from it. No idea where any others are. I was told that the trait was proven genetic, though.

Here is the old pic from Richard's site:

Thanks

There are also some High Yellow ones with faded pattern, that were caled "Blonde" (similar to the human blonds)

Stefan
    Greetings from Berlin
    Stefan & Raimo

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/FastDad/Logo-Punkt-1.jpgReptiles-Breeding-Enterprise.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
    There is a "blonde" morph of the Mexican Hognose. Richard Evans had it years ago, produced some hets, and then apparently sold the only visual in 2004-2005 to a Japanese man that did not want to breed it.

I know where one pair of hets landed, but they never got any eggs from it. No idea where any others are. I was told that the trait was proven genetic, though.

Here is the old pic from Richard's site:

Seems to look more like an anaconda hognose, not necessarily a 'blond.' Hognoses come in all colors and sizes but a green hognose is still a green phase hognose and a red hognose is still a red phase hognose and those aren't morphs just different colors they are naturally found with.
    Perhappes there is a blond phase? Still i wouldn't shell out extra cash for a blond or a green or a red or extreme red unless it was for an albino.
    That said, i want to find that japanese guy and tell him to breed it! It's a beautiful looking snake. I'll see you in Osaka!
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnbaron View Post
    Seems to look more like an anaconda hognose, not necessarily a 'blond.' Hognoses come in all colors and sizes but a green hognose is still a green phase hognose and a red hognose is still a red phase hognose and those aren't morphs just different colors they are naturally found with.
    Perhappes there is a blond phase? Still i wouldn't shell out extra cash for a blond or a green or a red or extreme red unless it was for an albino.
    That said, i want to find that japanese guy and tell him to breed it! It's a beautiful looking snake. I'll see you in Osaka!
    Well, Richard named the morph "Blonde," so that is necessarily what one looks like. lol

Definately not an Anaconda. Different coloration (although I can see the similarity in pattern), and this one is recessive as opposed to co-dom. This snake was also around way before Anacondas popped up. I know that pic alone has been floating around since atleast 2001.

I actually just picked up an extreme red Albino. My first Hog morph.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnbaron View Post
    The price was only $80 which really is not much more than retail for a normal western. Maybe $10-20 more. In the bottom pic I do see the color difference or should I say shade. It definitely is lighter, has more blotches instead of bands. I would say it is definitely a nice looking hognose. Would I call it a morph? Well, the guy says it is and he has bred it to prove it is co-dom. If he is not lying. Ask for pics of the parents or others he produced. If he shows proof of their co-dom linage then I would tinker with it.

I have a Ball Python that reduces the black patterns but I do not call it a morph or such. I just call it a normal that has a nice pattern that can be passed on.

However, I do not agree with the pic on the top. That looks like a normal western.
    Joseph
    Hyper Reptilia
    "Where our reptiles come first"

Thanks

Some hognose snakes are unusually light and some keepers refer to them as blonde phase. These fall within the normal variablity of western hognose snakes and are therefore 'normal western hogs' like you noticed. A really nice blonde phase normal western would be worth $80 to me ... but I wouldn't call it a 'morph' or anything like that.

Brunette normal

Blonde normal

Thanks

I labeled the dark normal girl a Brunette to illustrate the point ... LOL believe me when I say that I've never actually referred to a hognose snake as a Brunette

Thanks

LOL believe me when I say that I've never actually referred to a hognose snake as a Brunette
    Lol whatcha got against brunettes, huh?!?

Thanks for the info.

-Dennis

Thanks

LOL ... love brunettes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA View Post
    Those are not Blonde Hognose.......Blonde Hognose are Leioheterodon modestus They get waaaayyyyy bigger then NA hogs and can get the fangs into play with a bite not a chew.

I will try to dig up my pics of mine but for now go here:

http://www.hognose.com/pages/species/blonde.htm

So Richard, I know this is an old post, but I am new to this forum. You said that you would dig up pics of yours....do you actually have some? I have a pair that I was looking to make into a trio if possible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12