Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

0 members and 3,217 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Pricing a Hognose

That tiny little guy is venomous?
    Check out //// http://bcrexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

I know these people personaly and can guarantee if you buy something from them you will be happy.Sam does breed the hognose also and he has a sweet albino female i saw personaly.Tell him joe sent you . http://gbuenterprises.com/
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

...out of curiosity, what would an adult 1.1 breeding pair demand, price wise?

Thanks,
    BrandonsBalls
    bpherp.com - Breeder of ball python morphs & genetic mutations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mckittie View Post
    Yes.They are rear fanged though so unless you allow them to suck on your finger you will never get bit .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Yes.They are rear fanged though so unless you allow them to suck on your finger you will never get bit .
    Not only that, they are one of the most hesitant snakes to use their teeth for defense. Oooohhh... but they will hiss and stand up with neck spread pretending to be a cobra and everything, then even pretend to strike - but with the mouth closed. Mine did that for the first week we got him. Quite interesting to look at and can get really scary - funny now that we understand him better. He doesn't do it anymore. He's used to us picking him up now. My kids would pick him up even with he's fake striking and he ALWAYS settles down once he figures out we're not going to feed him to the bird. You find all these caresheets saying they would play dead when they get really stressed but mine never did that. There's even youtube videos about it. In any case, even if he would bite thinking you're food or something, it takes quite a long time for him to work his teeth into position to inject his venom. I always gas the rat before giving it to him (he gives up too soon if he can't catch the rat - he's not as good with it as my ball pythons!) and one time, it took him so long to work his fang in that the rat woke up, wiggled out of his mouth, and ran away! No kidding!

Anyway, somebody recommended FloridaHogs to me (bp.net member). She breeds them and sells them. She has tri-colored ones as well.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

In the shop I help out at they are 89.99 but that's a retail environment where it does have to be marked up a little and you really pay for someone to stand behind the animal there. The biggest thing if you go to a show and find one cheap is to make sure it's eating mice! There are western and eastern hognose. The westerns are what you want (easterns are hard to find, and almost impossible to get on anything but frogs and lizards.) The venom is very weak and more directed to the natural diet of amphibians. There are pics somewhere of a guy who LET a hog bite him and turned out to be allergic though and it caused some major health concerns. These guys are pretty cool and seem to be pretty solid on frozen. The shop bought some that had never eaten before and they were scared of live pinks. 10 out of 10 are eating consecutively now though. A rock solid starter snake IMO and a little different from the corn or BP.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mckittie View Post
    In a way. But I'd say getting bitten by a hogger is just as common as getting struck by lightning. They never actually try to bite you when they're scared-they'll only bite you because of a SFE (stupid feeding error). Also being injected with the venom won't require a trip to the ER anyway.

P.S. I said "never" and I mean it!
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonsBalls View Post
    ...out of curiosity, what would an adult 1.1 breeding pair demand, price wise?

Thanks,
    BrandonsBalls
    Well, i got my adult breeding pair of reduced pattern Mexicans for 450. Female was pushing double clutches but she ended up sick and died on me thanks to careless vet assistance.
    The male is worth it, beautiful pattern. Mexicans are a little harder to find, though which is why i jumped on it.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Man, I remember not being able to give them away. When I was breeding them 15 years ago they were going for around $20-30. I guess I was way ahead of the times. lol.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12