Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

2 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Sick angel fish - emergency!

I have an angel fish that's been doing very badly. She started just swimming funny, then started laying on the bottom, and now she doesn't want to (or can't) eat. Her breathing is so shallow that she doesn't seem to be breathing at all. I think it is swim bladder related. I have read that this can sometimes be fixed by feeding peas. But, I'd have to hand feed her the peas on the bottom of the tank and I think that would be too much stress. Today is day 3 without eating for her. She is 65 years old in fish years (6 and a half in people years). I don't know what to do. I haven't gotten any help on fish forums.

Someone please make me feel better and tell me what to do. She's so pitiful right now, I feel absolutely horrid.

Thanks

Re: Sick angel fish - emergency!

I just tried to feed her the peas. I know that if something happens to her and I hadn't tried it, I would beat myself up about it forever. She did come up to my hand when I put it in there (after a lot of struggling to get up) but when she saw that it wasn't flakes, she decided she didn't want it and went to lie down again. I tried once more, but this time she ran from my hand and I left it at that. (Both of my fish will eat out of my hand. I don't touch the fish, just pinch the flakes between the tips of my fingers just below the surface and they come get them. I do also feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.)

I checked everything water related. Everything is exactly SPOT ON (like it always is). I don't know what else I can do for her. I don't want to just sit here and watch her die. I covered the tank with a blanket so it would be dark for her...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    I just tried to feed her the peas. I know that if something happens to her and I hadn't tried it, I would beat myself up about it forever. She did come up to my hand when I put it in there (after a lot of struggling to get up) but when she saw that it wasn't flakes, she decided she didn't want it and went to lie down again. I tried once more, but this time she ran from my hand and I left it at that. (Both of my fish will eat out of my hand. I don't touch the fish, just pinch the flakes between the tips of my fingers just below the surface and they come get them. I do also feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.)

I checked everything water related. Everything is exactly SPOT ON (like it always is). I don't know what else I can do for her. I don't want to just sit here and watch her die. I covered the tank with a blanket so it would be dark for her...
    So sorry to hear she is not doing well .You have done your best for her though.Sometimes no matter how hard you try to save your pets things still happen .Please do not think anything bad about yourself ok,you tried
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Sorry to hear that, sorry to have to say this, but I think she is probably at the end here. Sounds like you gave her a great life at your place.

Thanks

Just a final update:

I was able to find a medication that sometimes cures swim bladder problems. It treats for some parasites, and does not harm any fish during treatment. So, I bought some, treated the tank, and 24 hours later the sick fish is still sick and the healthy fish is still healthy.

I am taking the healthy fish out today to give to a friend for his small community tank. I'm just going to have to let the angel go in peace now, and I figure she'd like to be by herself.

I don't know why I'm so sad over this fish... Well, now that I say that I guess I do know why. My mom passed away when I was young, and I remember her keeping angels. When she died, I got some to remind me of her and now the last one of the batch is dying. I suppose it's sentimentality that's getting to me.

Thanks for the input from before, guys.

Thanks

is it fresh or salt water? if it was a swim bladder problem then she would have troubles either sinking or floating. if whe was swiming around before and now just lays their then there may be something else wrong. when i encounter stuff like this i just do water changes often (like every other day) and hope for the best. save one fish this way.

I have been keeping saltwater aquaira for 12 years now (makes me feel old!) and have had fish die for no reason what so ever. it happens in the fish world. i recently lost a puffer fish that i had for 3 years. it sucked because puffers have a awsome personalitly and will come over and puppy dog for food.

keep your chin up. it happens. if i had all the money i spent on fish........

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    Just a final update:

I was able to find a medication that sometimes cures swim bladder problems. It treats for some parasites, and does not harm any fish during treatment. So, I bought some, treated the tank, and 24 hours later the sick fish is still sick and the healthy fish is still healthy.

I am taking the healthy fish out today to give to a friend for his small community tank. I'm just going to have to let the angel go in peace now, and I figure she'd like to be by herself.

I don't know why I'm so sad over this fish... Well, now that I say that I guess I do know why. My mom passed away when I was young, and I remember her keeping angels. When she died, I got some to remind me of her and now the last one of the batch is dying. I suppose it's sentimentality that's getting to me.

Thanks for the input from before, guys.
    For what its worth
    Joe Haggard