Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,540

0 members and 3,540 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: My beardies tail is turning black

Based on my knowledge of feeding beardies. I usually alternate greens and bugs each day. eg. greens one day then bugs the next etc.

But my experience with worms was never good. As babies, and young beardies, I always found barely digested worms (wax worms specifically) in their stool. But if the worms work for you I say go for it.
    Jamie (jrosen123)

" It's a herp thing... You wouldn't understand"

0.1.7 Leopard Geckos (Jerry, Jagger, Joey, Little, Tiny, Bert, Ernie, Pepay (male))
    0.0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko (Blind) (Ray (Charles))
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python (Kaluah Pantalones (Pants))
    0.3.0 Cats (Spike, Gracie, Tasha)
    0.1.0 Dog (Miah)

Thanks

Tail looks fine. Mine are 9-11 months' old and all have had different shades at different times. It does seem to have to do with stress, temps, etc.

I fed mine at that size a bowl of different types of greens (collard, turnip, bok choy, endive), and insects 3x a day, everyday. They need the protein at that size. I would switch to small Phoenix worms instead of wax worms. I give mine wax worms every once in a while now, but not when they were younger/smaller.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

Looks fine to me as well, they start turning black around that age, it just happens, most of mine are like that as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I wouldnt worry about over feeding. Many beardies will sleep/brumate in the wintertime. One of mine started sleeping on 10/13 and just woke up a week ago, so it time to feed and breed.

Beardies also dont shed in one piece so the tail may still have old skin on it causiny the graying of coloration. Like Wes said they will change colors from mood, temp and lighting changes. My baby beardies look amazing during the day and get real dull at night. I like to take pics after a daytime soak because their colors get real bright

Thanks

looks normal on the tail.
    As for the food i alternate each week. Greens on week, crickets the next. I don't use worms anymore because i always found them a pain in the arse to get out of the container.
    You can never overfeed them, at least not that i know of. Some people restrict the amount of intake they have but i don't do that with mine. If they're not hungry they won't eat. I have found crickets in their cage a week after just because they wants greens more. And if they don't want greens they eventually get hungry and eat them.
    I think of dragons like little kids. They do what they want unless you teach them otherwise. And it's only because they are stubborn
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

LOL i don't have any beardies but was reading the thread and just had to comment that every single post on feeding was different... putting you back at square one
    0.1 Spider Eva
    1.0 Mojave Wall-e
    1.0 Pastel Mutsu
    0.1 Normal Roxanne

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azriel01 View Post
    LOL i don't have any beardies but was reading the thread and just had to comment that every single post on feeding was different... putting you back at square one
    How bout this:

Feed your animal the appropriate amount and type of food every day or every other day.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

I offer greens(turnip, collard and mustard along with a little carrot) everyday. As far as live feeders, I offer them every morning for about 5-10 minutes. Usually they will stop before 10 minutes has been reached. Also, I would never leave crickets unattended in your beardy's enclosure as they get hungry too. They can and will chew on your beardy while it sleeps. I have seen pictures of what they can do. Not good. Here is an excellent source for nutrition info for bearded dragons.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html

Also here is another forum that has a plethora of info about BDs.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/

Best,
    Red

Thanks

both of those websites are very good sources! when i had my beardies i gave them greens every day, and every other day or 2 i would give them crickets . occasionally id give them a few worms here and there. but definately greens every day. with my hatchlings i had i used to put greens in a blender and give them to them. and feed em crickets small amounts daily.

1.0 BCI <Emery>
    0.1 Hypo Het Moonglow BCI <Willow>
    0.1 Ball Python <Shroomy>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12