Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

0 members and 3,316 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New Addition, pictures coming soon.

So, i am very excited. I was talking to someone about a snake they rescued which was listed as a hognose and went to take a look at it yesterday.
    Turns out it is a blond speckled hognose. It is disabled. This person rescued it from a neglectful home and it had so many bad sheds that it ended up blind from it.
    Well, i picked him up. Great size, great weight. Maybe 2 and 1/2 feet. close to 900 grams from guess-timation. Beautiful color and a great attitude. He loves to explore, especially the top of people's heads. Great little guy!
    I will try and get some pictures up soon, if he'll let me.
    This morning, i took him to the vet, just to be on the safe side. Nothing wrong with him, but any snake i get, regarless of knowlege of it's origination, gets a trip to the man/woman in white. Should be fine, but i always stick with a strict vet and quarantine for two months. By then he should be out of brumation, too. Yay!
    He kinnda looks like this
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Re: New Addition, pictures coming soon.

OOOOHHH!!! Awesome! I can't wait for the pics! Yea, I took my snakes to the vet first thing as well. Which was good, otherwise, I wouldn't have known the first snake we ever got has mites.
    It's been really wierd. It's like every reptile store has a slew of corns, kings, and bps of all kinds of colors. But, hognoses are hard to come by - and they're all normal! What's up with that? I would think hognoses would be more available since they lay more eggs in a year. Maybe I'm just not finding the good breeders.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Congrats on the new snake, I've been wanting a Hog myself. Also kudos to you for adopting a snake with issues. I have a ball python that's blind in one eye myself.
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Thanks

Congrats man! It sounds to me like a Malagasy . But I think you knew that already judging by the fact that you call it a "blond speckled" lol. Not a bad size on him/her either!

Can't wait to see some pics man. I'd love to get a Malagasy someday.
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    OOOOHHH!!! Awesome! I can't wait for the pics! Yea, I took my snakes to the vet first thing as well. Which was good, otherwise, I wouldn't have known the first snake we ever got has mites.
    It's been really wierd. It's like every reptile store has a slew of corns, kings, and bps of all kinds of colors. But, hognoses are hard to come by - and they're all normal! What's up with that? I would think hognoses would be more available since they lay more eggs in a year. Maybe I'm just not finding the good breeders.
    That's a good point, and now alot of ball python guys are getting into hognoses because they are so easy to breed. Hognoses are interesting and i think they are perfect as normals, even though i really like some of the morphs.
    Looks like he may have a slight RI, though from some bubbles left on my glass of the tank. Nothing major. The previous owner knew they brumate and turned most of the heat off, but they come from madagascar and it rarely gets below 80 there even in the winter.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holbeird View Post
    Congrats on the new snake, I've been wanting a Hog myself. Also kudos to you for adopting a snake with issues. I have a ball python that's blind in one eye myself.
    Awesome! Thank you. He is a great guy even with the bad eye, i am sure. Mine is great even with no sight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anendeloflorien View Post
    Congrats man! It sounds to me like a Malagasy . But I think you knew that already judging by the fact that you call it a "blond speckled" lol. Not a bad size on him/her either!

Can't wait to see some pics man. I'd love to get a Malagasy someday.
    You are right! but it's actually a Malagasy Speckled Hognose. Like This . He looks exactly like the first four and last two pictures.
    Yeah, he seems a good size, probably just over 2 feet which isn't bad for a male. I'd say he may be between 3 to 5 years. Vet said 5, i say three.
    I will get pictures up soon! He likes to move alot, of hide under a bark i put in there that i used to use to help my BP's shed.

Thanks

Nice colors! Totally different from my normal western hognose. Good luck with the RI. Hopefully, it's nothing too serious. Poor snakey. I'm looking for a female morph to go with my male normal sometime soon.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"