Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,410

4 members and 3,406 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

For those of you who have adopted abused dogs...

I've had my Pitbull Rosey for about 6 months now, she was rescued from a Pit fighting ring, and she still is very cautious/afraid of strangers. She barks and growls at any guests in the house, she will sniff them and accept a treat from them but the dog refuses to let anyone but her family pet her.

Children are the only strangers she is a free spirit and curious doggie with. She really loves the kiddies but is fearfull of adults.

I've tried a few different things to help her feel more secure but so far...it ain't happening.

Is there anything you folks can recommend for introducing and helping an insecure dog meet new people and come out of her shell a little bit?

I've made good progress with her in other areas of her life but her insecurity with strangers is a tough nut to crack.

Thanks

Re: For those of you who have adopted abused dogs...

regular training will build a dogs confidence. sit, stay, heel, all that good stuff. your doing a good job by having strangers offer treats. you have some sitting by the door i assume. once she learns her tricks, start with peple she is more comfortable around and slowly move to "stranger" people to get her to do tricks with. the treats will encourage her. it might be a long read for a dog who isn't a puppy, but all you can do is have patience for your dog who has obviously had a hard life.
    1.0 box turtle

http://www.myspace.com/fishlips88

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pillowtalk6188 For This Useful Post:

Earl (01-19-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

One thing a lot of new owners do is carry over the abuse in the treatment of the dog. I don't mean you abuse the dog, but you might be treating the dog as if she is focused on her abuse. Act like she is just another dog. Walk her, be a pack leader to her, and don't "expect" her to be fearful or shy.
    Walk right up to people and talk to them without coaxing at her, without cooing that "it's okay, it's okay". You can get friends to help out by walking her in your neighborhood and meeting up with them randomly and chatting breifly, then going on with not more than a "Hiya doggie, good girl" and walking on. No attention, no petting, no fussing. It will reinforce to her that YOU are in charge, and will take care of any trouble, that people are NOT focussing on her in any way, and then she should relax. Once she relaxes, you should see her become curious, maybe sniffing towards the stranger, and then it's time for a casually offered cookie. Still no big fuss. The attention and fuss is threatening to her.
    And please.. don't do the "It's okay... it's okaaaay.. it's OKAY!!!" bit. That's so irritating to me to see people doing that. It just winds the poor nervous dog up, because the voice tone says "I don't know what's going on and I'm afraid of what might happen" which reinforces two bad things to the dog. One, you are not in control, because you're obviously nervous and afraid. And two, you are afraid and nervous for a unknown reason. The dog will not figure out that you are afriad something will frighten her, she will only know YOU are not in control and are frightened, which will make HER frightened and nervous.
    I hope this helps, I've dealt with a lot of abused, shy, or unsocialized dogs. Most of the dogs that are said to have been abused, because they are so shy of strangers, are actually just unsocialized. Shelters are very fond of creating a abused dog story for any dog that doesn't love all people automatically. It 'sells' the dog to a new owner who will feel sorry for it.
    I hope that you can help her be more confidant, and again hope this helped.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Earl (01-19-2009)

Thanks

Be Patient. Rescue dogs take time and patience to heal. Some never fully leave their past behind them, and that is okay too. Know her boundaries and let her test them on her own. One of my big dags is still fearful around men (she was beaten quite badly as a young pup), but she has come around to 'accept' when men are around without reacting. I hope in time she grows out of it completely, but all you can really do is encourage good behaviors and be a good pack leader. Every dog is an individual, just love her and support her and you'll end up with a great dog, regardless.

~Kat

7. The Following User Says Thank You to janeothejungle For This Useful Post:

Earl (01-19-2009)

Thanks

Yeah Wolfy I know what you mean. I hate the whole sympathy thing to, it never helps with dogs who have these issues.

I do appreciate the comments everyone!

Thanks

I totally agree with Wolfy. When I worked with rescues (some were ex-fighters too), I treat them like any other dog. Most dogs would rather follow than lead, so show her she doesn't have to lead. Watch your body language. Give all commands in a firm, even tone. Another suggestion would to up the treats that strangers give to her. Like small bits of hot dog or chicken. She would get these "special" treats ONLY from strangers. Teach her that people aren't so bad. But I would also suggest having strangers tossing them to her. I can't be sure without seeing her, but I would think that approaching strangers is still overwhelming. And don't make a big fuss about the treat. Have them toss it and move on. Make her curious about these people tossing yummy things at her.

Sorry if this seems scattered and poorly written. Working with a new bird with my left hand and typing with my right.
    *Micah*
    My blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spygirl For This Useful Post:

Earl (01-19-2009)

Thanks

I adopted a 2 year old Doberman that I am pretty sure was mistreated by the wife because she belonged to the husband in a marriage that ended in divorce. She mistrusted and snapped at female visitors to my home for more than a year. She eventually learned to look forward to all visitors that we welcome into our home. It just takes time to overcome whatever they have been through.
    Do not resuscitate

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

Earl (01-19-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    One thing a lot of new owners do is carry over the abuse in the treatment of the dog. I don't mean you abuse the dog, but you might be treating the dog as if she is focused on her abuse. Act like she is just another dog. Walk her, be a pack leader to her, and don't "expect" her to be fearful or shy.
    Walk right up to people and talk to them without coaxing at her, without cooing that "it's okay, it's okay". You can get friends to help out by walking her in your neighborhood and meeting up with them randomly and chatting breifly, then going on with not more than a "Hiya doggie, good girl" and walking on. No attention, no petting, no fussing. It will reinforce to her that YOU are in charge, and will take care of any trouble, that people are NOT focussing on her in any way, and then she should relax. Once she relaxes, you should see her become curious, maybe sniffing towards the stranger, and then it's time for a casually offered cookie. Still no big fuss. The attention and fuss is threatening to her.
    And please.. don't do the "It's okay... it's okaaaay.. it's OKAY!!!" bit. That's so irritating to me to see people doing that. It just winds the poor nervous dog up, because the voice tone says "I don't know what's going on and I'm afraid of what might happen" which reinforces two bad things to the dog. One, you are not in control, because you're obviously nervous and afraid. And two, you are afraid and nervous for a unknown reason. The dog will not figure out that you are afriad something will frighten her, she will only know YOU are not in control and are frightened, which will make HER frightened and nervous.
    I hope this helps, I've dealt with a lot of abused, shy, or unsocialized dogs. Most of the dogs that are said to have been abused, because they are so shy of strangers, are actually just unsocialized. Shelters are very fond of creating a abused dog story for any dog that doesn't love all people automatically. It 'sells' the dog to a new owner who will feel sorry for it.
    I hope that you can help her be more confidant, and again hope this helped.
    Agreed. When you coddle the pup when it is being fearfull you only reinforce that behavior. It is almost like you are rewarding the pup for it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Typical_08 For This Useful Post:

Earl (01-19-2009)