Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,395

3 members and 3,392 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

My Ball Python's Home

I figured I'd show my set-up for my first ball python. She's a young girl; about 18" long. When I bought her on January 9th, she was in the beginning of shedding. She finished shedding Tuesday night (January 13th) and had an okay shed; it came off in about 6 pieces, but it all came off. Even her eye caps. She ate Wednesday. anyway, here's her home. I'd like any suggestions for improvement, and I realize that I probably bought too much stuff LOL. Everything was cleaned and dried prior to the snake's arrival.

1. Ten-gallon glass aquarium.
    2. Aspen bedding. The floor is about 3/4" thick.
    3. Undertank haeting pad. It's a 6" by 8" 8-watt unit, and is located directly under the hide.
    4. Exo Terra medium hide, placed over the undertank heating pad. This is the warm side.
    5. Exo Terra large water dish, placed in the opposite side (the cool side) of the hide. It's changed daily and filled with water that was boiled and allowed to cool to room temperature.
    6. Analog thermometer, centered on the back glass and about 3" from the floor. It's a cheap stick-on and will be replaced soon. It usually reads 70-78 degrees (I know this is a problem and I'm trying to fix it).
    7. Analog hygrometer, placed above the water dish and about 3" from the top. It's a cheap stick-on and will be replaced soon. It usually reads 40-50% (I know this is a problem and I'm trying to fix it).
    8. Zilla hinged wire-type lid. It's held in place with four (two on the front and two on the back) Zilla clamps. The back is also secured on the outside with Gorilla Tape since it's not usually opened.
    9. Exo Terra heat lamp, capable of a bulb up to 150 watts. It's placed on the screen top, directly above the hide.
    10. Exo Terra 50-watt Tight Beam bulb. This is my standard bulb.
    11. Exo Terra 75-watt Tight Beam bulb. I use this to get the temperature up when necessary.
    12. Exo Terra 50-watt red infrared bulb. For night time.
    13. Tropical flexible plastic background. It looks like a rainforest scene, and is taped to the outside of the tank on three sides to give the snake privacy and feel a little safer.
    14. Towel. I keep this damp and above the cool side; it seems to help keep the humidity up.
    15. 18-quart dish pan. This is for feeding only, and it's covered with a wire screen so the snake and mouse don't get out.
    16. Zilla Reptile Spray. Yeah, I realize it was a waste of money. But I thought it would help with the shedding, and it's my first snake. Oh well.

Any ideas for improvement? I realize that I should have a hide on the cool side, but I don't want to make the aquarium cramped (remember, it's only a 10-gallon) and stress the snake out.
    Ball Pythons 0.1.1

Thanks

Re: My Ball Python's Home

pictures are easier to see then words ... lets see some pics!!!... also she should have to hides on each side of the temp gradiant

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Well you already mention the main thing (replacing the analogue thermometer and humidity gauge ) that jumps out at me - we recomend the acurite weatherstation from wallmart at $12 that reads humidity and temp at the base unit and temp at the probe.

You can see a picture of it and the thermostats in this post.

Once you have a good way to measure the temps then you will have a better idea of what you need to do to get everything dialed in correctly to keep the snake warm enough without having any dangerous temps in the enclosure.

I would also think about getting a second hide for the cool end and making sure they are nice and snug for him.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JNieporte View Post
    I realize that I should have a hide on the cool side, but I don't want to make the aquarium cramped (remember, it's only a 10-gallon) and stress the snake out.
    A cramped tank won't stress a BP out - the less open space the more secure they feel. If the snake is stressed out you don't want it to choose hiding instead of thermoregulating. And I can't say for sure because I'm not certain how big the medium hides are - but I bet they are kind of big for her - they really like places they can be very snug in. For a lil girl that seems kind of big.

You might find out once you get an Accurite (or similar thermometer) that the lights are unneccesary to keep up temps - a UTH usually does a pretty good job all on its own keep temps in a 10 gallon - that would help with humidity - since to me keeping a damp towel on top seems like a breeding ground for bacteria. If you don't need the lights you could cover part of the top with aluminum foil or press and seal seran wrap (don't laugh, works really well!) and that will keep the humidity up too.

We love to see pictures!!
    -Stacey

1.0 Ball Python... Stanley (gotta start somewhere..)
    0.3 Mice .... Maui, Mango and Mai Tai, aka Satan's spawn
    1.0 Bunny Rabbit... William, aka Bill the Bunny, aka Bill-Bo

"Honos Habet Onus"