Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,287

1 members and 3,286 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Night Drop and photoperiod

I've been reading up on Western Hognose care and hognose.com's caresheet recommended a night time drop to ~60F and a light on/off cycle. Is this really necessary? Providing the photo periods would be difficult if kept in a tub (which I plan to do) and I've always thought the night time drop was more optional than necessary. Thoughts?

-Dennis

Thanks

Re: Night Drop and photoperiod

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    I've been reading up on Western Hognose care and hognose.com's caresheet recommended a night time drop to ~60F and a light on/off cycle. Is this really necessary? Providing the photo periods would be difficult if kept in a tub (which I plan to do) and I've always thought the night time drop was more optional than necessary. Thoughts?

-Dennis
    Hognose.com is a great resorce for those beginning but those who have experience with snakes usually know a bit more about photoperiods and nightime drops and what is necessary and not necessary for certain species which they are interested in.
    Anyway, there is no proven resorce that shows hognoses benefit from a photoperiod and usually you home lights and windows will suffice to add light and remove light. Keep in mind, too, the hognose during the day will stay buried or in the shade usually coming out during the wee mornings or early evenings. Many people have kept them in tubs with no light without any problems.
    Nighttime drop. I don't do it because i have my guys on flexwatt. I do it for other species but not for my hognoses. Again, my home cools down at night so the temps drop automatically, but not drastically. I'd say they go into the lower 70's and up to 80 during the day. Again, not to worry if it doesn't do that. The main concern for hognoses (from what i have found) is temperature that's too high during the day, or below 50 at night. That's just my experience, though. I try and keep everything as close to their natural enviroment as possible, but i also got all of my hognoses as neonates and the younger they are it seems the easier they adapt to new enclosures.
    just my $.02
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragnbaron For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (01-15-2009)