Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

1 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Re: New Guy from Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by echs332000 View Post
    Wow that is a lot of information, but i really need all the info i can get. I have One hiding place for her...Its a tree that you would find in a fish tank..Its just enough room for her to crawl in and curl up. I was looking at the heating pads at petsmart, so ill run out and pick one of those up. Would i still use the heating lamp for the hot side, or would the heating pad work for the whole tank?
    First of all, I'd like to welcome you, Shawn and Bertha. It's great to see new members coming in.

You don't need to over spend at Petsmart. I can help you save a lot of money. Not all of us have $100s of dollars to waste. -Smiles.- http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...ble-and-rocks/

You'll probably save about eight bucks a pop on each of these online as opposed to Petsmart. AND...when in doubt? just ask. As far as hides are concerned? I actually picked up some really great hides from Lowe's. They're these little bins that you can get in black or yellow(BRIGHT yellow), they've already got openings for the snakes to get in and out.

And one more thing...she's ADORABLE! I definitely love the busy patter she's sporting.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Congrats on your first pickup, she's a cutie...

Thanks

I don't know about the products available in that link, but if you go that route, make sure there is some sort of temperature control on the product. Something that will shut it off if it gets too hot. A lot of people will use a light dimmer from Home Depot or somewhere similar, but, to me, that is far too complicated to even mess with.

I only have two snakes that need heat, and I opted to purchase a product called Flex-watt from reptilebasics dot com. Flex-watt is a paper-thin heating element that was originally designed for heating tile in houses. It gets very, very hot if you just plug it in and walk away, so you have to purchase a thermostat to control the temperature. I have a Ranco brand device, which works really well. Altogether I think it cost me about $200. That's expensive, but I have no worries as to the temperatures of my snakes' cages.

There are certainly ways to get the job done for less money, but I happened to have the cash at the time, and it was worth the peace of mind, in my opinion, to spend a little more and then never have to worry about it again.

*** To answer your original question, no. Generally when you are using an under-the-tank heat source, it provides enough warmth that you can do away with the over head lamp. Which is great, because they just eat up all the humidity anyway.

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Thanks, mindi.

http://reptilebasics.com/Ultratherm-...p-1-c-273.html

http://reptilebasics.com/Thermostats-p-1-c-250.html

That'll definitely help. ^_^ Ironically, on another forum, I was asking someone if they had the thermostat for the UTH. I just woke up. Go Mel!
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12