Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,064

0 members and 3,064 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Buyers beware!

Thanks

Re: Buyers beware!

It looks to me like the seller will make this good. It also looks to me like you are just angry because you want to have instant gratification and don't want to wait. You purchased a baby normal snake and it died, which will sometimes unfortunately happen. If you had spent a large amount for an expensive morph I could understand your sense of urgency but I doubt if you spent very much for this snake. The seller is just using common sense by not wanting you to waste your money and his time on shipping a new one to you. You should not be urging people to avoid doing business with this guy based on what has occurred. You may cause people to not want to do business with you so they won't risk getting publicly slammed by you over nothing. That's how I see it anyway.
    Do not resuscitate

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (01-12-2009),joepythons (01-12-2009),ThyTempest (01-12-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I have two concerns.
    The OP stated that he had multiple thermometer sensors and the hot side was 90, and the cold side was 82. With TWO lamps and a UTH, on a TEN gallon tank. How do you even get two lamps on top of a 10 gallon tank? It sounds suspiciously to me like someone read the sticky and then repeated it. I'd challenge anyone to put two lamps on a 10G tank, with a UTH, and get no temp in the tank higher than 90F.

The second concern I have is that Broaddude came and implied that HE knew what killed the baby snake and it had been fixed and now the OP has a new snake, yet the OP stated that he didn't know, and doesn't know why Broaddude stated that. So.. why did Broaddude imply they knew? What was the point?

My best hopeful guess, after reading the OP's "explanation" was that he read the sticky, and tried to set up the tank acording to it. Once the tank was set up, he could put the baby in, then left for a short while(30 min? Longer perhaps?) And then the tank continued to heat up, because it had way more heat source than any 10G tank should ever have, and killed the baby.

IF that is the schenario, then it's a terrible mistake, but I don't understand the weird evasions, and don't understand why Broaddude would think it should all be considered just fine, without a apology from the OP for accusing the seller. The OP did not come asking for information, he came accusing a seller of scamming him, and selling him a sick snake. There is a HUGE differance.

What if he had bought the baby from one of the well-respected breeders here? Would it still be just fine?

In the herp business, all you really have is your good name. An attempt to destroy that, when they were in the wrong is MORE important to me than someone making a newbie mistake, tragic though the consequances ended up being. I don't want to browbeat the OP, but everyone should know not to throw accusations around and then think that it's all fine, just because they got a new snake to replace one they killed.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (01-12-2009),catawhat75 (01-12-2009),Epona142 (01-12-2009),joepythons (01-12-2009),Mike Cavanaugh (01-12-2009),mooingtricycle (01-12-2009),Pandora (01-12-2009),twh (01-13-2009)

Thanks

I have my baby Children's python in a 10 gallon tank. With a small UTH on one side and a light on the other ambient temp stays 82 during the day. I have to really watch it because if the sun in shining and the house warms up more than normal at all it's getting hot in that tank. I'm a beginner, but I know 2 lamps would make a 10 gallon way too hot, as I have to really watch mine with one. JMO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    I also have fish tank thermometers stuck to the back of the aquarium about 2 inches above the ground on both sides which measured same temps as probed thermos.
    Ok i forgot he said this part .Please correct me if i am wrong but snakes do not live in water .So those thermometers are useless when tring to read the temps for a snake .To the OP of this thread please stick around and read our care sheet on keeping a ball python.If you have any questions please ask ok .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    Too lazy to do the real quote, but the OP said....

Finally, I put a screen top on the aquarium and put two heat lamps on top, one on the cool side, one on the hot side. I let the hot side lamp heat up and with two digital thermometers with probes, watched the temps, hot side was at a constant 90, cool side read 82, and digital hygrometer was at constant 52%. I also have fish tank thermometers stuck to the back of the aquarium about 2 inches above the ground on both sides which measured same temps as probed thermos.
    The thing about asking someone in PARTICULAR a question is that one wishes THAT someone in particular to answer, not some trying to be helpful but not succeeding at all but good at using quotes member. Do you see what I'm getting at?

I'm looking for the OP to answer, NOT anyone else.

As far as the WOMAN who posts as a MAN that replaced the snake for him, she is a bit of an attention hound and REALLY wants people to think she knows A LOT about ball pythons. I'd pass on her snakes just because of the type of person she is.

Joe, a thermometer made for a fish tank will read the same dry as it does wet.

SO, back to my original query, meant ONLY for the OP, EXACTLY how did you reach your temps?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

joepythons (01-12-2009),mooingtricycle (01-12-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I have two concerns.
    The OP stated that he had multiple thermometer sensors and the hot side was 90, and the cold side was 82. With TWO lamps and a UTH, on a TEN gallon tank. How do you even get two lamps on top of a 10 gallon tank? It sounds suspiciously to me like someone read the sticky and then repeated it. I'd challenge anyone to put two lamps on a 10G tank, with a UTH, and get no temp in the tank higher than 90F.

The second concern I have is that Broaddude came and implied that HE knew what killed the baby snake and it had been fixed and now the OP has a new snake, yet the OP stated that he didn't know, and doesn't know why Broaddude stated that. So.. why did Broaddude imply they knew? What was the point?

My best hopeful guess, after reading the OP's "explanation" was that he read the sticky, and tried to set up the tank acording to it. Once the tank was set up, he could put the baby in, then left for a short while(30 min? Longer perhaps?) And then the tank continued to heat up, because it had way more heat source than any 10G tank should ever have, and killed the baby.

IF that is the schenario, then it's a terrible mistake, but I don't understand the weird evasions, and don't understand why Broaddude would think it should all be considered just fine, without a apology from the OP for accusing the seller. The OP did not come asking for information, he came accusing a seller of scamming him, and selling him a sick snake. There is a HUGE differance.

What if he had bought the baby from one of the well-respected breeders here? Would it still be just fine?

In the herp business, all you really have is your good name. An attempt to destroy that, when they were in the wrong is MORE important to me than someone making a newbie mistake, tragic though the consequances ended up being. I don't want to browbeat the OP, but everyone should know not to throw accusations around and then think that it's all fine, just because they got a new snake to replace one they killed.
    I could have not said it any better .The OP thinks were are all mean now i wonder how things would have been if he went to Faunaclassifieds and posted all this .I hope he/she sticks around and learns from his/her mistakes and fixes them for this other snake.Hey i have 13yrs experiance with numerouse snakes and i am still learning .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Ok i forgot he said this part .Please correct me if i am wrong but snakes do not live in water .So those thermometers are useless when tring to read the temps for a snake .To the OP of this thread please stick around and read our care sheet on keeping a ball python.If you have any questions please ask ok .
    He also said he had probed thermometers. If he had all the equipment he said he had, then he's got the most proper equipment as far as thermometers and lamps and UTH, etc of any newbie to ball pythons I've seen. Pity if it was all put on one 10G tank.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadude View Post
    I could post them, but why?

He's already been told why the animal died and what he did wrong. So the subject is closed..he has a new snake and is very happy with it. Maybe later, he'll come back.
    So why did you post this? If the OP says he doesn't know? Why would you think it is all okay and the subject is closed, when the seller is still accused of being a scammer? Why would you think you can close a subject just because the OP is now happy with a new snake that he may be killing with his set up RIGHT NOW?

I'm trying to understand your reasoning behind this. If you had sold him a snake and was accused of selling sick animals and having poor customer service after trying to offer a replacement, would you think it fair that someone else gives him another snake.. after apparently HE turned up responsible for killing the first one?

Responsible herpers should support each other, not tear them down and try to cover up for scamming buyers!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (01-12-2009),twh (01-13-2009)

Thanks

I have tried to find info on Adam Kuhn through the shows vendor listing.He does not have anything that i could find.I think its only fair that he knows about this thread.If any one can find a way to contact him before i do please inform him of this thread with a direct link.
    Joe Haggard

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joepythons For This Useful Post:

twh (01-13-2009)

Thanks

Never mind i found his direct email addy .I have sent him a link to this thread.
    Last edited by joepythons; 01-12-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    Joe Haggard

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast