Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,798

1 members and 2,797 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Buyers beware!

Thanks

Re: Buyers beware!

Does no one else see the issue with the bleach?

I have sanitized with bleach several times and the fewest amount of rinses I have had to do until I was satisfied was 4. Based on what he said, he only performed one, which would most likely leave bleach residue, which could kill a hatchling extremely quickly.

Now, just for some advice. If it isnt a quarantine, dont call it a quarantine. Also, you cannot diagnose mites in the matter of minutes, unless you luck out and happen to have one crawl off the snake...which is unlikely considering all of the commotion, probable bright lights, etc.

As for pictures....your account on this forum has a convenient photo server, which dr del so conveniently pointed out for you to use. If you remain active on this forum, use it.

On the note of accusations, and how heavy they fall in the reptile community in general, and even moreso on bp.net....I really dont think you understand how serious of an accusation this is, and how much respect and trust you will never have from a lot of people, myself included, because you jumped into the situation all hot and heavy.

And, in defense of the community here at bp.net, perhaps if you were not so quick to judge the breeder and let the bullets fly at him, we would not be so skeptical of your side of the story.

Also, to the OP, I apologize for my previous post about the unanswered questions. I did not realize you had responded to the thread until after it was quoted later.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    Does no one else see the issue with the bleach?

I have sanitized with bleach several times and the fewest amount of rinses I have had to do until I was satisfied was 4. Based on what he said, he only performed one, which would most likely leave bleach residue, which could kill a hatchling extremely quickly.
    Lots of people use bleach to clean their tanks, including me. He said 5% bleach, which is pretty much as diluted as it can get. I'm pretty sure he's not going to count how many times he rinsed it out, but the point is he did. I'm assuming that he's smart enough to do it more than once.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    I strongly suggest to not be so snappy towards the OP (everyone, not just you). It really isn't helping the situation, and doesn't make yourself look very good as well..
    I am not being snappy .Its called frustrated when questions being asked several times going unanswered .So back to the reason we all come here
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by numba1stuna8162 View Post
    ... I came here looking for a since of community in trying to figure out what happened to my snake for it to go so suddenly and deduce some possible answers, not for ppl to take sides on this and that, point fingers, get angry, assume and jump to conclusions...

But isnt that what you did?
    It didnt seem to me you came here looking for answes as to how the snake could have died.
    Yes you explained the steps you took leading up to the snakes death, and then you jumpped all over the breeder, and pointed your finger at him. Blaming him. I believe you said "He obviously sold me a sick snake", Well my guess is that you're no certified VET. Sure there are signs that lead most of us to assume a snake is ill, and which is why people take them to VETs, to comfirm that is the case. I understand there is no chance in having your VET look over a snake until after you buy it. But then you should not jump the gun and say someone sold you a sick snake.

So the way I would have handled it would be to ask questions first. Find out if it could have been even the slightest chance my fault. Then take it from there.

I'm not taking sides, I'm just saying it should have been handled differently.

Tony.

0.1.0 Ball Python - Cali
    0.2.0 Crested Gecko - Sparkz, Bizkuit
    http://reptilegeeks.com/BooRadleyAMG
    http://myspace.com/plasticz82

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BooRadleyAMG For This Useful Post:

joepythons (01-12-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Lots of people use bleach to clean their tanks, including me. He said 5% bleach, which is pretty much as diluted as it can get. I'm pretty sure he's not going to count how many times he rinsed it out, but the point is he did. I'm assuming that he's smart enough to do it more than once.
    Guess you have more faith in humanity than me...more power to ya.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Hey new snake owning genious, what, exactly, was/is the temp of the hot spot in your tank?

I would like to know what it was when you got your first snake and how you determined it and what it is now and how you determined that.

Thanks in advance.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

mooingtricycle (01-12-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Hey new snake owning genious, what, exactly, was/is the temp of the hot spot in your tank?

I would like to know what it was when you got your first snake and how you determined it and what it is now and how you determined that.

Thanks in advance.
    Too lazy to do the real quote, but the OP said....

Finally, I put a screen top on the aquarium and put two heat lamps on top, one on the cool side, one on the hot side. I let the hot side lamp heat up and with two digital thermometers with probes, watched the temps, hot side was at a constant 90, cool side read 82, and digital hygrometer was at constant 52%. I also have fish tank thermometers stuck to the back of the aquarium about 2 inches above the ground on both sides which measured same temps as probed thermos.
    -Austin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tosha_Mc View Post

Just by your description I would venture to guess two heat lamps and an UTH on a 10 gallon tank was probably too hot. Did you check the temperature inside the hide?

Not to keep beating a dead horse - but this would really be my concern too. I have one UTH on a thermostat and that keeps my 20 gallon tank at the right temps - I can't imagine how hot a uth without a thermomstat and two lamps would be.

The only reason I bring this up is because if that was the problem - then he's got another snake in the same kind of temps.
    -Stacey

1.0 Ball Python... Stanley (gotta start somewhere..)
    0.3 Mice .... Maui, Mango and Mai Tai, aka Satan's spawn
    1.0 Bunny Rabbit... William, aka Bill the Bunny, aka Bill-Bo

"Honos Habet Onus"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SecurityStacey View Post
    The only reason I bring this up is because if that was the problem - then he's got another snake in the same kind of temps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SecurityStacey View Post
    Not to keep beating a dead horse - but this would really be my concern too. I have one UTH on a thermostat and that keeps my 20 gallon tank at the right temps - I can't imagine how hot a uth without a thermomstat and two lamps would be.

I was wondering about the UTH not being under the hot spot hide, but the temps in the hot spot hide being at 90+... so where is the UTH and what are the temps there?

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast