Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,485

2 members and 3,483 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity

Thanks

Question Humidity

Hi I am new to this site but not new to bp. I have a question, I am having the hardest time with getting the humidity regulated. I have two tanks, 1 tank has viper who is a bp about 3 1/2ft and w/ a 55 gal tank then I have another tank 29 gal with 2 bp a baby and 18 inches long bp and a 24 in red tail boa, I am running the correct the heat just the humidity i can not get right. help if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I have tried everything, spraying the cage, soaking a towel on top and cover with a dry one, running two water bowels... all of my babies are about to shed except one.. HELP

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Humidity

First I'll tell you that keeping the humidity up in a tank as large as a 55 gal is tough. The next thing I have to ask is are you using lights to heat or just using lights at all. You see lights dry out the air and in turn lower the humidity.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

In the 29 gal I am running 150 watt on top of tank if not then I can't get the heat regulated. I am running two 100 in the 55 gal. again can't get heat regulated if not...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luv my babies View Post
    In the 29 gal I am running 150 watt on top of tank if not then I can't get the heat regulated. I am running two 100 in the 55 gal. again can't get heat regulated if not...
    I will tell you that I used tanks for years and with a proper UTH (under tank heater) attached to a thermostat and having the top of the tank covered you can achieve the right temps and humidity.

The 55 Gal may be a little harder so a light to supplement the UTH may be needed.

Lights are humidity kryptonite.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

Thanks

Wink Re: Humidity

and I am running two under heater one on each tank, but the temp was way to cold. see my deliema... lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ok then where in the room are they. Being right under and AC vent or by a door or window can also cause heat problems.

When you measure the temps are you looking at the air temp or are you measuring the ground temps?

How are you measuring the temps and humidity?

Thanks

One tank is in my dining room against an exterior wall, no heat vent above it. The other 29 gal is in my living room,n there is a heat vent a bit above it it is sorta close to my sliding class door I will say about 3 ft away but the blinds stay closed and the door doesn't get open that much. I have the both thermomater and humomitor inside the tank, I have them in the middle on the cooler side of the tank.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

have the both thermomater and humomitor inside the tank, I have them in the middle on the cooler side of the tank.
    Ok are you using a digital thermometer and Hygrometer or are you using the dial stick one ones?

Thanks

they do stick on but not digital, they are dial read. I wouldn't want your job, with idiots like us.... LOL

Thanks
    Blog Entries

they do stick on but not digital, they are dial read. I wouldn't want your job, with idiots like us.... LOL
    Ok there's your problem. Those dial ones are CRAP! Go to wal-Mart and get yourself two Acurite digital thermo/hygrometers
    They look like this http://willowtreehome.com/Home-Decor/00891A1.html
    Put one side on the hot side and the probe on the cool side on the ground. That will give you a more accurate humidity and two sided reading.

I love my job!!! I really enjoy helping people fully enjoy their Herp pets. Thats why we're here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

luv my babies (01-07-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast