Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,419

1 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Buying a new camera

Of course hundreds of threads going on elsewhere about Nikon vs Canon...

From what I've heard, Canon has superior cameras overall, but Nikon has better lenses overall.

Personally, I'd go with a D40 over a Rebel, just because I just dislike rebels overall.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Of course hundreds of threads going on elsewhere about Nikon vs Canon...

From what I've heard, Canon has superior cameras overall, but Nikon has better lenses overall.

Personally, I'd go with a D40 over a Rebel, just because I just dislike rebels overall.
    Maybe Canons standard lenses, but their L series lenses, and Macro/Prime lenses do take the cake for best lens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Remember, he doesn't want to pay more than $600.
    Yeah, I know...

It's just that the D90 has all of the awesome features of the 300 and all of the great features of the popular Canon XTi and XSi cameras and still comes with the amazing Nikkor lens'.

I think that the OP's best bet is to read about the choices available and then visit a camera store and hold the cameras that make the top three picks, and then choose

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

I think I can do better cheaper....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...XS_a_k_a_.html

Camera, lens, shipping included from a highly praised shop 485 bucks. Brand new.

Its a DSLR, aimed toward people who are new and getting into photography.

DSLRs have bigger sensors then the point and shoots (im not a big fan of mega pixel counts, this one has 10mp vs my 8.2 on my 20&30D cameras). So that means less noise. Also you can upgrade lenses later on. If the onboard flash is not going to cut it (they normaly work in a pinch) you can get an external flash. This means you can get a different lens later on, such as a 85mm f/1.8 which don't cost a whole heck of a lot of money, around 400 bucks I think, that is razor sharp, fast which means you can use it in lower light and so on.

Im not sure about the newer point and shoot cameras but some have lag where you click the shutter button and wait for the shot to be recordered. DSLRS? There are no lag, meaning if the shutter is lagging to get the image, it may already be too late.

DSLRs give you the best bang for the buck, if you are spending 500 bucks on a point and shoot you may out grow, why not spend that on something you can grow into. The DSLR camera will do complete automated shooting, where all you have to do is place the camera in the green box and the camera decides the best ISO, shutter, and f/stop to use and later on, when you learn more about the camera and photography, you can look at other modes like TV (time value) AV (aperture priority) and manual. There are all kinds of stuff you can do with a DSLR

hope this helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ajeff For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (01-05-2009)

Thanks

YOu have $600 bucks to spend.

Go to ebay, and find a good Canon 20D.

I recently picked up this camera w/ a 17-85 IS lens and battery grip for $525.

The 20D will produce better images than any of the camera's that have been mentioned so far.

It's 8+ megapixels, has a great CMOS sensor that can handle fairly high ISOs, and it can shoot 5 frames per second.

These other cameras people are mentioning are toys. This camera is a machine.

Thanks

BHPhotovideo is an awesome place and I've done business with them for many many years!!! They are really great!! Their store is such a hoot to see~ if you're ever in New York....

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

In addition to B&H, you should check Adorama.com, also in New York. They have very good customer service.

JohnNJ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234