Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

0 members and 3,218 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Need some Chameleon cage/setup advice!

I'm gonna be the bad guy and say that if you can't spend 50 bucks one time for an animals enclosure...you probably cannot afford to keep said animal.

Going over how much I spent on our purchases this year...

1.1 Cornsnakes
    1.1 BCI
    0.1 BP

3 Acurites, 3 Dimmer switches, 2 Power Strips, 40qt tub, 2 12qt tubs, 2 15qt tubs, water dishes, 1 xlarge UTH, 2 medium uth, 2 small UTH, bale of aspen, aluminum tape, spray bottles, feeding tongs....I think that is everything....comes out to be about $45/pet. Keep in mind, these are all snakes which are supposedly one of the cheapest reptiles to get into for startup costs, as well as feeders in the long run.

Just food for thought, if you cannot afford it now, maybe it is time to get a change/swear jar going and save up to make it a New Years Resolution or something.

Edit: I realize shipping sucks, but in this industry, quality almost always has to be shipped. Whatever the cost of shipping is, is the part that becomes the extra mile for the keeper to strive for to ensure a happy, healthy pet and overall ease of keeping the beloved pets.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Oh, I understand that perfectly. And, don't misunderstand the fact that I can't afford the pre-made cage... it's not because I can't afford the animal and its care overall (I've done a ton of pricing and monthly expense figuring just to determine that we can get the cham), but because other things that I MUST buy and can't make, like the UVB bulb and fixture, take up quite a bit of the budget. Since I can and have built my own enclosures, it's just a good way to save money so it's available for the other things.
    Plus, my BF just will NOT spend that much on something that I could make for (essentially) free. That's a big part of it that I forgot to mention before.

I know full well how much animals cost, and I have a savings account just for critter expenses (possible vet, replacement eq, etc.). I do the best I can for my animals...always. And if it turns out that the cage I build - be it wood frame or wire panel frame - isn't safe, secure, and comfy for a young cham then I will get a pre-made one and do without something to make up for the extra cost.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    I'm gonna be the bad guy and say that if you can't spend 50 bucks one time for an animals enclosure...you probably cannot afford to keep said animal. .
    This is a very bold statement that is often used too much by people when someone is discussing cutting costs in reference to husbandry.
    I agree that in some situations there are no other options but to spend "X" amount of money for the right equipment/accessory. In my opinion in reference to chameleon husbandry, you do not need a commercially built cage for it to be safe and functional. There are plenty of other things that you can spend $ on with chameleons that (again in my opinion) are more important.

As long as this cage is safe for the chameleon, I think it is great to have another person enter the world of chameleons as a keeper.

Jim

Thanks

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of what you are getting into

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a funny one (well t least I think so . . .)

When no means NO!

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Those are cool. I like the 'confrontation' pic. You have some really pretty chams there.

And you have it exactly. I'm not a scrooge who won't give her animals what they need because it's "too expensive", nor am I the type who has a ton of animals but can't even afford one. No.
    I am the type of herp keeper who has lived her whole life finding ways to reduce costs while still providing above average care for her animals. I'm a college student, so that means low budget. Wherever a reduction can be made safely, it is made. But I always get at least the minimum required EQ for any critter in my care.

I am a few steps from finishing a bookshelf-style cage system of 4 (currently 5 with the top split into two cages) cages for my corn snakes. I made this, using supplies I already had plus a Lowes gift card I had been given, to save space and money and because I love building. I built my own snake rack, rather than buy one pre-made, because I could save money and have fun doing it...and because I could customize the tub sizes. Once the cage thing is finished I'm building another rack like the first.

Oh, and as for the built cham cage - If I use the cube panels I intend to put the screen on the outside. This would let the cham grasp and climb the bars of the frame without allowing him to get stuck trying to push out through the holes. Does that sound doable?
    Another word on the LLL cage - sure it's the best thing to get and it's already made just right... but I'll probably be getting a 3-5 month old cham who'll need a medium cage to start. If I spent that 'extra' money on that cage now, I would just need to do it again for more when he needed a bigger adult cage. If I did get him a good quality cage, and I'd like to, I would save up while he grew and get it as his adult cage.

Thanks

Again I think you will be fine. Just keep the chams health and safety 1st and be open to having to change something and there should not be a problem.

In my opinion I would lean toward 5 months of age for the chameleon. Just a better chance of getting a healthy cham. (Unless you get one from a reputable breeder like the ones mentioned in another post.)

BTW: I hear you about school! I just graduated last May and at the age of 48 . . . it was not easy.

Jim

Thanks

Well, I got some aluminum screen today from Lowes and intend to construct a 'trial' cage from the cube panels to see how it would work. If that doesn't work and the cage isn't sturdy or secure enough, then I'll go with wood.

Also, I'm not totally sure but I believe we've found a good cham! I emailed Chad at TikiTiki and he says they have a nice 6 month old male for a fair price. I've asked for pictures, but looks aren't as important to us as health, strength, and a gentle personality (for a veiled).

So, I'll put together the trial cage and see what Chad sends me.

Thanks

I didnt realize you had so many supplies on hand. If that is the case, more power to you for building your own, I did the same thing when I was building my rat rack. I kind of regret it now, because I used old timber that my family had lying around, some of it was warped and now my rack isnt straight...which just bugs me.

If you have most of the stuff already without any other purpose for it, go ahead, but before it sounded like you only had a little bit on hand and ready to go, and that mostly you were building it from stuff you planned to go out and buy, in which case the savings would probably not have outweighed the benefits of buying the cages from LLL.

Good luck with the cage and chams, I think I speak for the forums when I say we expect some pics once he is settled in.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Oh there will certainly be pics. I love taking pictures of my animals.

All in all, I had about 90% of the materials - for either frame type cage - here already. And none are older than 4 months. (Don't feel bad, I've done the 'use the old wood lying around' thing before. Heck, because I didn't use my level enough the snake rack I have is rather uneven. )
    Not to mention that I already have quite a bit of the EQ a cham needs and only really need to buy that mister from SoCaliSon (whom I thank profusely ) and the live plants to have everything.

I'm getting excited now... just can't wait to hear back from Chad and get the trial cage put together to see if it'll work.

Thanks

Chad is a great guy, you will not be disappointed! Plus, 6 months is a good age to start off with . . .

*** Warning:nothing like opening up a Fed Ex package and popping off the top of a container to find a chameleon staring back at you!

(Now if you start singing that Boy George song we will be in trouble! )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast