Ok, so it's pretty firmly decided that we want to get a male veiled chameleon. I've been reading and reading, over the years as well as all of yesterday, and believe we can handle caring for one.

Now, I need some advice on caging. I've looked at the different pre-made options for screen cages and found all but the small Reptarium ($30 at LLL) to be way too expensive. The solution, to me, is to build one myself. If I did that, what materials would be best to use? What type of screen/mesh, since I know hardware cloth is too rough and I would think that the plastic mesh stuff is too weak...would window screen do? Is it alright to use wood for the frame?

For a baby/juvi, I was thinking of starting off with an 18x18x30. Is this too big for a little guy or just about right? Or, should I just get that 38g Reptarium for the small cage and build a larger one for him as an adult?

Also, for plants, we plan on using a pothos and hibiscus. Where are good places to get these that don't use pesticides?

As you can see, when it comes to a new animal I'm as bad as a newbie. Any advice you guys can give is MOST welcome!