Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

1 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Why No Edit Option?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    The primary reason to encourage editing and not multiple posts is to reduce the clutter.The person that pays for this forum must have unlimited funds because most forum owners would never encourage the number of repeat posts and photo downloads this site has. And to save every post even though the same topics are repeated ad nauseum, something I have contributed to, is unusual.

I work on (mod, super mod and admin) and frequent 6 forums daily and 25 others regularly and the posting rules are very strict. The rules all work to the same end - reduce bandwidth use and storage because both cost money.

Whatever works.
    And that my friend is why BP.net is in a league of it's own. We don't operate the way other forums do.

We're here to help if that means that the same question gets asked twice a day every day for every month. We can answer the user directly. We're here to help promote this hobby and to educate keepers on a personal basis.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-04-2009)

Thanks

I still do not get why you need to edit after ten minutes. The first time you post, look at it, edit, look at it again, edit some more, and then post it right the right time. I mean, it sounds like you trying to say you want to edit to add more information instead of making a new post, and I find that a little odd because I for one would not want to have to worry about re reading posts just to see if they have changed. I have nothing against this forum, but this is a great example of why you should not be allowed to edit a post after ten minutes. She was " Rescueing" A snake that NEEDED to be put down.

http://constrictors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22330
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

I have to agree that the option now is much nicer than other forums I've been on.

I Admined on this kiddy forum a while back, a lot of our problems were involved with not being able to 'catch' someone flaming or trolling, because they would go back and edit. We would be lost without proof and it was a lot more difficult to just ban someone if we weren't sure what they actually said or did wrong.

Arguments were also a problem, and people would often argue heated points, then change their points when they felt like it.

They had bandwidth problems too. People had bad ways of assessing problems, and there was a lot more junk piled up there then here.. and they weren't allowed double posting.

However, there was a useless 'spam' section.

Thanks

I can understand what the admins are saying and if it pays for itself, there's no reason to limit.

Freakie_frog: I agree that this forum is unique.

As further info for the non-mods: In the forums where I "work", mods are online 24/7 and we read every single post. No one gets to flame or post anything that's not in line with the rules. A mod will contact the poster and ask them to edit or delete their post and will educate them behind the scenes as to why their post was inappropriate. If resistance is met, the mods take action.

Incorrect info is always corrected with a reply so everyone learns but bad behavior is not tolerated in public. That's what mods do - they moderate. And every mod I know is a volunteer.

Some forums make the mistake of limiting the number of mods which adds to the individual workload. On one particularly busy site, we assign mods to specific forums and sub-forums. Other mods (super mods) just roam around. The admins handle running the site and do not moderate.

I'm not bucking the system because if it works, great. I was just asking about a specific feature that I have not seen limited before.

Thanks for the replies.
    JohnNJ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    The site pays for itself with advertising.
    I'm guessing, based on the new membership subscription program, that the four admins took another look at the books and found out the site wasn't paying for itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm guessing, based on the new membership subscription program, that the four admins took another look at the books and found out the site wasn't paying for itself.
    And we could certainly continue to do so, if we wanted to splash more ads across the site. We decided to try something new, and this comes after many, many requests from members wanting to help support the site in some way. It's a chance to let the community participate in supporting itself.

Thank you for your feedback on the editing feature. Your remarks have been noted. We have no plans to change the policy at this time.
    -- Judy

Thanks

The person that pays for this forum must have unlimited funds because most forum owners would never encourage the number of repeat posts and photo downloads this site has.

I can understand what the admins are saying and if it pays for itself, there's no reason to limit.

Some forums make the mistake of limiting the number of mods which adds to the individual workload.
    Amazing how this one little thread has had such an impact on this forum. We now have paid subscriptions (to limit ads, of course) and today have added two new mods to help with the workload.

I'm glad I could inspire such positive change.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Amazing how this one little thread has had such an impact on this forum. We now have paid subscriptions (to limit ads, of course) and today have added two new mods to help with the workload.

I'm glad I could inspire such positive change.
    Yeaup....all because one guy couldn't edit a post from the past. That's why we have hundreds and hundreds of members logging in every single day and thousands registered. THANKS!!
    -- Judy

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don't act so surprised. We always concider the suggestions of our members. It helps make this site so user friendly.

Its just one more way that Bp.net proves we are your home for all things Herp related.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    We always consider the suggestions of our members.
    Thanks for recognizing my contribution. It is much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast