Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

4 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about Breeding Bumblebee?

I had a opportunities of obtain a super pastel and a spider, from my understanding these 2 will produce a Bumblebee offspring if everything goes well.

So who should be the male or female on the 2 (super pastel and spider). I wanted to make sure I make a right selection. Thanks alot!

Bumblebee = Super Pastel M + Spider F
    or Super Pastel F + Spider M

Thanks

Re: Question about Breeding Bumblebee?

bumblebee= PastelxSpider
    Killerbee= SuperpastelxSpider
    Ball pythons: 1.2 pastel, 1.0 Black Pastel 1.0 mojave(green) 0.1 spider, 1.0 het pied, 1.0 het clown, 1.1 het albino, 0.1 pos het albino, 1.0 shatter, 0.2 normals, 0.1 reduced pattern, 0.3 dinkers
    Corn snakes: 1.0 blood, 0.1 het blood, 0.1 snow, 0.0.1 reverse okeetee
    Geckos: 2.1.2 crested gecko, 0.0.1 leopard gecko
    Boas: 1.0.1 sand boas
    Other: 1.1 mini australian shepherd, 2.0 cats

Thanks

You would get the same offspring with either one (all the hatchlings would be Pastel, and each egg would have a 50% chance of being Bee).

I think your selection should be based on your future breeding plans. Here are some things to consider:

If you buy a Super Pastel male (and a Spider female), you can breed the Super Pastel male to any Normal female and produce 100% Pastels. That is a powerful male to have! If you have other female morphs, you can breed them all to the Super Pastel and produce some cool snakes right off the bat.

If you buy a female Super Pastel (and a Spider male), you can produce Killerbees (Super Pastel Spider) much quicker. If you produce a male Bee from the above pairing, he might be breedable by the next breeding season (it's also possible that he is not large enough or ready, but depending on when he hatches and what kind of feeder he is, it is possible...). If a male Bee is breedable, you could then breed him back to your female Super Pastel and have a chance at producing Killerbees. If you did the other pairing, it would take a minimum of 2-3 years before you would be able to think of producing Killer Bees because you'd have to raise up the female.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, so it all depends on what you want to eventually produce.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LGL For This Useful Post:

EdShal (12-31-2008),trcmustang (12-31-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nagini88 View Post
    bumblebee= PastelxSpider
    A Bumblebee is a Pastel Spider, so with a Pastel x Spider pairing, each egg would have a 25% chance of receiving both the Pastel and Spider genes that is required to be a Bee.

A Super Pastel (a homozygous Pastel) will always pass off the Pastel gene, so all of the hatchlings will be at least a Pastel. In a Super Pastel x Spider pairing, each egg will have a 50% chance of receiving the Spider gene as well. Since they will automatically receive the Pastel gene, those that receive the Spider gene as well will be Bumblebees. Those that receive a Normal gene from the Spider parent will be Pastel.

In order to produce a Killerbee, you would need to have a Pastel gene coming from both parents and a Spider gene coming from at least one parent. The minimum morphs needed to produce a Killerbee would be a Bumblebee x Pastel pairing.

I'm sorry if you were meaning that a Killerbee was a Super Pastel Spider, but when you put "Killerbee= SuperpastelxSpider", to me that means that you would produce a Killerbee when you cross (x) a Super Pastel and a Spider, which is incorrect. Killerbee = Super Pastel Spider or Killerbee = Bumblebee x Pastel would be the correct way of writing that.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LGL For This Useful Post:

EdShal (12-31-2008),Firebelly (12-31-2008),trcmustang (12-31-2008)

Thanks

just git er done

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGL View Post
    You would get the same offspring with either one (all the hatchlings would be Pastel, and each egg would have a 50% chance of being Bee).

I think your selection should be based on your future breeding plans. Here are some things to consider:

If you buy a Super Pastel male (and a Spider female), you can breed the Super Pastel male to any Normal female and produce 100% Pastels. That is a powerful male to have! If you have other female morphs, you can breed them all to the Super Pastel and produce some cool snakes right off the bat.

If you buy a female Super Pastel (and a Spider male), you can produce Killerbees (Super Pastel Spider) much quicker. If you produce a male Bee from the above pairing, he might be breedable by the next breeding season (it's also possible that he is not large enough or ready, but depending on when he hatches and what kind of feeder he is, it is possible...). If a male Bee is breedable, you could then breed him back to your female Super Pastel and have a chance at producing Killerbees. If you did the other pairing, it would take a minimum of 2-3 years before you would be able to think of producing Killer Bees because you'd have to raise up the female.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, so it all depends on what you want to eventually produce.

Thanks for the detail information, I really appreciated. I will go for the second recommendation is to buy a female Super Pastel (and a Spider male). I am going to check them out now, hope they still have those available. thanks again....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebelly View Post
    Thanks for the detail information, I really appreciated. I will go for the second recommendation is to buy a female Super Pastel (and a Spider male). I am going to check them out now, hope they still have those available. thanks again....
    This is probably the least expensive route as well. Our bee is still too small for breeding this year, but with 5 pairings I think we will have plenty to work with and next year we will have the bee up to weight to breed. Just a pain on deciding what to breed with such an cool snake. Lets see Cinny, Pastel, mojave... You almost can't go wrong breeding anything to a bee!

Thanks

check out my gallery i have a nice female bee i produced last year or late 06'. she's a beauty. its a start. i was selling her but people couldn't come up with the loot. if you are interested, i could make you a sweet deal and throw in a stan rupple pastel male. make some awesome killers right off the bat. she is a great feeder. they both are. all my snakes are really. thank god. might have some spiders and pastels this spring too.and hopefully another beeeee!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wendy For This Useful Post:

Firebelly (01-01-2009)

Thanks

WRONG!
    Super pastel x spider will never equal a killer bee. It will only get you pastels and bumble bees.

A killer bee *is* a super pastel spider, which is not accomplished from breeding a super pastel to a spider. You need to breed a bumble bee to a pastel, a bumble bee to a bumble bee or a bumble bee to a super pastel.
    Keep in mind super pastels do not make more super pastels if bred to a normal, so you can't get a super pastel spider (killer bee) from breeding a super pastel x spider.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wishful thinking

Pastel X Bumblebee = Killerbee
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast