Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

2 members and 3,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

I think these eyes are cloudy, but I have very little to compare to

Hello,

This is my darling Chelsea that I inherited from my sister about three months ago. Her eyes were somewhat cloudy before shedding, but she has recently shed and her eyes have remained like this. She doesn't get too angry with me fondling her eyes, and I've tried to see if there is any leftover skin on them, and I don't think there is. This cloudy appearance seems to be the primary layer of skin on her body.

I'm not sure that's showing the high-res picture when you click it; if not try this link for a higher resolution picture showing her eyes. http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...loudy_eyes.jpg

She seems to be somewhat blind; she misses her food about half the time when I feed her, and I hold the rat about an inch from her nose. When she crawls around, she seems to go more by feel than sight.

I love Chelsea and feel guilty for crippling her by not taking care of her properly. Please take a peek at these eyes and tell me if they appear quite overly cloudy to you, and let me know if you have any suggestions for improving the situation.

She lives in a 35 gallon tank in an office building in Utah. Room humidity is usually around 25%. I spray her tank several times a day and get the humidity up to 50-70% during the day, but it falls back to 25% during the night. Could that be contributing to the problem?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: I think these eyes are cloudy, but I have very little to compare to

These appear to be retained eye caps. Damp cotton ball and easy rubbing should get them off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    These appear to be retained eye caps. Damp cotton ball and easy rubbing should get them off.
    I tried this this morning. She's getting prettry frustrated with me and I haven't been able to get them off. I really can't tell if that is extra skin or not.

Will they eventually come off on their own?

Thanks

put her in a damp warm towel and let her crawl around inside it. sometimes this works. And yes they will come off when she sheds again but the humidity needs to be upwards of 60-70% when she is about to shed again. It would probably be a good diea of getting her a humid hide so she can go in there, it holds the humidty well. Also you need to cover the top of the tank with some plexiglass, damp towel or tin foil to hold the humidty in the tank at a steady 50-60% at all times. Hope this helps

0.3 Normal, 1.1 100% Het Albino, 1.1 Yellowbelly, 1.1 Mojave
    1.0 50% Het Axanthic, 1.1 Hypo, 1.0 66% Het Clown, 0.1 Black Pastel
    0.1 Spider, 1.1 VPI Pastel, 1.0 Reduced Pattern, 1.0 Pinstripe

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Should come off with the next shed, just make sure next time to bump up the humidity some. She will be fine, but, if she retains again after the next shed you will have to do something. There is a scotch tape trick that I have never personally used. You may just have to hold her head forcefully and get them off, she will forgive you