Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,681

2 members and 3,679 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Frequent peeing, and frequent activity

I've had no major issues with Prometheus since I took him in. He's an excellent eater, a bit shy, had a perfect shed with me just 2 weeks ago, and poops and pees regularly. Until about a week ago when I started noticing that he pees every single day. Pandora was my first ball python and I got used to her peeing every couple of days, about as frequently as she pooed. They both developed the habit of defecating in their hides and coming out and roaming when doing so; and I normally clean up and they go about their happy little snake lives and pop right back into their hide. So for the first few days, he would go back into his hide after I cleaned up and stay there and everything would be okay. I fed him just this past Saturday - a small adult mouse just the width of his girth; like I do every 5-7 days. That night, he started roaming his tank again so I checked if he peed (which he did), I clean it up and expect him to hide again. He doesn't. He continued to roam for the rest of the night; well into the early morning, half going into his hide only to come back out immediately, knocking over his water, and plants. He's been doing this every single night since.

His temps and humidity are fine and stable; I know this. I know I'm not under or over feeding him. I experienced a few nights where Pandora showed this kind of behavior as well but stopped once I fed her and it hasn't happened since; but he's doing this right after I fed him. He isn't showing any signs of aggression; it's almost like he's just curious. When I take him out to be handled, he's relatively still and calm. I know BPs pee a lot - but how often is too often? What's wrong with him?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Frequent peeing, and frequent activity

Anybody?

BPnet Veteran Kesslers Kreatures's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont know about the peeing issue, but i know they do tend to roam at night. all mine roam there tubs at night... i usually hear the rustle of the newspaper while im watching tv. He may just be exploring some... I have times where i dont hear a peep out of their tubs for a few days and then some nights where they just like to move about.
    Lewie

0.1 Girlfriend
    5.13 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boas

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdogg3 View Post
    I dont know about the peeing issue, but i know they do tend to roam at night. all mine roam there tubs at night... i usually hear the rustle of the newspaper while im watching tv. He may just be exploring some... I have times where i dont hear a peep out of their tubs for a few days and then some nights where they just like to move about.
    Well, I know night time roaming is okay. Pandora does it for a few minutes from time to time. But he's never done this before, and he goes from 5pm - 7am... am I wrong to assume that's not normal?

BPnet Veteran Kesslers Kreatures's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Well, I know night time roaming is okay. Pandora does it for a few minutes from time to time. But he's never done this before, and he goes from 5pm - 7am... am I wrong to assume that's not normal?
    Unless im wrong, which i can be, it should be okay. My oldest female roams like crazy sometimes... she can go all night in and out of hides and what not. To me its normal behavior.

Your not wrong for being a worried snake parent
    Lewie

0.1 Girlfriend
    5.13 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

They are nocturnal and most active at night so it is quite common for them to roam as soon as the sun goes down. Some snakes pee more than others. I have a spider that pees way more than most of my other snakes. i wouldnt worry about it. They are all different in ther own way.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

As far as the roaming, sounds like he's just getting comfortable enough to start roaming now...sounds normal. The peeing is weird though, can't help you there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

The more they move... the more they urinate and defecate.

I keep 40, and the busiest days to change paper is the day after changing paper. That bit of activity and handling is enough for usually at least a third or more of them to let go.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Whitehead For This Useful Post:

Pandora (12-30-2008)