Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

3 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Feeding help

Thanks

Feeding help

Hey guys and girls ,

This is the situation im in .

I got this female ball off this bloke , she is 1500g and eats frozen .. he said she had not been eating after being cooled down for breeding , i guess she didnt breed or something but anyway he said she should be fine and eating again in on time after being settled . I got her for a nice price and i have kept balls before so i thought why not . Plus in my eyes shes a nice looking girl .

She is kept in a tub , temps are about 92 hot end and 80 cold . I did try covering the tub over with a towl and leaving her alone and offering food . 1st week i tryed feeding her a small rat just to get her going .. NOTHING .. 2nd week .. same thing ... NOTHING .. so i left her 2 weeks and tryed again today .. NOTHING .. i then opened up the rats head a bit as i herd that can trigger a feeding responce and again..NOTHING .

At times she seems like she does kinda of want it but then just seems to stop and ignore it . I was thinking of leaving the frozen rat in there over night and seeing if she might take it then .

To be honest im not sure what else to do , i did think of maybe trying a live rat and seeing if that gets her going but in all honestly i cant be feeding live all the time , im from the uk and when i last checked feeding live rats was against the law .

Any suggestion's?..

Thanks

BB

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Feeding help

Patience.

If everything is right on spot (husbandry etc) and she is healthy she will eat sooner or later.

Not eating can be husbandry related, due to over feeding, or seasonal.

You can switch to live however you need to realize that if you do your BP might never switch back to F/T so if you don’t want to or can’t I would not recommend it.

Switching to other prey because I know it will be suggested is not a solution either.

As long as your BP has a good body weight, healthy and is not losing too much weight, your BP will be fine.

I had a female that came out of a 9 months fast and she hardly lost any weight.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Patience.

If everything is right on spot (husbandry etc) and she is healthy she will eat sooner or later.

Not eating can be husbandry related, due to over feeding, or seasonal.

You can switch to live however you need to realize that if you do your BP might never switch back to F/T so if you don’t want to or can’t I would not recommend it.

Switching to other prey because I know it will be suggested is not a solution either.

As long as your BP has a good body weight, healthy and is not losing too much weight, your BP will be fine.

I had a female that came out of a 9 months fast and she hardly lost any weight.
    Hey Deborah ,

Thats good to know , im going to be patient with her and give her some more time . I guess i was just worring a bit to much as i have never had a problem feeder before . The other female i have eats like a champ

I will just give her some time and hope she eat's soon .

Thanks

Bb

Thanks

I got a nice female in a trade that hadn't eaten in (according to previous owner) about a year. We both suspect she was WC. A vet visit showed nothing physically wrong. I tried all sorts of prey items. Live, PK, FT, rats, mice, soft furs.. Nothing. Today I got a gerbil for her, and that did the trick. I'll give her a week or so to digest that, they try starting her on some rat pups rubbed with gerbil bedding.
    `*`

Thanks

Could need more time to "settle". Some have noticed any move, change or any environment shift (such as a new home, new smells etc) may require your BP to de-stress. I have had both BPs and Boas and the BP we recently adopted was only assisted with a shed (due to poor husbandry by previous owner). He remained in a safe state (no handling, feeding, or enclosure changes) for two weeks. After which he eats like a champ and is quite the pig...

Good luck!