Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

0 members and 3,221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

substrate question

I think my BP ate a small piece of aspen subtrate today while eating, will this cause problems for my snake ?
    1.0.0 pastel ball python: morpheus
    1.2.0 leopard geckos: wolverine: phoenix: mystique
    0.0.1 yellow-nape amazon parrot: meeko

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: substrate question

Nope, not at all. Unless it was a huge chunk or something that looks like it would puncture major organs if you catch my drift...

If you think it's going to pose a problem, you can always opt to feed it in a separate tank like I do...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Nope, not at all. Unless it was a huge chunk or something that looks like it would puncture major organs if you catch my drift...

If you think it's going to pose a problem, you can always opt to feed it in a separate tank like I do...
    well i dont think it was that big of a chunk of aspen to puncture him so hope he will take it like a champ. I was thinkin about gettin a tub just for feeding, do you put your snake back home right after eating or you wait a while ?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keepzrollin View Post
    well i dont think it was that big of a chunk of aspen to puncture him so hope he will take it like a champ. I was thinkin about gettin a tub just for feeding, do you put your snake back home right after eating or you wait a while ?
    Basically, I make sure to do my best to distinguish between 'handling' and feeding time.
    I don't handle them several hours before feeding. My girl probably wouldn't notice the difference but I like keeping a schedule that way. I get them out, put them straight in a tub lined with paper towel (her bites get bloody sometimes and if I feed live, the rodents have an act for pooping) and feed them in there. Once they're done completely "swallowing" and start moving around a bit, I carefully pick them up with both hands supporting their weight and put them back in their tanks. Never had any issues with regurgitation or signs of the snakes being uncomfortable. When I feed them in the tanks, the rodents get COVERED in aspen; even if it might not necessarily harm them, I feed them outside their tanks. I don't think anybody would like dirt or aspen chips on their food

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Basically, I make sure to do my best to distinguish between 'handling' and feeding time.
    I don't handle them several hours before feeding. My girl probably wouldn't notice the difference but I like keeping a schedule that way. I get them out, put them straight in a tub lined with paper towel (her bites get bloody sometimes and if I feed live, the rodents have an act for pooping) and feed them in there. Once they're done completely "swallowing" and start moving around a bit, I carefully pick them up with both hands supporting their weight and put them back in their tanks. Never had any issues with regurgitation or signs of the snakes being uncomfortable. When I feed them in the tanks, the rodents get COVERED in aspen; even if it might not necessarily harm them, I feed them outside their tanks. I don't think anybody would like dirt or aspen chips on their food
    Agree with you 100%. I do the exact same at feeding time and have had no issues at all. In fact my breeder recommended I feed this way. I wait until the mouse has settled into the biggest part of the stomach before moving her back into the tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

I just recently changed to a flat substrate because I had to pick a piece of spaghram moss outta' the side of my boy's mouth. The flat substrate is easier all the way around.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

You can also place paper towels over the aspen shavings if you don't have a separate feeding enclosure.

I originally fed in tank but switched to a feeding enclosure when my BP refused two meals because of aspen shavings getting in her mouth.

But then just recently I switched back to feeding in tank w/ paper towels after reading many in tank vs. out tank feeding debates.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    You can also place paper towels over the aspen shavings if you don't have a separate feeding enclosure.

I originally fed in tank but switched to a feeding enclosure when my BP refused two meals because of aspen shavings getting in her mouth.

But then just recently I switched back to feeding in tank w/ paper towels after reading many in tank vs. out tank feeding debates.
    maybe ill try that out next time

his eyes actually got opaque tonight i feed him during the day and they werent opaque seems sheedin time is coming .. this is actually my first time going through sheddin process this is my first snake. ive read you shouldnt feed them during this process, so i might have to try out that feeding method after the shedding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keepzrollin View Post
    ive read you shouldnt feed them during this process, so i might have to try out that feeding method after the shedding.
    Nope, you can go ahead and offer food. Some will take it and some won't. But if yours doesn't then no biggy, just feed once the shed is over!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    Nope, you can go ahead and offer food. Some will take it and some won't. But if yours doesn't then no biggy, just feed once the shed is over!
    if i offer it and he does not eat it do i try the next day ? or wait till the next feeding day (tuesdays) for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast