Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

0 members and 3,372 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Pfft... Dexter doesn't count as a new pet....

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    That's a remarkable enclosure for him. I'd really like you to post on how he does in it in the next few weeks. See if there are any bugs to work out in it(things he might chew, or jump over, etc). I'll send the link to this to friends with bunnies, since I know they don't have anything so cool for their buns.
    He's been two weeks in, so far no chew issues. Then again, he has lots of things in there that he's allowed to chew on and which are enticing, so he's not as enticed to chew on the rest.

He loves the second level... I was worried with how low the front currently is that he would jump out, but he hasn't tried yet... I bought a second back up set to make this higher if he does figure it out.

Cleaning has been fairly simple - he mostly uses the litter boxes, and a few over the side leaks apart it wasn't much so I just wipe it down with a damp cloth and change the litter and all is good.

The only modification I had to make was the hay shelf on the second level right side got removed and replaced by a dish for 2 reasons: 1 because he kept running into it as he raced around and I didn't want him to get a foot caught; 2 because he couldn't quite figure out how to get the hay out of it, so wouldn't use it except to just jump over it and sit in the hay.

So far though, I've lucked out. He's not much of a chewer at all. He scratches the grass mat a bit and tosses it all over, digs in his box of paper and sometimes in the top left litter box (which makes a HUGE mess) but otherwise, no issues chewing on plastic etc.

The only slight annoyance (other than fitting the pastic knobs on) was that I didn't quite have enough of the plastic bits with the way I built it... The ones that came with the frosted plastic on the bottom row were too small for the wire ones used on the top, and hence mostly useless.

In total for what's in the picture I used one pack of the frosted plastic ones (17.99), and 2 packs of the metal (15.99 each). I have a third pack on hand to add more height if/when he figures out that he can jump high enough to get out, but more likely they will be added tomorrow before I leave for the night. The foam lego bottoms were 14.99 for a pack of 6, and the tarp I think 5$, the pink thing was an old Yoga matt that I cut up as there were no plastic supports under the shelves and I wanted them to be level. As for the wood logs, I got the medium ones from the pet store, and they are cable tied in series to the back, and then they curve under to support the shelf which is also cable tied. In retrospect, the large ones might have been easier to work with considering the distance, and a heavier bunny would definately need something bigger to support it. The cable ties I had on hand.

So far, it holds up to being lifted and moved around - but it was a super huge pain to put together, And will have to be disassembled when we move... Using a hammer didn't help because it would just knock others loose, and I really should have taken a photo of what my hands looked like after...
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

Re: Pfft... Dexter doesn't count as a new pet....

Look at that!! WOW! cool.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snakelady For This Useful Post:

GirDance (12-26-2008)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12