Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

1 members and 3,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Honestly Strange Behavior, not Noob stuff...

So Im pretty good with the whole husbandry thing but today has me quite perplexed. Ive had this guy for a year now and he has been great, always eats, thermoregulates like clock work, ect. But today I went to feed him and he seemed to act different. First, he was inside his hide but laying almost side ways with his head laying over the top of his body (I guess normal but not really..) when I took him out to feed him he didn't seem to know which way was up and which way was down not like IBD spinning but like retard Spider behavior, I set him down in the tub to feed him and he struck the first mouse, killed it but then wouldn't eat it, so I figured Id try again with a different mouse, he did the same thing. I took him out and put him back in his tank and for the past 10 hrs he hasn't moved from the middle of his tank, he just sits under the CHE and occasionally looks around.
    Could this be caused by the weather, I know today was the winter equinox but I really dont understand whats going on? Any thought?
    1.0 Spider Ball (Kingsley)

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Re: Honestly Strange Behavior, not Noob stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by giaach View Post
    So Im pretty good with the whole husbandry thing but today has me quite perplexed. Ive had this guy for a year now and he has been great, always eats, thermoregulates like clock work, ect. But today I went to feed him and he seemed to act different. First, he was inside his hide but laying almost side ways with his head laying over the top of his body (I guess normal but not really..) when I took him out to feed him he didn't seem to know which way was up and which way was down not like IBD spinning but like retard Spider behavior, I set him down in the tub to feed him and he struck the first mouse, killed it but then wouldn't eat it, so I figured Id try again with a different mouse, he did the same thing. I took him out and put him back in his tank and for the past 10 hrs he hasn't moved from the middle of his tank, he just sits under the CHE and occasionally looks around.
    Could this be caused by the weather, I know today was the winter equinox but I really dont understand whats going on? Any thought?

There are a couple things that first come to mind. Tis the season for them to go off of feed, first of all. Second, did you check his belly? Is he pink?

And honestly, as long as he's not underweight, I wouldn't worry too too much. Some times they just want to be left alone.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

He shed 2 weeks ago. Im just thrown but his lack of motor skills, meaning his confusion/disregard for whats up and whats down.

Thanks

I personaly dont know what to tell you hopefully there is someone here who maybe has had the same past experience and can direct you. But if he is acting like you say he is, it may be a good idea for a check up at the vet. I wouldnt worry to much about him not eating for they are known for vasting for many months at a time. But you mentioned how he seems to be acting slow(retarded) I would get a check up, just my opinion it wouldnt hurt anything, only help

Thanks

I mean, with christmas right around the corner and a planned trip to chicago right after, the soonest I could probably get him into the vet would be january. I know its not IDB because he hasn't been around any other snakes, the only other thing could be an RI because we did lose power this past friday, but I took him and his cage to a place with electricity. And he isn't showing any of the common signs, i.e Weezing, fluid around the nose, open mouth breathing...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Have you double checked your temps? Overheating can cause similar behaviour - as can certain types of parasites IIRC.

It really might be worth putting an apointment on at the vet - if you manage to find the cause before then you can always cancel.

But January is a fair bit away.

You havent been exposed to any chemicals or anything or changed anything in his enclosure? The place you get feeders isn't treating for mites or anything?

Just trying to think of anything you could rule out - the vet will almost certainly ask anyway.

I hope your guy is ok.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I mean hes moving around right now like a normal bp would at night, which leads me to believe it was just a fluke. The vet I go to is one of the best in Ohio but he also happens to be 2 hrs away. Temps are fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Glad to hear it seems to have passed - maybe it was just the spider being a spider thing?

I seem to remember people mentioning it being more prevalent at feeding time - possibly through excitement. Of course I could be lowering my trousers to talk as usual.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

he is a spider?

Thanks

Im sure your your husbandry is up to par, but have you spot checked all your equipment lately? How are you measuring your temps? That would be the first thing i check. Otherwise sounds like it could be neurological, maybe a vet visit wouldnt hurt. I hope he pulls through his little funk. Good luck.

Dang i guess i type slow, in the time it took me to post this 4 posts were made before mine.
    Last edited by juddb; 12-23-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: something to add!