Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

0 members and 3,155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Affects of racking your snakes?

Hello all this may have been asked and answered before yet I cannot find the thread, sorry if this is a repeat.

What are the effects on your snake if any by keeping them in a rack system (Specifically plastic tubs, not rack systems that hold glass tank after glass tank)?

My thoughts: It seems they wouldn't have ample room to really get comfortable or move around and explore, there's not usually 2 hides at each end (atleast in the majority of pics I've seen), does a rack allow for thermal gradients or is it just an overall temp? Does the temperament of the snake change, maybe they prefer it because there's less going on around them or at least what they can pick up on? Anything else I forgot to ask that you wanna chime in about feel free.

I know that racks obviously work and are a necessity I'm just confused as to how/why that works and when there's so much emphasis on good husbandry (different temps, 2 hides, water dish, plants etc...) I also know that everyone's snake racks are different, I'm asking for a general fyi on the subject.

Thanks in advance
    Check me out on Facebook "Medusa's morphs"

Thanks

Re: Affects of racking your snakes?

Tubs tend to work better than glass tanks for maintaining temps and humidity. It creates a more stable environment that is less susceptible to change from the room temp/humidity changes. If the set up is done properly then yes, a proper thermo-gradient will be provided as it is necessary for the snakes well being.

Do you remember what kind of substrates the rack systems you viewed used? Many tubs are lined with newspaper/paper towels and the snakes can just burrow under them for a hide. Also, as the tub itself is usually compact and non-transparent, it acts as a hide itself.

BPs aren't very mobile snakes and prefer balling up in a secure, tight spot. Just another reason why tubs work great for them!

I switched my BP from a glass tank to a tub and couldn't be happier. Humidity was always a problem with the screen top and keeping ambient temps up was also difficult. IMO glass tanks work best for snakes with less husbandry requirements like corn snakes (the ambient temps and humidity can generally be kept to what the room is set at). Corn snakes are also more mobile and appreciate the extra roaming/climbing space.

Hope this helps! I'm by no means an expert but I've read tons and tons of posts by the experts so this post was based off their info and some of my experiences.

Thanks

This will open up a great discussion!

As I understand things, there are four options for a snake keeper: a stand alone plastic tub, a rack system, a glass tank, and a reptile cage.

I have four rack systems and 6 reptile cages, all purchased from RBI. I am very happy with all of the products.

That said, I have noticed differences in the snakes in cages and the snakes in tubs:
    -Snakes in cages have far greater opportunity to thermoregulate
    -Snakes in cages have far greater opportunities for movement
    -Snakes in cages can get away from their feces until morning when I clean them
    -Snakes in cages eat as well as the snakes in the tubs... a lot of time, better.

However, and this is a big one, smaller snakes do better in smaller tubs, generally speaking. (Also, the individual snake's sense of security needs to be taken into account.)

I have a couple of snakes who might never go into a large cage-- they are just more comfortable in cramped quarters. I also have had young snakes go into the cages and thrive. It just all depends on the snake.

As for thermal gradients, I don't feel that there is enough of a gradient for a larger snake in a tub-- at least in a 32qt tub.

Anyway, there are just my thoughts and I'm sure others will have different, or similar, thoughts and experiences

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Measuring temps in my racks shows a decent temputure gradient. The back is warmer, the front cooler. The bin in a rack seems to act as a hide in itself, and my snakes have rarely used a hide when I've put one or more into a rack(exceptions are small hatchlings, which will use a hide if I put it in the back, or face the opening towards the back).
    My snakes seem to eat and shed better, and they seem more relaxed to me(other than feeding day). I think the greater privacy that a snake gets in a rack makes them feel more secure than the open tanks or cages.
    Thankfully, ball pythons are amazingly resilant, and seem to thrive in a variety of set-ups. As long as the proper temps and humidity are kept, and the snake is eating and shedding well, I'd say it was a decently happy snake. I'm not rabidly FOR or AGAINST any racks, bins, tanks, or cages, as long as they are safe for the animal.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

My snakes seem to love their tubs / rack systems. They are terrestrial creatures, so do not need a lot of cage height. The rack also keeps their heat and humidity perfect, unlike a lot of other cages. I do not use hides. They just hide under their paper bedding if they want to hide. They seem to have more than enough space to move around if the want too. In my opinion, ball pythons especially love tight dark spaces, so a tub in a rack system is perfect.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsslug View Post
    It seems they wouldn't have ample room to really get comfortable or move around
    I've also wondered about this. When people post pictures of their setup in a glass tank, occasionally you'll see the comment "That tank is too small for your adult." But, I've seen more pictures of racks/tubs that are, imo, small, for adults. Alot of people have said they just use 41qt tubs for their adults I think? Those seem too small, to me anyway. They seem perfect for my juvies, but for adults... Is there a reason for this?

I'm just trying to figure out the right size tubs to get for my rack..

Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Queenbee; 1.0 Spider; 1.0 Spider Het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Albino Cinny; 1.0 Albino Pin; 1.0 Butter Pastel
    0.1 Het Axanthic; 0.2 Albino; 0.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastave; 0.1 Pastel; 0.1 Butter
    0.1 Super Vanilla Mojave
    Others:
    1.0 Kahl Albino BCI
    1.0 Albino Anaconda Hognose
    Mammals:
    4.0 Kitties, 3.1 Doggos, 0.2 Horses

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus_Love View Post
    I've also wondered about this. When people post pictures of their setup in a glass tank, occasionally you'll see the comment "That tank is too small for your adult." But, I've seen more pictures of racks/tubs that are, imo, small, for adults. Alot of people have said they just use 41qt tubs for their adults I think? Those seem too small, to me anyway. They seem perfect for my juvies, but for adults... Is there a reason for this?

I'm just trying to figure out the right size tubs to get for my rack..
    A 41 qt will comfortably house your largest ball python. I house all of my adults in approximately 41 qt tubs, sub-adults in 32 qt tubs, and hatchlings in 6qt tubs.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

I have a CB-70 rack for my adult BPs, and they have plenty of room to streach out and move around. And go from the warm side to the cool side with no problem. hope this helps

Thanks

We built our racks and they have a temp gradiant back to front, I do not use hides since the entire tub acts as one large burrow. I like the shoe box sized tubs for hatchlings up to 300g or so and then I like to move them up to the 32qt size tubs. I do feel that the 41qt tubs are a little small for my adult females (this is my comfort level and I am not saying people who use 41qt tubs are doing anything wrong) so we are working on a rack that uses the $12.00 tubs from walmart. Our other adult females are in a display cage that my bf built it is 36''x18''x9'' and holds 12 adult females.

I have also kept animals in tanks and I feel that in my experience my snakes eat, shed and grow better in rack systems. Even in our display cage we have a harder time in the winter when the heat is on and the hottest part of the summer when the air is on with incomplete shedding. I honestly think the reason balls do better with 2 hides in tanks is because they have 4 or more sides made of see through matterial making the ball feel more insecure. I agree with Theresa in that balls are very adapatable to the different types of set ups they can thrive in.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

hoe big is a 41 qt tub if you use the metric system?

I use visions cb70 tubs for all my adult and I have females that's 4000 grams in there. They seem to do just fine and eat every week, perfekt sheds every time and so on...

Follow us on Twitter or on Youtube

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast