Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

4 members and 3,370 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How much was your Hognose?

HELP!!!
    This hognose is from a reptile store 5 miles from me. The guys there are great and knows their stuff and their door says "Competitive Prices". I just don't want to pay $150 for a $50 snake. I will be upset. No shipping involved.
    I contacted FloridaHogs but her availability listing only has baby hoggies. This is for my 7-year-old son, so I would need one that is close to the size of a baby ball python so he can handle it with confidence. The worm-sized hoggies would probably not be a good idea. But, heck, I don't really know what I'm doing here!

(and I was really getting good at ball pythons too... now, I have to learn something entirely different!)
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

I paid $50 for a year old one and $150 for a pair of het albino "08"

Thanks

My first hoggie was 150 but i was nieve (however it's spelled) and he was great but i payed WAY too much. My next hogs were for 50 bucks from Jim at split rock reptiles and i got a pair from him. My little western was 45 at a show. My Mexicans were more. 75 for a baby female reduced pattern and 309 for a breeding pair. All three were bought at shows about a year ago.
    Best thing to do is find a reptile show near you if you're just looking for an inexpensive guy. I like buying from breeders because they can give you the history of the snake and you know it was a business transaction, not an exchange of some cash in a gym with a bunch of tables. I have not had any bad experiences at reptile shows, though.
    Florida hogs has a great reputation. Buying from there and paying the shipping would be worth it and quite a good investment for very good, very health hogs with great lineage.
    Baby hogs are my favorite, especially before they grow into their eyes. They are pretty easy to handle, too, but can get away pretty quick. They will never be the size of an adult ball python but they get about the size of a 6mo old ball python that eats well.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

My husband just told me that when he went to look at the hognose at the reptile store he said that one of the store owners said the hognose was bought and returned because it hissed a lot. I'm wondering about this because, I've only been researching hognoses for a week and one of the first things I came across was that hognoses do that a lot - kinda like how a ball python curls into a ball a lot... So, for these people that bought the hoggie and returned it because it hisses kinda made me think either there's something else wrong with the animal or that these were ignorant people who bought a hognose like they buy a pair of shoes (saw it at a window display and thought it was cute). So, just in case it was the former, I'm looking at other options...

So, what do you all think about this ad?

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=81078

Good price? It's possible het albino which means, it's probably just a regular hoggie.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    My husband just told me that when he went to look at the hognose at the reptile store he said that one of the store owners said the hognose was bought and returned because it hissed a lot. I'm wondering about this because, I've only been researching hognoses for a week and one of the first things I came across was that hognoses do that a lot - kinda like how a ball python curls into a ball a lot... So, for these people that bought the hoggie and returned it because it hisses kinda made me think either there's something else wrong with the animal or that these were ignorant people who bought a hognose like they buy a pair of shoes (saw it at a window display and thought it was cute). So, just in case it was the former, I'm looking at other options...

So, what do you all think about this ad?

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=81078

Good price? It's possible het albino which means, it's probably just a regular hoggie.
    Not bad but they are asking alot for them to then tac shipping on top of that. They look like a mix of Western and Mexican. Dragnbaron has some nice pictures of some Mexicans a few threads down if you want to compare. The female (one on the left) looks most like a mixed hogger.
    Getting two in order to try and breed is fine but if you're looking for pets keep in mind that you need to watch them carefully because they are known to eat one another.
    I've heard good things about Louis' snakes, though. You can also try kingsnake.com to compare prices with normals.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to whytepizza For This Useful Post:

Dragnbaron (12-20-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    My husband just told me that when he went to look at the hognose at the reptile store he said that one of the store owners said the hognose was bought and returned because it hissed a lot.
    That's a hognose, nothing to worry about They like to hiss but once you get used to it it's kind of cute. People buy snakes from petstores not knowing ANYTHING about them, it really sucks. Then the snakes end up not being properly cared for. Mine like to hiss if it's too cold in the room They are prissy little snakes. If i put them on the floor and it's cold they hiss right away. If it's warm they want to explore. My little female het albino western likes to sit in the grass when it's nice and warm but if it's a little wet and cold she hisses up a storm.
    My male het albino western hisses all the time until he's picked up. Hissing is totally normal.

P.S. Thanks Whytepizza, i appreciate the awesome shout out. You're a true old timer
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12