Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

2 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Do you have concerns about melamine racks

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 15.24%
  • No

132 62.86%
  • I have no idea

46 21.90%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Melamine Racks

Thanks

Re: Melamine Racks

Quote Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
    Same here. Mine weren't overly large, but started to sag after about three years.
    Hmmm Yeah i guess thats a problem with the center of the particle board (inner part of the melamine) bending in because of its weight... Well, i just built a melamine rack and already cant wait to trash it Sad right? At this point with so many snakes, its definitely worth it to save up for a nice professionally made rack (boahphile,animal plastics, vision, rbi)... They will most likely last a LONG time, you will never have any sliding problems, bubbling problems, nor sagging problems... I just cant wait till i save up my money to buy myself a nice vision rack, and some nice baby racks, so i can get rid of all my melamine racks, which are SO heavy and are always having problems...

Thanks

So what other types of woods can we use? Melamine aren't the only material ya kno? Can I use solid wood boards instead? Or do the stores sell shelfs that fit the tubs perfectly?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

You can use wood but it is recommended to to seal it to prevent warping, no shelves that fit the tubs perfectly
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

I read in a thread somewhere where someone used a metal brace for the shelves to prevent warping/sagging.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I met The Snake Keeper in person, and he is ONE RUDE SOB.

I can see why he talks down on melamine, he doesnt make it.

I was just trying to shoot the breeze with him and talk about new morphs that were comin up and he goes...no joke people

"ITS ALL CRAP. THERE IS NOTHING NEW AND EXCITING ON THE MARKET EXCEPT MY TRI-STRIPE."

I can say with great pride, that I will NEVER buy anything from him.
    I talked briefly with Collette at Daytona in 07, she was very nice, I've never met Dan, so I can't really comment. I picked a couple of normals from TSK and would not hesitate to buy from them in the future.

I am about to build a new rack and plan on using melamine.

Thanks

I don't have concerns about using them; although, I do not use them. I prefer plastic or metal racks, and plastic cages.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Banned
    Thanks

hey i use wood im building out of birch right now

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Hmmm Yeah i guess thats a problem with the center of the particle board (inner part of the melamine) bending in because of its weight... Well, i just built a melamine rack and already cant wait to trash it Sad right? At this point with so many snakes, its definitely worth it to save up for a nice professionally made rack (boahphile,animal plastics, vision, rbi)... They will most likely last a LONG time, you will never have any sliding problems, bubbling problems, nor sagging problems... I just cant wait till i save up my money to buy myself a nice vision rack, and some nice baby racks, so i can get rid of all my melamine racks, which are SO heavy and are always having problems...
    As with most wood and wood products, there are different grades of melamine. I have racks that I built in 1993 that are still in use. Most home improvement stores sell a cheaper grade with a paper coating instead of a plastic(melamine) coating. The density of the particle board is alo another issue. Most counter tops and cabinets in your home are made from particle board. The best place to buy your melamine is from a mill shop or a custom cabinet shop. Tell them what your are using it for and the specifications and they will get you the right stuff. I can build two 10-space racks for less than what most cage builders charge for one 5- space rack.

As for sagging, I've seen more sagging in plastic caging than any other type.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Osborne View Post
    As with most wood and wood products, there are different grades of melamine. I have racks that I built in 1993 that are still in use. Most home improvement stores sell a cheaper grade with a paper coating instead of a plastic(melamine) coating. The density of the particle board is alo another issue. Most counter tops and cabinets in your home are made from particle board. The best place to buy your melamine is from a mill shop or a custom cabinet shop. Tell them what your are using it for and the specifications and they will get you the right stuff. I can build two 10-space racks for less than what most cage builders charge for one 5- space rack.

As for sagging, I've seen more sagging in plastic caging than any other type.
    If I'm buying 4x8 melamine sheets what should I be looking for to ensure I'm getting the best material I can get for my $?

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    If I'm buying 4x8 melamine sheets what should I be looking for to ensure I'm getting the best material I can get for my $?
    Aaron, you want to look at the edge of the sheet. Try to peel away at the corner to see if it is paper or plastic. Plastic melamine will also have a slightly "pitted" texture as opposed to the super smooth paper. If you can peel it back like paper don't buy it. Some of the plastic type can chip around the edges, but this is usually from cutting at the mill and is nothing to worry about. The plastic type coating is sprayed on and is very durable in most cases. You can also get melamine coated MDF, but in my experience the particle board is much more tolerable. You also want to look at how dense and compact the particle board it. The more dense and tight the particles the better. Also avoid any melamine with the round edge. This is usually a paper coated, low density board.

The best bet would be to buy it from a millwork shop or cabinet shop. They can also cut it for a small fee. My shop cuts mine for $12.50 per sheet for any number of cuts. If the shop makes pro quailty products, it's usually cut by lazer for perfect measurements and very clean cuts.

good luck.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast