Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

5 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: weak snake??

Thanks

weak snake??

i just got my first bp about a month ago. hes still only a couple months, but he seems weak.. i have to corns n they play all over their tank, but my bp seems to fall over ALOT when climbing up objects. idk if this is just because he is young n just not strong enough yet. This is the same bp that has the spinal kink at the end of his body (pictures posted in previous threads) hes eating n digested just fine, so im hoping he'll be ok. thanks

Thanks

Re: weak snake??

In my opinion I would think that the spinal kink has alot to do with him being unable to keep his balance. If he is feeding and digesting his food, that is a good sign. But have you checked his weight? Does he seem small for his age/skinny? Hopefully it all works out well for you, but I dont think there is much you can do other than what you have been doing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MDB For This Useful Post:

ohkid918 (12-09-2008)

Thanks

I haven't read the other thread you are talking about but Ball pythons are ground dwelling snakes. They don't have the same climbing ability that a corn or boa has. So, I would guess that that is the difference you are noticing, not that he is weak. I wouldn't think a kink way at the tail end of his body would be a big problem.

Another possibility is that he has some of the spider wobble in him. Is he a spider or spider cross?
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to snakelady For This Useful Post:

ohkid918 (12-09-2008)

Thanks

hes a pastel. n thats a good idea to check his weight n record it. he looks normal weight. im still waiting on him to shed thou, looks like it should b soon.

the spinal kink is kinda my only major concern with him. im really hoping it doesnt effect him as he grows. he a good, friendly snake n i wouldnt want to see him suffer.

Thanks

I agree with Tashai. The only BP I have that actually has a climbing branch is my adult, and that's because he's bigger, longer, stronger, and able to actually hold on to something. He absolutely loves it too, he spends more time two feet above the ground on his branch than he does on the bottom of his tank. My two 08's have little branches that just lay on the floor, for them to slide over or rub against during shed, but not leaning against anything because I'd rather them not climb up and lose their balance then fall. If you're really worried about him hurting himself when he falls, either reposition the items he's climbing up, or take them out, so he can't get up on top of them and then fall off.

Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Queenbee; 1.0 Spider; 1.0 Spider Het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Albino Cinny; 1.0 Albino Pin; 1.0 Butter Pastel
    0.1 Het Axanthic; 0.2 Albino; 0.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastave; 0.1 Pastel; 0.1 Butter
    0.1 Super Vanilla Mojave
    Others:
    1.0 Kahl Albino BCI
    1.0 Albino Anaconda Hognose
    Mammals:
    4.0 Kitties, 3.1 Doggos, 0.2 Horses