Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

5 members and 3,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

totally new to all of this!

Saturday night I was in my kitchen and noticed a toy snakes head ... I didn't think ANYTHING of it ... I continued with my dishes loading, unloading, putting away pots and pans in the cabinet right about the head ... After the dishes were done I Got out the broom to clean up a bit ... I started gathering toys (I have a 3 and a 6 year old) and I leaned into pick up the "toy snake" and thought "the kids don't have toy snakes that look that real" I grabbed the broom and sweeped the floor just in front of the head it SLOWLY pulled back I get down on the floor and look and the booger was above the vent and below the cabinets that are on the floor. Well I got a really good look at that BEAUTIFUL face and I was 90% sure it was a python. This is no shy snake he watches me all the time and if I am alone in the kitchen he sticks his head out so I know he is there! Last night my FIL and I enticed him with some Chicken Livers he ate out of he spoon! We let him be I knew when he was ready he would come to me he is very tame and his mannerisms not a all threatening. Well this morning he had made his way o the bathroom off the kitchen I can only assume that's where he has been getting his water ... I don't know how long he has been here but I will say I haven't seen any mice lately which is STRANGE for my house in the city... anyway he saw me as he was heading back to his spot under the cabinets and instead he turned and came to me he is about 5ish feet long ... molting ... and just BEAUTIFUL!! I called my bil upstairs to pick him up because, well, he is wonderful at things like that. The snake didn't shy away, didn't go all defensive ... it was almost as if he was happy to be handled ...

I have checked local pet shops, papers, and animal control to see if anyone had reported a lost snake of any kind ... my efforts turned up nothing. am goodness knows how long he has been watching me from under there hahaha

So in a few I am heading out to get all the "essentials" I have a 50 gallon tank, a 150 and a 250 .... for now until I can rearrange my furniture he will be living in the in the 50 ... once he is settled I will take a pic or two and maybe get some help in IDing him.

So any pointers?! neat little things I might in find in a care book?!

I am sooo excited about this guy!! (or girl) My father in law just recently moved into my home and he is a zoologist... so he knows some things I just want to know more!!

if you hung with me until now thank you I know that was a lot of reading ... I am just really so excited!!!

Thanks

Re: totally new to all of this!

wow thats crazy. Are you positive its a python? And if so what kind of python> it may me a realy good idea to post pics if you are unsure. That would be bad to find out that it isnt what you think it is. I love my ball pythons, but I am petrified of other snakes. If I found a snake that didnt belong to me in my home. I would be moving out, lol. Goodluck

Thanks

Sounds like a cool experience, wish I was that lucky

You should get a positive ID on him/her ASAP though so you can learn the proper care of whatever species he/she may be.

Thanks

I will try to get pics this evening I am in the process of moving some things to storage to get this 50 gallon in place ... in the next few weekends I will be doing some big time furniture moving to get him a larger space ...

Thanks

yes congrats! very cool story! i also find it cool that you didn't call animal conrol or have it killed by someone. please post some pics of this guy/gal. this way you can find out what exactly you should do to keep it. some snakes have different temp and humidity requirements compared to others. just an FYI!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
    yes congrats! very cool story! i also find it cool that you didn't call animal conrol or have it killed by someone. please post some pics of this guy/gal. this way you can find out what exactly you should do to keep it. some snakes have different temp and humidity requirements compared to others. just an FYI!
    OMGoodness NO!!!! I have ALWAYS wanted a snake and besides I already have a zoo whats one more?!?! hahaha
    1 rabbit (rescue)
    1 red earred slider (rescue)
    1 dog
    3 parakeets (one talker)

As I said before my FIL and BIL just recently had to move into our home ... and they brought with them 4 indoor/outdoor cats (mostly outdoors)
    1 very large albino frog (he kinda creeps me out!!)
    one very large placo
    one tiny albino catfish
    One hammie
    and one beta

we have habitats EVERYWHERE!!!

Whats one more ... teehee

Thanks

First, welcome to the forum. You'll find everything you need to know right here! If you cannot find it, just ask and the great people here will be happy to lend a hand.

Great story! It's not often a story like this has a happy ending. Good for you!

Thanks

So amazing! Congrats on being "owned" LOL! Can't wait to see pics... and as Kim stated above, bpnet will point you in all the right directions for certain species care!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Ok ... well he is in his new home ... and after getting a VERY close look at him ... he / she is a Boa ... after a LONG drink of water he crawled into his new pipe and is studying us I will take pics once he is a bit more comfy he has had a long day and is still very calm and curious. I think I am in love ... again ... hehehe ... I will go ahead and post in the boa section from here on out thank you all for your warm welcomes to me, the new snake mama!

Thanks

Can't wait for the pics!