Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,017

3 members and 1,014 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: arboreal???

Thanks

arboreal???

Hey

I have 2 female cresties in a partitioned tank.

I have fake vines and leaves on the walls attached by suction cups. I put an exo terra cave hide that my girlfriend gave to me when she had a garter snake. For the past couple of weeks, she has been in that hide and hardly ever sleeps on the vines. She started doing this when autumn hit. I took the whole cage apart cause I couldn't find her. I lifted up the hide thinkin she was dead. Is this normal?? I've been changing the vine locations thinkin I'm not giving her anough climbing space or it was too cluttered, but all seems well.
    Chester

1.0 normal bp- Jake
    0.2 crested geckos- Reptar & ________

Thanks

Re: arboreal???

How thick are the vines? They like to be on limbs and vines that are thicker than their bodies. And dont just have vines. Get lots of branches a couple inches thick and put lots of plastic leaves on them like the ones from a hobby shop. I drill holes in the limbs and hot glue the leaves in. gives them nice hiding spots.

Thanks

I have a hide(coolwhip bowl with a hole in the lid big enough for them to go in and out) in my tank that has coco bark in it and I moist it, my crested goes in it quite often especially at night, I also have two rock cave hides, and the smaller one gets used when I feed crickets, but the other he basically just crawls on, he doesnt go in it at all, so its more for looks.

they do move around quite alot, what this means is the vines and stuff you have is probably not enough cover for them to hide in close to the top of the tank.

You would want lots of ivy vines and flowers, not just vines....
    Stacey
    1.2 Shih Tzu's (Bert, Lea, Maci)
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko (Sparx, Skylar)

***really badly want an albino, butter and a carmel ball and a creamsicle crested gecko***

Thanks

I mean I just don't have vines.

I have thick vines from petco...there about half inch in diamter. and then then I got leaves that are connected with thiN ~12 gauge vine. I have the leaves wrapped around the thick vine. Seems liveable.
    Chester

1.0 normal bp- Jake

Thanks

If you have a huge hobby store close buy get some plastic plants with giant leaves. I have some elephant leaves that i seperated from a small tree i bought. Then made a hide up in the top corner of the tank. If the hide is on the ground they wont like it. They need to be un in the branches to feel safe.
    So i made a nest out of small sticks and giant leaves and they are always inside it. Thye only time they come out is to eat.

Thanks

mine almost always retreat to the ground into their provided corkbark tubes when they are 'sleeping'. then in the evening they come out.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

during the day mine sometimes sleep on the ground, the female likes to try to hide under the paper towel

Thanks

They are sleeping on the ground because they dont feel secure on the small vines. The vines look ok but they are too small to be functional for an adult cresty. I would go wth something at least 1 inch in diameter. And have several branches that criss cross but still in an up and down fashion. And fill the top of the tank with large leaf plastic plants. If you want them to be happy make them a nice small tree like enviornment to live in. The more leaves and branches the more secure they will feel.

Thanks

trust me....theres enough vines and leaves....she isn't an adult. One inch diameter vines seems a little much.
    Chester

1.0 normal bp- Jake