Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

0 members and 3,213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: handling

Thanks

handling

I found a ball python about a month ago. at first he was pretty active and seemed normal for being found in my back yard in 40 degree weather. For the last three weeks it hasnt came out of its hide box. It has eaten twice since tho. I tried to handle it for the first time today, when i did it made some jolting movements and srarted to try and like puff up its body......weird. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: handling

First of all: a hiding ball python is a happy ball python. This is 100% normal. I think most ball pythons will be active when moved to a new enclosure, sort of checking out the new territory, and then calm down and just hide. Mine spends 99% of daylight time in her hide, and will come out for a little while at nights, usually most often right before feeding day.

As far as handling, all snakes are different. Yours may very well still be stressed from the previous situation it was in(40 degree weather, left out in the wild etc.) Some snakes are just plain jumpy. One thing to note, is that pretty much all BPs are very head-shy, and they don't like you putting your hands and fingers close to the head/neck are(1/6 or so the length of the snake starting at the head), mine tends to jump and make quick movements to pull away if she thinks something's trying to touch her head.

The puffing up I've never seen a BP do.. Some snakes do it for defensive posturing, but BPs are known for balling up(hence the name) rather than striking a pose. Maybe yours is just a little more confident and stands its ground instead of just trying to hide.

Thanks

One of my snakes hisses sometimes and puffs up. I take it to mean he is telling me not to mess with him and so is making himself look larger and makes a scary sound. Lol!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

it was weird, iv never seen a ball python do that. I wasnt sure if i should leave it alone or go ahead and try to handle it. Not it the mood to get bitten. With it being in the wild and all i wasnt sure if i had given it enough time to adjust, but its been about a month.