Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: CO2 Chamber- Airtight?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

I like this idea. I am going to need to build me one soon.
    0.7 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    0.0.1 Sonoran Desert Boa
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    1.24 Breeder Rats
    4.8 Breeder ASF's

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Microddot For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (11-26-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    I have to keep my gas running because the damn styro is so loose I have had mice pass out, me thinking they are dead....me leaving them in the kill tank for a few minutes, starting to bag them, and them starting to breathe again.
    Well that dont make sense...

Where is your hole for the tubing? Bottom? Top?

Thanks

I have to keep my gas running because the damn styro is so loose I have had mice pass out, me thinking they are dead....me leaving them in the kill tank for a few minutes, starting to bag them, and them starting to breathe again.
    You need to leave them in longer than you presently are.

Thanks

CO2 feeds in the top. I usually have the gas running for 4-5 minutes now, since I had the batch wake up on me. For that batch, they had the gas on for about 30 seconds, then I let them sit about 5 minutes before I started to bag them, and some of them started breathing again.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

CO2 feeds in the top. I usually have the gas running for 4-5 minutes now, since I had the batch wake up on me. For that batch, they had the gas on for about 30 seconds, then I let them sit about 5 minutes before I started to bag them, and some of them started breathing again.
    Do you have any pictures of your set up, I'm sorry but I find that incredibly hard to believe, unless either you have a MASSIVE leak, or you're trying to CO2 pinkies.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anendeloflorien View Post
    Hey Deb where did you get the valve for that Co2 tank?
    on amazon it is called a remote coil, you can also check on ebay.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

When we start the gas (ours is JUST like Deb's) it's a very slow trickle, can't even hear it unless your ear is right next to the tank and puts them down in approx 3 minutes, then, once they lose conciousness, we turn the gas on much higher until they stop breathing.

Thanks

don't know if this is as humane, but you can also put them in a very small airtight tupperware. the smaller the bowl and the more mice/rats you can stick in there the better. you don't have to use any co2, just set the tiny tupperware near the heat lamps so their bodies don't get cold. it has to be AIR TIGHT. shake the bowl to make sure they are out and leave it for like 1 or 2 minutes longer. i've had them wake up on me before too, it's pretty pitiful. the tupperwares i use are only as big as the mouse. the smaller the bowl, the less they have to suffer.

i've also heard of using airduster, the stuff you use to clean electronics with, human teens get high off it all the time (so i figure it's less pain for the rats), i would use a tiny tupperware like stated above but put a hole only big enough for the straw, squeeze the trigger for like one second and plug the hole. if you're going to use your finger to plug the hole i would put some saran wrap over it for protection from scratching.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pillowtalk6188 View Post
    don't know if this is as humane, but you can also put them in a very small airtight tupperware. the smaller the bowl and the more mice/rats you can stick in there the better. you don't have to use any co2, just set the tiny tupperware near the heat lamps so their bodies don't get cold. it has to be AIR TIGHT. shake the bowl to make sure they are out and leave it for like 1 or 2 minutes longer. i've had them wake up on me before too, it's pretty pitiful. the tupperwares i use are only as big as the mouse. the smaller the bowl, the less they have to suffer.

i've also heard of using airduster, the stuff you use to clean electronics with, human teens get high off it all the time (so i figure it's less pain for the rats), i would use a tiny tupperware like stated above but put a hole only big enough for the straw, squeeze the trigger for like one second and plug the hole. if you're going to use your finger to plug the hole i would put some saran wrap over it for protection from scratching.
    then again i'm not doing 20+ mice/rats so... yeah. i do about 4 at a time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pillowtalk6188 View Post

Yeah.....not that humane...anyway, I am not home now but I will get pics when I get back....like Connie, usually a trickle to start, then a very audible stream once they go out. We have C02'd pinkies, and they were the ones that came back on us.

However, we have only done one set of pinkies, so the number of killings is still accurate even with adult mice. Have not done any rats yet, though we have some pups we are putting down tomorrow.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast