Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,003

1 members and 3,002 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Does he not know he's nocturnal?

I know bps are nocturnal, but mine only comes out during the day....
    I got him a little over two months ago and for the first month and a half he would only come out at night and would be in his hide throughout the entire day, which is what most bps would do. However about two weeks ago I fed him and he went into his hide as usual to digest and stayed in there for about half a day longer than usual..which means he came out at about 11 in the morning instead of 11 at night. Ever since then he's been coming out consistently around 11 or noon and staying out until about 6 in the evening doing his usual nighttime routine. Then he goes back into his hide for the duration of the night (and I know he stays in there because I'm a terrible sleeper and being the proud parent that I am, I look over to see what he's up to in the middle of the night).

Temperatures as of right now are 91.3 on the hot side and 83.7 on the cold side, humidity is 49% (which is a bit low, it's usually around 52-53, but winter is proving to be a bit of an issue). He's on aspen bedding, two hides, fresh water. Does he just need a new alarm clock or what?

Thanks

Re: Does he not know he's nocturnal?

I'm glad you posted this, I have similar problems as you can see in my other post. Maybe were worrying too much since were new, but we will see what others think.

Gary

Thanks

I believe bp's are actually crepuscular being active during twilight (dawn and dusk) not nocturnal. So yeah it's a little weird that your bp is active during the day but not weird that he sleeps at night. They would sleep day and night being awake during the short hours that are neither, twilight.

Make sure your husbandry is right, and that he's eating correctly. If it's all good then you've just got a bp with a strange sleep pattern, they've all got their own personalities.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't know what to tell you, Adam. I'm sure it's fine as long as he's not acting... weird(er) than that.
    I vote on the new Alarm clock

Thanks

This is also a weird time of year for ball pythons: breeding season. Maybe he's just feeling a little jittery???

Tonight was feeding night for mine and my male mojo jumped from the tub when I offered the rat I had to catch him, mid air, and the rat that he was wrapping! Crazy!! One of my boas darn near ate my knee instead of the rat!! Another boa thought perhaps my face might be a good thing to go for!! And my spider thought perhaps if she hit the cage door hard enough she could get the rat that was for the snake in the cage above her!!! Crazy feeding night and crazy awesome feeding responses!!!!

Lets just chalk it up to planetary confluences
    Last edited by starmom; 11-24-2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: forgot something

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I thought it might be a breeding issue because he is a little over a year old so this would be his first dabble into adolescence and I know it can be a confusing time... But like I said the husbandry is fine and he's eating like a horse so I guess there isn't an issue. I'll pick up a new alarm clock for his enclosure and see if that helps

Thanks

if BP are in fact crepuscular could u not train them to be out during the day? I was thinking, the only way a captive bred BP could tell the difference IMO from day to night is the lighting, unless they do infact have some internal clock or more insticnts then I am giving them credit for. So what I am getting at is I am wondering if anyone has every tried switching around the light cycle on a BP to see what the affects are? (dark during our days, and light during out nights)